Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2014, 05:54 AM   #46
moose97
Just Some Guy

Oddometer: 140
Well, that really puts me in a quandary, I guess. I've been looking at the Moose, the Icon Patrol (but have read issues with the speed lacing system, plus would have to squeeze into a 14 that runs big, and it's a bit over my budget), the Tour Master Solution (which does come in a 15) or the Alpinestars Ridge (again a 14 I'd wonder about fit). The last two also don't seem to offer the ankle support of certainly the Moose or even of the Icon. Care to offer any feedback?

edit - as an aside, the more I think about the Moose MX boots, the more I like the idea of the added height. I've got new pants next on my want list, and wearing 44" and a 36" inseam, I'd be less worried about pant length if my boots came nearly up to my knee

moose97 screwed with this post 08-05-2014 at 07:19 AM
moose97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 04:55 PM   #47
Brtp4 OP
Yea, its a friggin L

Oddometer: 1,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by moose97 View Post
Well, that really puts me in a quandary, I guess. I've been looking at the Moose, the Icon Patrol (but have read issues with the speed lacing system, plus would have to squeeze into a 14 that runs big, and it's a bit over my budget), the Tour Master Solution (which does come in a 15) or the Alpinestars Ridge (again a 14 I'd wonder about fit). The last two also don't seem to offer the ankle support of certainly the Moose or even of the Icon. Care to offer any feedback?

edit - as an aside, the more I think about the Moose MX boots, the more I like the idea of the added height. I've got new pants next on my want list, and wearing 44" and a 36" inseam, I'd be less worried about pant length if my boots came nearly up to my knee
I have mixed feelings about some of the models on your list. The price points are aggressive, but I would prefer to kick this around a little more.

Are you sure you are a size 15 / 50 EU? Take a look here for some good info for finding your size:

If you tip toward a 49 EU, there are a lot more choices that you can target.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Brtp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 05:05 PM   #48
Brtp4 OP
Yea, its a friggin L

Oddometer: 1,959
The point of the thread...

I also want to take a quick moment to reiterate the purpose of this thread: to remind people to think hard about the support that boots provide, equally with the comfort. This is the one place where I can push our mantra of "wear as much boot as you are willing to tolerate" to the ADV riding community:

Thanks,

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Brtp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 06:53 PM   #49
wachs
just passin' through

Oddometer: 4,760
Those S12 Gaerne are broken in and working great for me. 12 days in a row and they saved my feet/legs more than a few times, thanks for the info.

http://www.altrider.com/product/cate...rch/hemisphere

wachs screwed with this post 08-06-2014 at 11:48 AM
wachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 07:57 PM   #50
Zim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brtp4 View Post
I also want to take a quick moment to reiterate the purpose of this thread: to remind people to think hard about the support that boots provide, equally with the comfort. This is the one place where I can push our mantra of "wear as much boot as you are willing to tolerate" to the ADV riding community
Brian guided me into a pair of Moose M1.2 boots (my first true motorcycle boot) this spring. For a while, I thought they were overkill, these tall armored boots. Three weeks ago I dumped the bike in the woods with enough force to put a significant dent in the tank with my left leg. I truly believe that the boots made it possible to ride out of the woods without a broken leg.

Thanks Brian!
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 06:00 AM   #51
kbroderick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 994
So having spent a couple of weekends in my new Forma Terrain TX boots, I'm liking them. It's a bit of an adjustment, being that they are my first pair of real offroad boots—the first day I wore them out of the house, I was just commuting to work. I liked they way they felt on my feet and happy that they have at least as much height underfoot as my Gaerne Balances (important for us short-legged folk). I rolled out of the driveway, made my left turn onto the road, and tried to shift to second. And then I tried again. And again. And finally I got it by hooking my heel under the shift lever.

I've since gotten much more adjusted to them; I think most the of shifts I missed on Saturday were a result of not getting the boot out of the way and allowing the shift lever to return to its "home" position before attempting a second upshift.

As far as protection, I did decide to see how well they'd support 500+ pounds of fine German engineering on Saturday (and that was absolutely the only reason I dropped the bike, of course—just for the sake of science ). My foot wasn't entirely happy with me at the moment, but I didn't have any bruising when I pulled the boot off at the end of the day. I'm pretty sure that's more than I'd have been able to say in the Balance.

I also had a rock or stick or something launch itself at my foot at one point; although I did have to stop and bend the brake pedal back to (roughly) where it belonged, my foot was unperturbed.

There is a downside—feel is much reduced, and I did feel out-of-balance the first few times I stood up on the pegs due to the lack of more precise feedback and inability to make very small adjustments in my position. But overall, I'm very happy with the boots.
kbroderick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 11:13 AM   #52
moose97
Just Some Guy

Oddometer: 140
I want to thank Brian for the advice offered here. I ended up with a lightly used set of MX boots (not the Moose, MSR) off the flea market here on ADV Rider. It's going to take some getting used to on the comfort front, but I'm loving the sense of extra protection I'm getting. I had a couple (non-motorcycle related) ankle and foot injuries over the years, and feel much more secure in the MX boots. Your willingness to offere one-on-one advice won't be forgotten, and Atomic-Moto will get my business soon!