ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2012, 08:47 AM   #76
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer: 4,800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul Duke View Post
Paul - Post #15 2nd 1/2. Straight from the CBD press release/website.

http://www.biologicaldiversity.org/n...9-13-2012.html
I guess I should have read that whole thing. It does seem to say exactly what viverrid was stating, but back in Sept (when that was published) the local OHV community was all on board with what the FS was doing about the issue. I am hesitant to believe anything published by the CBD, but I would like to understand more about this statement.
Pablo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:06 AM   #77
Assfault
Exposed Member

Oddometer: 2,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo83 View Post
I am hesitant to believe anything published by the CBD, but I would like to understand more about this statement.
Pablo,
Im with you in not trusting the CBD. Quoting below a section of the report.....

"A recent habitat assessment, commissioned by the national forest itself, shows erosion from ORV trails is destroying trout habitat by filling deepwater pools the fish need to survive winter and drought and to hide from predators. ORVs can also spread diseases and start wildfires. According to the Colorado Division of Wildlife, greenback in Bear Creek are in steep decline."

Could some please explain to me how ORV, which I am assuming is short for "Off Road Vehicles" Can spread diseases? Also, when was the last time a ORV started a wildfire?

That statement alone sends warning signals to me, because they have no idea what may be killing, if that is really happening, the fish up in the Capt Jacks area.

The lower section of that trail from the parkng lot to High Drive is the most used, and the most torn up. A reroute was done a couple three years ago in that section, to good effect. There was some sections that if riding my head was below where the groundline natually occured. I can remember when that same section was only a few inches, as that is how long I have been riding C Jacks. It's not just the bikes, it's all of the users. If they can't see that simple fact, their actions excluding the bikers is a singleminded objective to get them off the mountain. It''s that simple.

Keep up the fight!
* Assfault, Ass-Fault, Ms Ass, thier neighbors or friends, are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you using this forum in the pursuit of adventure greatness. Avoid taking ADV before bed time. Do not use if you experince faintness, dizzniess, inversness, difficulty urinating or an erection lasting longer than 4 hours. Thank you*
Assfault is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:26 AM   #78
duct tape
Lost

Oddometer: 465
Everyone here is on the same team. Most of us have been involved physically and/or financially for our trails for a long time. The real problem, other than the CBD and their ilk, are the much larger majority of riders who take, riding every weekend, but never give back.

Memories of Jacks:

First rode it in 1991. Lots of folks here with much longer histories.

Decided I wanted to be Doug Henry after his circa 1998 4-stroke moto win and took a new, stock YZ400 up for an evening ride by myself. Wasn't my first judgement error but was almost my last.

Helped a buddy fish his bike back up to the trail after a LONG slide down the north slope on the side hill east of the first creek crossing. Might have been better off illegally descending down to 666. Required two ropes and a come along. Swore I'd never ride the trail again.

Following week, went with Bugsy up Pipeline and over Nelson's after a BIG rain. Another in long string of poor decisions. Ruts down the middle were deeper than tires. New rocks the size of grown babies everywhere. Turned into a marathon push and puke session. I now have very fond memories of that ride.

Raised three sons on Jacks. Rode up the harder sections for them. Following month same son is off front and tired of waiting for Dad. Such is life. A good one.

Received worst dirt bike injury yet on Crankcase Allley. At a dead stop! Watching Bugsy struggle on a rock ledge and laughing. Put foot down but no rock, only air. Broke 4 ribs and thumb. Finished ride and didn't even start hurting until that night. Four months recovery.

Autumn rides up to the point above High Drive to watch sunset over Rosa and Baldy then back down to the house in the dark.

Late fall rides, like this year, up past the beaver ponds on a carpet of fallen aspen leaves.

The time the three of us decided the snowbank on North Cheyenne Ck would not stop us that year on an early season ride.

Hitting the gate post at the lower lot with my handguard and eating it in front of a large group. Same post and fence I helped build. Karma.

Lots more like that. I'm giving all I can hoping there will be lots more.

Link again to donate to TPA: http://coloradotpa.org/participate/donate.html
Trails Preservation Alliance www.coloradotpa.org
Colorado OHV Coalition www.cohvco.org

duct tape screwed with this post 11-25-2012 at 11:20 AM
duct tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:10 AM   #79
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer: 4,800
I love your stories about that trail, Duct tape. One of my poker buddies attempted Jack's solo on an XR600 in the mid 90's. It took him 4 hours to get out of the woods and it scared him to death. Because of that trail he sold the XR and bought an ATV and hasn't visited Jack's since.

To me it's important that we keep trails of this difficulty level open. I've run into a couple trail poachers who say they do it because nothing that is legal to ride is challenging enough. When there are trails like Jack's open there are no excuses for poaching.
Pablo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:18 AM   #80
modette
RMAR

Oddometer: 4,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo83 View Post
I love your stories about that trail, Duct tape. One of my poker buddies attempted Jack's solo on an XR600 in the mid 90's. It took him 4 hours to get out of the woods and it scared him to death. Because of that trail he sold the XR and bought an ATV and hasn't visited Jack's since.

To me it's important that we keep trails of this difficulty level open. I've run into a couple trail poachers who say they do it because nothing that is legal to ride is challenging enough. When there are trails like Jack's open there are no excuses for poaching.
modette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:51 AM   #81
_Jocko_
n00b

Oddometer: 3
They seem to be having issues with their site. Haven't been able to access that page (or several others on their site) to register or donate.

Edit: Seems to be working now... Money sent!
_Jocko_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:54 AM   #82
_Jocko_
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
DO NOT misconstrue my riding Jacks this last weekend as anything related to a show of force or any other crap like that.
Good to meet you yesterday!

Newbie on the 450x
_Jocko_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:05 AM   #83
Raul Duke
DROC

Oddometer: 1,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Jocko_ View Post
Good to meet you yesterday!

Newbie on the 450x
Geat to meet you yesterday, welcome to ADVRider. Thank you very much for the donation.
Every donation counts!
COHVCO
TPA
Raul Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:55 PM   #84
Wings
marmaduked

Oddometer: 14,188
Quote:
DO NOT misconstrue my riding Jacks this last weekend as anything related to a show of force or any other crap like that.

Jacks has a very near and dear place in my heart. I think Duct Tape stated it very well – “Lots of folks saying goodbye to an old friend.” Jacks was the very first true Colorado singletrack I rode all those years ago (Thank you Papa and Indy) – that was longer ago than I care to admit these days. I saw riders today that I don’t think I have seen on that trail in 15 years. I have to say it really got to me.

This weekend is a bit of closure for me. If I cannot ride that trail again in the future (I hope and pray that is not the case), at least I was able to revisit the memories that I have made there over the years.

I give what I can, volunteer when I can, I preach the riders gospel every chance I get.
I have no doubts as to your reason for a last chance to ride the trail, I wish I could have joined you. I do hope and believe most folks understand the difference between purposely attracting negative attention to dirtbikes as a group and taking the opportunity to ride the trail that makes our town special for us

I don't think I did, but if I you feel I gave that impression, I apologize to you and anyone outside the discussion reading this, that was definitely not the intention! I suppose I caused you to feel the need to clarify since someone else tried pointing fingers at you because I voiced my opinion about that person's idea, so I'll apologize to you anyway-you had absolutely nothing to do with the reason for my posts, it was strictly about a very poor (IMO) direct public approach to a sensitive issue that is throwing a lot more tinder into the fire for opposing groups.

And you're spot on....it's a sad day for sure but brings back so many great memories!

Keep the rubber side down and enjoy the ride

Smugmug coupon code: CKZQ0vLPlmLFw
Wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:43 PM   #85
dmac1
Desert SW Luvr

Oddometer: 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Jocko_ View Post
They seem to be having issues with their site. Haven't been able to access that page (or several others on their site) to register or donate.

Edit: Seems to be working now... Money sent!
Its not working right now. I've tried repeatedly. It says the website has exceeded its resources allocation. I've never ridden Jacks but will make a contribution to TPA, when I can. Its time I joined them too, but I'm getting spread too thin.

BTW....if you guys ride in Utah, take some of your frustration to the New National Monument thread and at least sign the ARRA letter to president obama. (I know some of you have already seen it...thanks for your help!).

Dave
Old 11-25-2012, 02:44 PM   #86
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by modette View Post
I will apologies for Wings as he keeps taking this off topic with his BS...
still as clueless as ever...
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:26 PM   #87
duct tape
Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac1 View Post
Its not working right now. I've tried repeatedly. It says the website has exceeded its resources allocation. I've never ridden Jacks but will make a contribution to TPA, when I can. Its time I joined them too, but I'm getting spread too thin.

Dave
Have contacted TPA, hopefully will be working soon. Please check back. Thx.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:28 PM   #88
duct tape
Lost

The donate link I posted earlier isn't working consistently. You can just go to the main page, below, and then click on "Participate" on top and then "Donate" on the left side of the page and the correct page seems to load that way.

Thanks!

http://coloradotpa.org/
Old 11-25-2012, 03:32 PM   #89
singletrackslayer
Legalize singletrack

Oddometer: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Assfault View Post
Could some please explain to me how ORV, which I am assuming is short for "Off Road Vehicles" Can spread diseases? Also, when was the last time a ORV started a wildfire?
To the best of my knowledge, a "ORV" has never started a fire. A car parking in a dry grassy field has(hot muffler+drygrass touching it=fire).

As for the speading disease thing-
I've had to moniter events to make sure that every bike went thru a trough with an anitseptic solution in it. The theory is that microscopic invasive species latch onto your tire (like when you cross a stream). Those same species fall off in a different environment(say next stream crossing on a different ride) where they haven't ever been introduced and can flurish. This is the same thing that is going on with motorized watercraft(no such laws for riverrafts, weird huh?) and the Zebra Mussel. This is also why wildland firefighting vehicles have to be washed between every fire(to rid of invasive species).

I don't know about any of you, but my bike gets washed all the effin time. Like I said before, whens the last time you washed your hiking boots(me, never have now that i think about it)? There needs to be a study about that . . .

I would love to help out more here, but my thoughts keep going to the utah/canyonlands debacle. Jacks is only 1 trail and its not that difficult(of a trail).
Old 11-25-2012, 04:55 PM   #90
dmac1
Desert SW Luvr

Oddometer: 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by duct tape View Post
The donate link I posted earlier isn't working consistently. You can just go to the main page, below, and then click on "Participate" on top and then "Donate" on the left side of the page and the correct page seems to load that way.

Thanks!

http://coloradotpa.org/
That worked. Thanks.