ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2013, 08:33 PM   #151
euromedic
Peter...n00b

Oddometer: 147
My 2006 Uly

Very happy to finally own one.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:42 PM   #152
paul56
Usually gruntled

Oddometer: 123
Nice! The muffler isn't even rusty!
paul56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:57 AM   #153
red450
WEE-A-BOO

Oddometer: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by euromedic View Post
My 2006 Uly

Very happy to finally own one.
Congrats! You got the best color too.
red450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:39 AM   #154
Tuna Helper
Rawrr!

Oddometer: 729
I don't have a Uly, but I have a Lightning. It's the one bike I won't get rid of, but for awhile I was thinking of trading it for a Uly.

I just swapped in the lower primary sprocket from an xb9. It's too cold to get a good test ride, but riding it around the block I can tell it is going to be more of a hoot than it already was.

When I went into the dealer in 08 and saw the line of Buells, I fell in love with the style, and after taking one for a test ride I knew I had to have one. I sat on a Uly and thought it was too tall, but now I'd just like to have a bike with saddle bags and top case.
Tuna Helper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:18 AM   #155
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,896
Been riding Buells since '02 and I love 'em. Really fun motorcycles. They've been the most reliable, trouble-free bikes I've owned in 34 years of motorcycling. Minor mod to the belt tensioner (ie: make it run a little looser) and Uly belts will last just fine. More than enough power and outstanding chassis manners coupled with fine amenities and excellent ergos, even for two.

Lifted this pic off the web because it captures the fun and versatility of the Uly. It's hard to believe you're looking at a comfortable, two-up touring bike.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:51 PM   #156
unlucky1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
Lifted this pic off the web because it captures the fun and versatility of the Uly. It's hard to believe you're looking at a comfortable, two-up touring bike.
I've been a little surprised at how many people assume the bike is uncomfortable. I had a Strom guy joke to me about how it's a ride-to-starbucks bike, not a touring bike. Had to correct him; I'd ride it anywhere. Of the three bikes I've rode to Sturgis, the Ulysses was the best, especially for zipping around the Buffalo Chip campground.
unlucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:28 AM   #157
jonathan.vtec
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
hello boys
do u know if fullbore tyre are good because in italy now have a very good price what do u think?
jonathan.vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:20 AM   #158
unlucky1
Gnarly Adventurer

I am getting ready to ride the Ulysses from Washington State to Texas and back in mid-June - getting the bike in top shape has been a priority. ESPECIALLY that annoying ping from 2500-3000 rolling on throttle that happens at sea level when the bike is hot.

I checked everything I could think of and I refused to throw money at dyno tuning and wideband setups (I'll save that for when I put the 1250 kit on it amirite): TPS, intake seals, static timing, temp sensors. Ran some seafoam through it to clean it out. New spark plugs (previous owner had a heat range too hot) - never want to do that again and I hope the ignition never breaks!

Finally last weekend I think I licked it by retarding the timing by one large mark. Yes! Even with the fan on in traffic I can lug the heck out of it and it won't ping. SUCCESS!

I really love my Buell and I get excited when it's happy.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:31 PM   #159
ERD
Custom Rider

Oddometer: 348
Unlucky, If you are in Texas, let us know and we can go for a ride!
ERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:48 AM   #160
kuuud
n00b

Oddometer: 5
My 06 Uly was fast reliable and fun. Cure the excess engine heat issue and you'll be happy with it. I now ride Buell's best kep secret. An 08 STT. Super fun and comfortable. No hard luggage tho. Once I added the 'pipe' and a race ECM from EBR, the bike became even better. It ran faster and much cooler. I've ridden Buells since 01 and have owned 11. Waiting for a 1190 water-cooled Uly replacement for hopefully around $15-16k.

Www.badweatherbikers.com is the go to forum. Just avoid all the political crap and infighting!!!

08 STT
09 1125CR
98 S1W
Old 05-02-2013, 01:23 PM   #161
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 16,412
This was just parked outside my office. Thought you Buell boys might like it.

pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:28 PM   #162
red450
WEE-A-BOO

Oddometer: 309
You're right!
Old 05-04-2013, 02:09 PM   #163
ronandkat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
uknkucky timing

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlucky1 View Post
I am getting ready to ride the Ulysses from Washington State to Texas and back in mid-June - getting the bike in top shape has been a priority. ESPECIALLY that annoying ping from 2500-3000 rolling on throttle that happens at sea level when the bike is hot.

I checked everything I could think of and I refused to throw money at dyno tuning and wideband setups (I'll save that for when I put the 1250 kit on it amirite): TPS, intake seals, static timing, temp sensors. Ran some seafoam through it to clean it out. New spark plugs (previous owner had a heat range too hot) - never want to do that again and I hope the ignition never breaks!

Finally last weekend I think I licked it by retarding the timing by one large mark. Yes! Even with the fan on in traffic I can lug the heck out of it and it won't ping. SUCCESS!

I really love my Buell and I get excited when it's happy.
Unlucky, im thinking you may have helped identify my problem. For the last several months I had been chasing a ping, tap, rattle from the top end and it is exactly in the 2500-3100 rpm range. I mean at VERY light throttle its not there, but if I roll on the throttle say 1/3 or so, I hear it.. andit remains until I climb up out of the 3100 rpm range or so.. if I just hammer the throttle down it don't really do it, or if it does, not by much.

I noticed it AFTER an oil change, or so I thought. But the thing is I had a new map put on my ECM by Drummer off of his bike (with similar tune) to fix a flat spo up the rpm range. This was done 2 days before the oil change, so maybe in fact the new map messed with the timing? It runs absolutely fantastic from 1500 rpm to redline..

I may have to investigate this timing thing, I was thinking possibly lifters, etc. but was having ahard time figuring lifters, etc acting up, Only in that narrow RPM range.. your timing scenario seems more plausible to me!
ronandkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:04 AM   #164
hendikaf
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 518
buell headlight

Hi guys

Do you guys have a good address where I can buy a headlight ( XB dual )

Thanks

www.HendiKaf.com
hendikaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:00 PM   #165
unlucky1
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronandkat View Post

I may have to investigate this timing thing, I was thinking possibly lifters, etc. but was having ahard time figuring lifters, etc acting up, Only in that narrow RPM range.. your timing scenario seems more plausible to me!
The race map and Drummer ECM ignition maps look the same. If I remember right, the stock ignition map is a little different.

I tried making adjustments to the maps in ECMSpy, but I introduced weirdness and never eliminated the ping that way.

The CAS is an easy thing to adjust. Just make sure to mark it where it was before you started, in case you wanted to revert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendikaf View Post
Hi guys

Do you guys have a good address where I can buy a headlight ( XB dual )

Thanks
http://americansportbike.com has them.