Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2014, 05:03 AM   #31
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brtp4 View Post
Hi Jim.

I am not sure, but my feeling is that the Forma will hold your foot better, as the ankle and heel are more slim. Apart from the fit, I would lean that way regardless because of the hinge.

Not to muddy the waters, but....http://www.atomic-moto.com/Gaerne-G-...ots_p_589.html

BP
Oy Vey. Now you've done it One of the reviews on your site said they were great for wide feet. I guess I'm a little sensitive about this issue since I have a problem with some boots/shoes. To give an idea, I'm one of those guys that has his laces tightened all the way on tennis shoes or hiking boots.

Still leaning towards the Forma Terrain for the hinge and it looks from all these boots, like they have the best ankle protection??
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 07:59 PM   #32
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Got my boots!

I'm so glad I found this thread several weeks ago. I was looking for some proper dirt boots, and the more I looked the more confused I got.
Without stroking Brian too much, let me just say what a great buying experience it was with my new boots. After lots of back and forth both on ADV, and some time on the phone, I decided that the Forma Terrain were probably the right boot for me. Brian suggested I also try the Sidi Charger and Iím glad I did.

Forma Terrain

I had him send both, and Iíd send back a pair. The Forma are on their way back to Bend. If I had just the Forma, theyíd be fine, but compared to the Charger.. For me, thereís no comparison. The Sidi Charger are that little bit more comfortable. The build quality is that much better. The buckles are a little better. But, mostly, its the fit, and that is a personal thing obviously. I have pretty narrow feet. Iím the guy that pulls his laces tight on his shoes and wish he could pull them tighter. These boots fit well. A couple years ago, I took a good spill on a snowboard and tweaked my ankle. I still feel it, and likely will forever. These boots lock my ankle in like a snug ski boot. For me, that is a ďgoodĒ feeling. I feel secure in these boots, and thatís what I was looking for. The Forma fit my narrow feet pretty well. If I kept them, I'd probably add an insole and be quite happy. I don't think I'll need to add one to the Chargers, but it wouldn't be the first time I've thought that, only to add one once the boots or shoes are broken in. Damn funny feet

Sidi Charger

The toe box feels about the same on both boots, but the Charger are quite a bit narrower around the ankles. In fact, its a little bit of a struggle to get my foot past the ankle of the boot. Well, maybe struggle is a little dramatic, but it takes a bit of a push. With the Formas, my foot slips right in. Once in the Charger, they are immediately snug in all the right places and the buckles didnít need to be adjusted much from factory.

Sidi Buckles

Forma Buckles

As Brian mentioned in one of his posts, the Forma seem to be missing a little bit of internal padding here and there. Honestly, this only became apparent when I put the Chargers on. Again, if I had ordered the Forma, and had nothing else to compare to, Iíd be quite happy. I intentionally tried the Forma before the Charger for this reason.

Itís worth mentioning that it looks like the Forma Terrain are a fully certified CE boot under EN 13634 as PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) if that is important to you. You can read more about it here.

Both boots have elastic at the top. I donít know if this is standard for MX boots, since these are the first that Iíve owned. They snug up around a pair of pants, but are also tight enough to be fine with just some socks.

Sidi Charger

The soles on both are replaceable, and are quite different. At first glance, they seem similar, but while the Sidi feel like a tough rubber, the Forma almost feel like plastic. Not sure that matters either way, but thought Iíd mention.

Sidi Charger

Forma Terrain

Sidi on the bottom, Forma on top

I guess the biggest negative with both boots, is that I canít wear my Rukka Armas pants with them. Theyíre just too bulky, but I suspect thats true of most MX boots. Thatís a real bummer for me. It's going to take some time to get used to stiffer boots, with so much protection from all the plastic, but I know its just a matter of time.

I'm really glad Brian recommended these Chargers. Its rare to find such a great fitting boot or shoe with my narrow foot. If you have a narrow foot, these are worth checking out!
1971 Lambretta DL
Old 03-31-2014, 03:46 AM   #33
NVTS
stupid hipster dufus

Oddometer: 606
A suggestion for the Chargers....
Wear a pair of long wristbands around lower shin, above ankle. This will relieve the pressure on your shins when standing.
When they start to squeak, be proud, squeaking is cool.
NVTS
NVTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 03:57 AM   #34
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oh they're gonna squeak? I was going to mention that the forma squeak while chargers don't.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk
1971 Lambretta DL
Old 03-31-2014, 06:01 AM   #35
NVTS
stupid hipster dufus

Oddometer: 606
Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
Oh they're gonna squeak? I was going to mention that the forma squeak while chargers don't.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk
Like a motel bed on prom night
NVTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 06:07 PM   #36
Brtp4 OP
Do what you love.

Oddometer: 1,970
Nice Review

Well considered and written review Levain....thanks. Frankly I should probably step back and reconsider my opinions of the two, and how we present them to riders. I am a little Forma Terrain-biased as they are wider, but seeing someone else's pics side by side the finishing is clearly better on the Sidi. I also think your comment:

"the Charger are quite a bit narrower around the ankles. In fact......to get my foot past the ankle of the boot........takes a bit of a push........Once in the Charger, they are immediately snug in all the right places and the buckles didnít need to be adjusted much from factory."

....should be borne out, as that is what you want in the ankle area.

Again, thanks for the comparo.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Brtp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 11:58 AM   #37
Brtp4 OP
Do what you love.

Terrain Enduro Boots - Lugged Sole

Forma Terrain ENDURO Boots

Looking for a lightweight off road boots with a lugged sole? Forma just released an Enduro version of their Terrain boot.

For more info, go to www.atomic-moto.com/forma-terrain-enduro

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Old 05-25-2014, 04:47 PM   #38
tmEvol
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Question

I ride with a pair of Resurgence Gear jeans for my commute to work. Do you think I could fit the jeans OVER the Sidi Chargers?
I know I can fit my jeans over a pair of Sidi Adventure Gore-Tex boots.
I'd get a pair of Crossfire 2 SRS's, but I think they are probably too bulky up top to slide under the jeans.
tmEvol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 09:13 AM   #39
Brtp4 OP
Do what you love.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmEvol View Post
I ride with a pair of Resurgence Gear jeans for my commute to work. Do you think I could fit the jeans OVER the Sidi Chargers?
I know I can fit my jeans over a pair of Sidi Adventure Gore-Tex boots.
I'd get a pair of Crossfire 2 SRS's, but I think they are probably too bulky up top to slide under the jeans.
Hello tmEvol.

My apologies, but I am not familiar with that jean. The Chargers are smaller than the Crossfires, but only very slightly so..

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Old 07-15-2014, 01:25 PM   #40
kbroderick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,042
So after using my foot to keep my bike from landing on its cylinder head in a zero-MPH tipover and bruising the heck out of my foot, I'm thinking that my Balances aren't the right tool for pretending that my 1150GS is a [500-pound] dirt bike. I've also come to the conclusion that waterproof boots in general aren't the right thing for this kind of riding, so I'm looking at MX-style boots and you've convinced me that I should shop for a hinged model. I'm generally very happy with the fit and finish of my Balances, so I'm predisposed to buy another Gaerne boot, but I'd like to keep it midrange in price.

So it looks like my best options are the Forma Terrain or the G-React. Knowing that I'm happy with the fit and finish on the Balance, would buying the G-React be most likely to keep me happy?
kbroderick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 02:12 PM   #41
Brtp4 OP
Do what you love.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbroderick View Post
So after using my foot to keep my bike from landing on its cylinder head in a zero-MPH tipover and bruising the heck out of my foot, I'm thinking that my Balances aren't the right tool for pretending that my 1150GS is a [500-pound] dirt bike. I've also come to the conclusion that waterproof boots in general aren't the right thing for this kind of riding, so I'm looking at MX-style boots and you've convinced me that I should shop for a hinged model. I'm generally very happy with the fit and finish of my Balances, so I'm predisposed to buy another Gaerne boot, but I'd like to keep it midrange in price.

So it looks like my best options are the Forma Terrain or the G-React. Knowing that I'm happy with the fit and finish on the Balance, would buying the G-React be most likely to keep me happy?
I think both are excellent, and I recently grabbed a pair of G-Reacts for some on-bike testing. That said, IMO I still like the Formas a little better, as the ankle has a full hinge, whereas the React is a half hinge. The Forma has more plastic / is more rigid around the foot (but still flexes well at the ankle), which I think is better for inadvertently propping up opposed twin engines. Conversely, the Gaerne is a little cushier internally, and frankly has better finishing and materials.

I feel the Forma is slightly better, but sincerely, both are great. The important thing is that you are moving to a more protective boot.

Hope that helps!!

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Old 07-15-2014, 02:30 PM   #42
kbroderick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brtp4 View Post
I think both are excellent, and I recently grabbed a pair of G-Reacts for some on-bike testing. That said, IMO I still like the Formas a little better, as the ankle has a full hinge, whereas the React is a half hinge. The Forma has more plastic / is more rigid around the foot (but still flexes well at the ankle), which I think is better for inadvertently propping up opposed twin engines. Conversely, the Gaerne is a little cushier internally, and frankly has better finishing and materials.

I feel the Forma is slightly better, but sincerely, both are great. The important thing is that you are moving to a more protective boot.

Hope that helps!!

BP
One more important detail:

Which of the three options (G-React, Forma Terrain TX, and Forma Terrain TX HPS) has a thicker sole? With a 29" inseam, every little bit helps...
kbroderick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 03:12 PM   #43
Brtp4 OP
Do what you love.

The HPS have the thickest sole, but I would still get one of the other two, as I like welt soles more.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Old 08-03-2014, 04:48 PM   #44
moose97
Just Some Guy

Oddometer: 182
Hey - nice to look back over this thread. I just watched your videos on the Moose Racing m1.2 boots and am giving them a long hard look. I don't really ride off road, but want good protection, and see that MX boots come in bigger sizes than most other motorcycle boots. Would they fit under work pants/khaki's or would I have to tuck them in? For a daily commuter (in town traffic), would you recommend the Moose? I've got about $150 to spend, so considering they're available in my size (15) and right at my price point, they seem to keep popping up, while many other boots have fallen off after looking further into them (poor reviews or people stating that 15's run small). Thanks for your feedback...
Old 08-04-2014, 01:31 PM   #45
Brtp4 OP
Do what you love.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose97 View Post
Hey - nice to look back over this thread. I just watched your videos on the Moose Racing m1.2 boots and am giving them a long hard look. I don't really ride off road, but want good protection, and see that MX boots come in bigger sizes than most other motorcycle boots. Would they fit under work pants/khaki's or would I have to tuck them in? For a daily commuter (in town traffic), would you recommend the Moose? I've got about $150 to spend, so considering they're available in my size (15) and right at my price point, they seem to keep popping up, while many other boots have fallen off after looking further into them (poor reviews or people stating that 15's run small). Thanks for your feedback...
Hello Moose.

Based on your description, I think this is one of those rare cases where an MX boot actually is overkill. The points that indicate this are the fact that you do not ride off road, that you are using them for commuting, and that you need pants to fit over them. They are a really good boot, but they just do not have that type of usability.

However, there is not a lot of choice at the price point, and in size 15. So, you may end up considering them more seriously anyway.

There are some other choices out there with those specs, but I am less than enthusiastic about much of it. I try to avoid upselling, but frankly your target range makes this difficult, I think your options will expand greatly if you revise it upward a bit.

Or you could err to the side of more protection, sacrificing a little comfort, and stay with the Moose M1s....which would have some wisdom to it.

Hope that helps.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR