ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2014, 11:04 AM   #16
2Stamp
Gnarly Adventurer
 
2Stamp's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Lehi, UT
Oddometer: 303
Brian, are the Forma Terrain TX true to size? On your site you mention something about Australian fit.

From buying a couple Gaerne's from you I've gone off of the Euro size in my running shoes (Balance Oiled and GX-1). Is this still a good call on the Forma? I'm really considering the Terrain TX at the price point for the mechanical hinge.

thanks.
__________________
_______________________________
2011 F800GS
2014 350XCF-W
2006 450EXC
2014 Honda Grom (hers)
2Stamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 04:24 PM   #17
Brtp4 OP
Yea, its a friggin L
 
Brtp4's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Bend, OR
Oddometer: 1,931
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Stamp View Post
Brian, are the Forma Terrain TX true to size? On your site you mention something about Australian fit.

From buying a couple Gaerne's from you I've gone off of the Euro size in my running shoes (Balance Oiled and GX-1). Is this still a good call on the Forma? I'm really considering the Terrain TX at the price point for the mechanical hinge.

thanks.
Yes on both. Best to use your EU size as the reference.

Hinge is great.

BP
__________________
BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Brtp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 12:51 PM   #18
2Stamp
Gnarly Adventurer
 
2Stamp's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Lehi, UT
Oddometer: 303
And order sent today. Thanks for the input!
__________________
_______________________________
2011 F800GS
2014 350XCF-W
2006 450EXC
2014 Honda Grom (hers)
2Stamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 05:35 PM   #19
levain
STILL Jim Williams
 
levain's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Providence, RI
Oddometer: 6,887
Hey Brian,
shopping for a good MX/dual sport/boot. I've considered something like the Alpinestars Toucan as more of a general use boot, with more offroad protection than my current Vendramini Marathon Steels, but ultimately, I think I'd like a more protective boot, while continuing to wear my Vendraminis for more street/cold/wet riding.

Several years ago, I took a really good spill on my snowboard and jacked up my right ankle really good. It's fine now, but I still feel it, even as I type, so I'm looking for a super protective boot, with ankle protection in mind for dual sporting.

I was just watching the Forma Terrain video and they sounded like exactly what I'd like; until you got to the fit. I have pretty narrow feet! I love the sound of the snugness and the hinge around the ankle of these boots, but am concerned they just won't fit right. I'm a 44 in Vendramini that fit like they used my foot for the mold. They have quite a bit of adjustment though...

Thoughts on fit or other options? I would still consider the Toucans as a replacement for my Vendraminis, to retain waterproofing if you felt the protection was close to something like the Forma Terrain or similar. My Vendraminis will need some TLC soon anyway.. At the end of the day, I'd prefer to have one pair of boots, but understand the compromises that brings.

Best,
__________________
Click Here!
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 XC
2008 Yamaha WR250R
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:03 AM   #20
Brtp4 OP
Yea, its a friggin L
 
Brtp4's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Bend, OR
Oddometer: 1,931
Hi Jim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
Hey Brian,
shopping for a good MX/dual sport/boot. I've considered something like the Alpinestars Toucan as more of a general use boot, with more offroad protection than my current Vendramini Marathon Steels, but ultimately, I think I'd like a more protective boot, while continuing to wear my Vendraminis for more street/cold/wet riding.
I think that is a good plan. The Toucan has more support than any other ADV boot, except perhaps the Sidi Adventure. But there is still a big gap between it and MX boots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
Several years ago, I took a really good spill on my snowboard and jacked up my right ankle really good. It's fine now, but I still feel it, even as I type, so I'm looking for a super protective boot, with ankle protection in mind for dual sporting.
Again, you have the right idea.


Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
I was just watching the Forma Terrain video and they sounded like exactly what I'd like; until you got to the fit. I have pretty narrow feet! I love the sound of the snugness and the hinge around the ankle of these boots, but am concerned they just won't fit right. I'm a 44 in Vendramini that fit like they used my foot for the mold. They have quite a bit of adjustment though...
I am not too concerned them fitting you, as long as you went with the welt version. The rear half of the foot area is fairly slim. I think it will hold your foot in place, to the point that the width in the foot chamber is a non-issue. Adding a footbed will help most likely.

That said....the light weight of these is at least partially due to the fact that there is not as much internal padding as higher end models. They smoke everything else at this price point, but they will be a stark transition from your Vendraminis, in general and compared to some other MX boots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
Thoughts on fit or other options? I would still consider the Toucans as a replacement for my Vendraminis, to retain waterproofing if you felt the protection was close to something like the Forma Terrain or similar. My Vendraminis will need some TLC soon anyway.. At the end of the day, I'd prefer to have one pair of boots, but understand the compromises that brings.

Best,
If you were going to have only one pair, the Toucans are probably the best all around model. That said, it is still a wise idea to use MX boots, for dirt-heavy ADV. This cannot be overstated.

IMO the best options within that context are, in order of price point:

up to $150: Moose M1
Up to $200: Gaerne GX-1
Up to $300: Forma Terrain TX
Up to $400: Gaerne SG-10
Up to $500: Gaerne SG-12
"Open Class" Sidi Crossfire TA

At the $200 level, you get Italian fit.
At the $300 level, you get a mechanical hinge (BIG plus)
At the $400 level, get a lot of internal padding.
AT the $500 level, you get the

The SG-10s are perhaps the most comfortable on this list. They are heavy, at about 5 lbs.
The SG-12s are slimmer and more narrow in the forefoot, in a good way. They are also lighter.
I just started riding in the Crossfire TAs. They are excellent, but actually less padded than some other models. I struggle to compare and describe them, they feel more hard, rigid, "serious". Ironically, I would apply the same words to the Terrains.

Gotta run, will finish this later....

BP
__________________
BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Brtp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 12:35 PM   #21
levain
STILL Jim Williams
 
levain's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Providence, RI
Oddometer: 6,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brtp4 View Post
Hi Jim.



I think that is a good plan. The Toucan has more support than any other ADV boot, except perhaps the Sidi Adventure. But there is still a big gap between it and MX boots.



Again, you have the right idea.




I am not too concerned them fitting you, as long as you went with the welt version. The rear half of the foot area is fairly slim. I think it will hold your foot in place, to the point that the width in the foot chamber is a non-issue. Adding a footbed will help most likely.

That said....the light weight of these is at least partially due to the fact that there is not as much internal padding as higher end models. They smoke everything else at this price point, but they will be a stark transition from your Vendraminis, in general and compared to some other MX boots.



If you were going to have only one pair, the Toucans are probably the best all around model. That said, it is still a wise idea to use MX boots, for dirt-heavy ADV. This cannot be overstated.

IMO the best options within that context are, in order of price point:

up to $150: Moose M1
Up to $200: Gaerne GX-1
Up to $300: Forma Terrain TX
Up to $400: Gaerne SG-10
Up to $500: Gaerne SG-12
"Open Class" Sidi Crossfire TA

At the $200 level, you get Italian fit.
At the $300 level, you get a mechanical hinge (BIG plus)
At the $400 level, get a lot of internal padding.
AT the $500 level, you get the

The SG-10s are perhaps the most comfortable on this list. They are heavy, at about 5 lbs.
The SG-12s are slimmer and more narrow in the forefoot, in a good way. They are also lighter.
I just started riding in the Crossfire TAs. They are excellent, but actually less padded than some other models. I struggle to compare and describe them, they feel more hard, rigid, "serious". Ironically, I would apply the same words to the Terrains.

Gotta run, will finish this later....

BP
Excellent start. Thanks. I wish I could just sit in your shop and try them all on to decide. That would make it much easier!
__________________
Click Here!
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 XC
2008 Yamaha WR250R
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 12:56 PM   #22
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown
 
YetiGS's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: San Diego
Oddometer: 7,307
I'm going to join in since, as you know Brian, I'm looking for new ADV boots. Last year I wore my Gaerne Balance Pro's on my desert southwest trip. They are incredibly comfortable but the whole trip (especially on the rocky trail above Sedona) I kept thinking, "These boots don't have much more support or protection than my Aerostitch Combat Lites. I wish I had more protection."


When I went to Baja in October in wore my Gaerne SG12's. Big mistake. They are the most comfortable MX boot I've ever worn, but they're not comfortable for 12 hour days or for walking around. They are also so bulky that shifting was an issue, even with the adjustable shifter I have. I missed a couple of shifts at times when I really didn't want to be left in the wrong gear.


So, I need something between the Balance Pro and the SG12. I was leaning towards the Toucan until I saw this. Now I'm questioning everything!! (Is craft beer really better than Coors Lite?? Ok, that's a definite YES!! )
Edit: Waterproofness is not really a consideration for me...


What do you recommend BP? You have a pretty good idea of the riding I do.
__________________
-Scott-
Semper Fi
'04 BMW R1150GSA, '04 KTM 625 SXC
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112

YetiGS screwed with this post 03-12-2014 at 01:13 PM
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 01:10 PM   #23
Brtp4 OP
Yea, its a friggin L
 
Brtp4's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Bend, OR
Oddometer: 1,931
Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
Excellent start. Thanks. I wish I could just sit in your shop and try them all on to decide. That would make it much easier!
Better if you could have joined us last Saturday, when we discussed this very topic.....



BP
__________________
BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Brtp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 02:31 PM   #24
levain
STILL Jim Williams
 
levain's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Providence, RI
Oddometer: 6,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brtp4 View Post
Better if you could have joined us last Saturday, when we discussed this very topic.....



BP
That settles it. Next time, me and Yeti are gonna meet up in Bend to solve the Boot dilemma as well as the Beer one
__________________
Click Here!
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 XC
2008 Yamaha WR250R
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 02:36 PM   #25
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown
 
YetiGS's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: San Diego
Oddometer: 7,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
That settles it. Next time, me and Yeti are gonna meet up in Bend to solve the Boot dilemma as well as the Beer one
I'll be up there around the first week of August!
__________________
-Scott-
Semper Fi
'04 BMW R1150GSA, '04 KTM 625 SXC
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 02:43 PM   #26
Brtp4 OP
Yea, its a friggin L
 
Brtp4's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Bend, OR
Oddometer: 1,931
Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiGS View Post
I'm going to join in since, as you know Brian, I'm looking for new ADV boots. Last year I wore my Gaerne Balance Pro's on my desert southwest trip. They are incredibly comfortable but the whole trip (especially on the rocky trail above Sedona) I kept thinking, "These boots don't have much more support or protection than my Aerostitch Combat Lites. I wish I had more protection."

When I went to Baja in October in wore my Gaerne SG12's. Big mistake. They are the most comfortable MX boot I've ever worn, but they're not comfortable for 12 hour days or for walking around. They are also so bulky that shifting was an issue, even with the adjustable shifter I have. I missed a couple of shifts at times when I really didn't want to be left in the wrong gear.

So, I need something between the Balance Pro and the SG12. I was leaning towards the Toucan until I saw this. Now I'm questioning everything!! (Is craft beer really better than Coors Lite?? Ok, that's a definite YES!! )

What do you recommend BP? You have a pretty good idea of the riding I do.
My feeling is that you should wear your SG-12s. It is possible that another model of MX boot may feel a little better, but that is both an individual and incremental equation, as the SG-12s are pretty darned good.

Once you go from MX boots into the ADV category, I feel the Toucan has everything else covered, except perhaps the Sidi Adventure, which I feel does not fit nearly as well.

BP
__________________
BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Brtp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 03:00 PM   #27
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown
 
YetiGS's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: San Diego
Oddometer: 7,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brtp4 View Post
My feeling is that you should wear your SG-12s. It is possible that another model of MX boot may feel a little better, but that is both an individual and incremental equation, as the SG-12s are pretty darned good.

Once you go from MX boots into the ADV category, I feel the Toucan has everything else covered, except perhaps the Sidi Adventure, which I feel does not fit nearly as well.

BP
Thanks BP. I hear you on the SG-12's. They are the best MX boot I've ever worn. It's like they were custom made for me. They're just too much on the GSA.


Toucans it is then!
__________________
-Scott-
Semper Fi
'04 BMW R1150GSA, '04 KTM 625 SXC
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 04:54 PM   #28
levain
STILL Jim Williams
 
levain's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Providence, RI
Oddometer: 6,887
Leaning towards the Forma Terrain (still-and it seems like the protection is better), but I have yet to experience the legendary Gaerne fit and quality.

Between the Terrain or GX-1, which do you think would fit a narrow foot better? I'm a 44 in Euro shoes/boots and 10US. Maybe, I should order both and send one back? $300 was right around my budget.
__________________
Click Here!
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 XC
2008 Yamaha WR250R
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 05:29 PM   #29
Brtp4 OP
Yea, its a friggin L
 
Brtp4's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Bend, OR
Oddometer: 1,931
Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
Leaning towards the Forma Terrain (still-and it seems like the protection is better), but I have yet to experience the legendary Gaerne fit and quality.

Between the Terrain or GX-1, which do you think would fit a narrow foot better? I'm a 44 in Euro shoes/boots and 10US. Maybe, I should order both and send one back? $300 was right around my budget.
Hi Jim.

I am not sure, but my feeling is that the Forma will hold your foot better, as the ankle and heel are more slim. Apart from the fit, I would lean that way regardless because of the hinge.

Not to muddy the waters, but....http://www.atomic-moto.com/Gaerne-G-...ots_p_589.html

BP
__________________
BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Brtp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 11:11 PM   #30
Afry
Why hike?
 
Afry's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Ramona, Ca
Oddometer: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brtp4 View Post
That said, it is still a wise idea to use MX boots, for dirt-heavy ADV. This cannot be overstated.

IMO the best options within that context are, in order of price point:

up to $150: Moose M1
Up to $200: Gaerne GX-1
Up to $300: Forma Terrain TX
Up to $400: Gaerne SG-10
Up to $500: Gaerne SG-12
"Open Class" Sidi Crossfire TA

At the $200 level, you get Italian fit.
At the $300 level, you get a mechanical hinge (BIG plus)
At the $400 level, get a lot of internal padding.
AT the $500 level, you get the

The SG-10s are perhaps the most comfortable on this list. They are heavy, at about 5 lbs.
The SG-12s are slimmer and more narrow in the forefoot, in a good way. They are also lighter.
I just started riding in the Crossfire TAs. They are excellent, but actually less padded than some other models. I struggle to compare and describe them, they feel more hard, rigid, "serious". Ironically, I would apply the same words to the Terrains.

Gotta run, will finish this later....

BP
Please keep trying to tell them Brian - adventure boots may be comfortable for a few hours but a cast sucks for 6 weeks minimum. Low speed tip over crushed my foot breaking 3 Metatarsals wearing G Midlands - price has NOTHING to do with protection.

Crossfire's are my only riding boot from now on for easy or hard riding days or even a week and are pretty dang comfortable.

Get a hinged boot and you will have good protection and will be able to walk just fine the first day.
__________________
KTM 950 SE
KTM 525 EXC X2


Get on with riding or get on with dying - one or the other
Afry is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014