Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2012, 05:36 PM   #1
A.S.F. OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Bikes you love sooo much you just can't sell.

Just read through the "Bikes you didn't like" thread and thought some love stories would be fun to read.

I'll start. I have a 2005 YELLOW sv650s that I have had since it was just a wee baby with 400 miles.
I did my research and read reviews, it really sounded like the bike for me and boy-howdy was it!

I love that thing and even though we've had great times together and I am ready to move on, I just can't.

Even though polygamy always makes me feel like I'm neglecting one of them( which I do), I think she'll be with me for ever.......or until my son turns 16. I've got 6 years, I'll be ok with it by then. Right?
A.S.F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:02 PM   #2
lilsmokey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
Well Im 16 now and I regret selling EVERY single bike I have ever owned. Up to now thats about 11. I have a sickening disease. It makes me sell what I have to buy what I dont. and that has left me in the shitter more than once.
I ride a bullet. A 2 wheeled, multiple-explosion powered machine with enough moving parts to remove entire fingers. Surfaces hot enough to cook flesh. It propels me at neck-breaking, bone-snapping flesh-tearing speeds, over and trough obstacle's I can only see as blurs. Its a sport that kills the careless, maims the best, and spits at the concept of mercy.

lilsmokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:08 PM   #3
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,760
I have this thing about CX/GL500s. First time I saw one was 1978 when an older couple rode one into the Italian motorcycle shop where I was working. I was very impressed with the design but couldn't afford one. 15 years later I bought my first one and put 90,000 miles on it. Bought my second one then traded it for a GL1000 but it just didn't fit my needs and I always missed the 500. Recently bought a GL500 Interstate so I'm a happy man again. I'll have this one for a long long time.
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:16 PM   #4
Lomax
Nanu-Nanu Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,806
I also have regretted selling most of the bikes over the years BUT it has made it possible to have others and get more experiances. I know I will sell it one day but the one I have now that would be really hard to get rid of is my GB500. And yes I always regretted selling my mint 1974 Notron Commando. And yea my R100RS LE might be a keeper until grave time. Heck I dont' know.

Marc
Old 11-21-2012, 07:30 PM   #5
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,795
My KTM Super Enduro just does something to me. I have owned many different bikes over the years.....but this one bike just makes me go YES!!!! I have spent more time making this bike "mine" and tweaking things, that most riders would not care abou,t that I could not let it go.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:50 PM   #6
JOKER650
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,533
It's only been 4 years....but it's my daily transporter to work , fire road burner and bush bike.

When I first saw one..

When I first bough it.

How I felt afer the first 1 km

when I will give it to the kid

How I will feel when I can't ride any more

Over 2000 plated dirt riders...Digg'n up the dirt every other day, all over BC

http://www.dualsportbc.com/
JOKER650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:07 AM   #7
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,733
I have one. No it is not a KLR

A 1995 KLX650c, purchased 7 years ago with only 2,900 miles on it. I like because a lot of people never heard of if and secondly it was a fairly modern bike as Japanese bikes go.

I was told you could not get parts and there was no aftermarket. I guess if you buy your parts off the shelf that is true.

This one has a big bore to 678cc. The 5 gal tank is one of the last batch of 15 before Acerbis broke the mold. The rear suspension is a combo of a shock off a 400DRZ coupled with a custom spring and shorter links from a 2010 Suzuki 250s. The ugly seat is one I made, but it fits my but pretty good. Fender and windscreen something I picked up along the way.

It works pretty well with 11" travel in the front and 12" in the rear. I guesstimate power to the ground at 45hp if not a little more.

The best part is it has a little of me in it.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:48 AM   #8
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,533
How about bikes you love and hate so much you can't bring yourself to sell or junk? As in the third one in my signature. I bought it new the year they came out. It is both the first bike I loved and the first one I hated.

I was young, all dual sports sucked then and I poured effort into it trying to make it work. The engine was heavily modified back in the day and it runs like an old 125 MX bike. But it still sucks in every way.

I am not sure why I keep it. I wouldn't ride the POS on a dare. But for some reason I like having it in the garage. Maybe it is just the memory of being young.

Grreatdog screwed with this post 11-22-2012 at 07:56 AM
Grreatdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:55 AM   #9
arkansawyer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,934
I bought my hawk gt new. It just makes me smile.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:59 AM   #10
norther
Mind=Yes Body=No

Oddometer: 189
I want to sell my 1098. But every time I ride it I fall in love again.
Damn Italian bitch!!!
norther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:39 AM   #11
Angry Wookie
Running On Fumes

Oddometer: 225
My 2001 Honda CBR 929. I bought it new and have been in love with it ever since. I use to work for a motorcycle dealer so I had lots of opportunities to ride all sorts of bikes but none has ever put a smile on my face like the CBR. Unfortunately knee problems won't let me ride that style of bike for very long anymore. It has basically sat in my garage for the last three years but every time I start to think about selling it something in me says no. I keep hoping that by next summer I'll have enough time and money to do track days so I can actually get that bike out doing what it loves to do. Of course I've been saying that for about three years so who knows
Old 11-22-2012, 08:49 AM   #12
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Oddometer: 1,994
99 XL1200s

For me, it's my Sportster. I have the 1200cc "sport" model. I've had a number of road bikes before this one. A couple 70's era BMW's, several liter class IL4's from the rising sun. Yada, yada. But this bike is very different from the rest. Every time I ride it, I just laugh at how fun it is. Very easy bike to live with. Bought it new in the fall of 98. After 13 years of ownership, I just can't grow tired or bored of it. Most of my riding hours are spent on dual sports, including my daily commute to work. Other bikes will come and go through the stable, but this one stays for good.
fastdadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:56 AM   #13
Chris618
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 795
950sm. Never ride it, keep saying I should sell it, but one ride changes my mind.

Chris618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:09 AM   #14
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Oddometer: 7,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
I have one. No it is not a KLR

A 1995 KLX650c, purchased 7 years ago with only 2,900 miles on it. I like because a lot of people never heard of if and secondly it was a fairly modern bike as Japanese bikes go.

I was told you could not get parts and there was no aftermarket. I guess if you buy your parts off the shelf that is true.

This one has a big bore to 678cc. The 5 gal tank is one of the last batch of 15 before Acerbis broke the mold. The rear suspension is a combo of a shock off a 400DRZ coupled with a custom spring and shorter links from a 2010 Suzuki 250s. The ugly seat is one I made, but it fits my but pretty good. Fender and windscreen something I picked up along the way.

It works pretty well with 11" travel in the front and 12" in the rear. I guesstimate power to the ground at 45hp if not a little more.

The best part is it has a little of me in it.
I can attest that he hauls ass on it, too.

I've had my BMW R90 since 1994. It's been in my family since 1977, and is the first bike that I ever got to ride on when I was a kid. It's also the only bike on which I was able to win any road races. The odometer is very close to 300K miles, but it might take some time to get there. I bought a DL1000 this Summer, and the power is a bit more intoxicating than the Airhead.

Steve McQueen

Bigger Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:11 AM   #15
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 1,003
I miss my Triumph Bonneville America. It was never the right bike for me, a raked out cruiser. But just like the girl that was never right for you, it is the one you miss the most.

The prev. owner chromed it out, I thought it was a bit over the top when I first saw it but I grew to appreciate the way it made the Cardinal Red paint job pop and the way it reflected the blue skies of Colorado. I rode it to Mexico and it wallowed in the water crossings and the sand but never let me down. When I decided to move to Mexico full time, I knew I could not keep her. My Triumph Tiger Girlie is a better choice for Mexican roads but Bonny was my best girl

Turkeycreek is online now   Reply With Quote