Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2012, 01:42 PM   #31
Sharkguy
chain lube applier

Oddometer: 184
"Ok, here is a bit of info and clarification on the o8-10 uly models.
The x is the one with the 47mm and increased steering lock.
The xt still retained the 43mm forks. And came with factory luggage.
They made both for 08-10That is the major difference in the two bikes."

The X is the more off road version, the XT is the road going version. There are some other differences too. I believe the XT also has a lower seat, and a different front fender arrangement. Other than those things the bike is the same.
I bought an 09 X a couple of years ago from Craigs List. It came with the heated grips, Hepco Becker junior luggage, kako throttle lock, a right side comfort kit, and a palmer windshield system. I like this bike more every time I ride it. It just has more personality then any other bike I have ever owned.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:52 PM   #32
996DL
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,087
New to me screaming yellow 2010 XB12X, as of this past Oct.17,
just days before the snow started to fly...

996DL
996DL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:07 PM   #33
Jayrod1318
Poster

Oddometer: 1,474
Jealous
Old 11-29-2012, 06:50 AM   #34
996DL
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayrod1318 View Post
Jealous
Don't be, I've paid my dues...
Eight years of being dissatisfied, with my owned since new 04 DL1000.

Been overseeing a friend muck about with his 09 XB12X,
since he nabbed it firesale priced, back in 2010...

I've got another four months of winter to hash out my choices, for setting up this 2010 of mine. Free Spirit belt tensioner or not, probably Redline 20/50 in the motor and I'm leaning towards Motul Transoil Expert 10/40 for the trans / primary fill, either Pilot 3's or Metzeler Roadtec Z8's for rubber, 40 litre Hepco & Becker Junior bags for luggage duties down the road, EBR mapped ecm with a stock ceramic coated muffler, turf the heated grips and substitute my beloved Odi Mushroom grips, wire up the Bel Sti Driver and Radar Screamer audio setup off the Strom, yadda, yadda, yadda...

That and get the DL and RG500 ready for sale next year , it's gonna be a busy spring...

996DL

996DL screwed with this post 11-29-2012 at 07:06 AM Reason: just cause...
996DL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:44 AM   #35
red450
WEE-A-BOO

Oddometer: 307
I picked up an 06 Uly w/full hardbags and 67k miles back in Oct. I only got to ride it a handful of times before it got stuck behind the supplies for our roof tear off. Took it out a few times and barely got home due to some weird issue that started as a slight and rhythmic surge and ended up in stalling and a bucking sensation. Still haven't narrowed it down yet.

Even with all this, I love that damn bike and don't regret buying it at all.
red450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:48 PM   #36
SkiFastBadly
A beer? Yes, please

Oddometer: 1,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by red450 View Post
Took it out a few times and barely got home due to some weird issue that started as a slight and rhythmic surge and ended up in stalling and a bucking sensation. Still haven't narrowed it down yet.
If it was raining at the time my bet would be the 77 connector.
If it was not, my bet would be the ECM.

Head on over to badweatherbikers, lots of help there.

2008 Buell Ulysses
2008 Triumph Scrambler
2004 HD Heritage Softail
SkiFastBadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:41 PM   #37
MP2Day
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Laugh Agreed!

Found an 08 Uly (12X) on CL a few weeks back with the HB panniers for $5700... couldn't pass it up and now gotta say it's the most FUN I've had on 2 wheels.

As far as < 2008 vs 2008+ : there are some engine changes too. Buell made some improvements to the oiling system and strength of internal components on 08+ if I remember correctly.

I've been told to WATCH rear wheel bearings and replace at the first signs of wear. Something about belt tension putting stress on the bearings I think. 2010's had a 3-bearing rear wheel which can retro-fit if you change wheel, bearings, axle, etc. I plan to just keep an eye on them and replace every 20,000 mi or so... and maybe use the Free Spirit tensioner. Apparently the FS tensioner puts less strain on the belt & bearings especially when traversing sharp bumps (sudden suspension travel). There have been documented cases of FS tensioner failure too... so I'm still kind of up in the air on that one.

If you don't already know, Al from American Sport Bike in CA (Buell parts supplier) is a GREAT resource and owns/rides an 08 Uly. No trouble getting parts - Al has most everything in stock and can get the rest. He provides great customer service.

Can't wait to get some more miles on this thing!
MP2Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:18 PM   #38
SkiFastBadly
A beer? Yes, please

Oddometer: 1,508
The single best piece of advice I can give any Uly owner is to purchase a spare belt and carry it with you. I've broken there of them, and having a spare made the difference between a half hour roadside repair job, and having to call a tow truck.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=520934

2008 Buell Ulysses
2008 Triumph Scrambler
2004 HD Heritage Softail
SkiFastBadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:45 PM   #39
dave186
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
I took that advice and bought a new one for mine even though it only have 7500 miles on it. Changed it at home so Id know how on the side of the road and kept the old one as a spare. I havent been carrying it around, I figure if Im going more than 100 miles from home ill toss it in.
dave186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:25 AM   #40
Seventy One
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 346
I'm looking at an '06 XB12X for sale locally. It has 2,100 miles, full luggage and an aftermarket windshield. The dealer wants $7,999. Even though it appears brand new, I believe this is way too high.

What concerns me the most is the lack of miles. It doesn't even have the comfort kit installed yet. I had the dealer check on that and it's still available ($140).

I may offer them $6,000 for it and see what happens. Any thoughts on this?
2013 Tiger 800XC
Seventy One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:59 AM   #41
Hughlysses
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,142
^ That is crazy low miles for an 06. $6k seems like a reasonable offer.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:36 AM   #42
Bobmws
Curmudgeon At Large

Oddometer: 1,049
I've spoken with this guy about his Uly. He said he used "r" forks & shock to lower it. Not sure if this a good mod, but I also have a 30" inseam with bad knees. I'm almost strictly a street rider, though groomed dirt & gravel roads don't scare me.
Thoughts?
www.earplugco.com
Bobmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:15 AM   #43
Hughlysses
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobmws View Post
I've spoken with this guy about his Uly. He said he used "r" forks & shock to lower it. Not sure if this a good mod, but I also have a 30" inseam with bad knees. I'm almost strictly a street rider, though groomed dirt & gravel roads don't scare me.
Thoughts?
Not sure what height you'd wind up with on a Uly with those parts but I'm sure it's pretty low. The main concern I'd have is if you're planning on doing 2-up riding with luggage. In that case the R rear shock might be undersprung for the Uly's weight. The only other concern would be peg clearance. Hopefully you can take it for a decent test ride and verify the pegs don't drag at "sporting" lean angles.

Oh yea, the R shock won't have that handy remote pre-load adjuster like the normal Uly shock either, so you'll have to use a shock wrench to change the pre-load.

I have a 30 inch inseam with good knees and ride an unmodified 07 Uly. There are times I wish it was an inch or inch-and-a-half lower, but generally I make out OK.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:13 AM   #44
Bobmws
Curmudgeon At Large

Oddometer: 1,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobmws View Post
Thoughts?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughlysses View Post
Not sure what height you'd wind up with on a Uly with those parts but I'm sure it's pretty low. The main concern I'd have is if you're planning on doing 2-up riding with luggage. In that case the R rear shock might be undersprung for the Uly's weight. The only other concern would be peg clearance. Hopefully you can take it for a decent test ride and verify the pegs don't drag at "sporting" lean angles.

Oh yea, the R shock won't have that handy remote pre-load adjuster like the normal Uly shock either, so you'll have to use a shock wrench to change the pre-load.

I have a 30 inch inseam with good knees and ride an unmodified 07 Uly. There are times I wish it was an inch or inch-and-a-half lower, but generally I make out OK.
Good knees make a difference! This will be a solo for me, the wife will ride in the hack for any long trips. He does have the OEM parts, so I could restore the height, and it does have a low seat, so that may work out. I thought I had posted the info from his ad, guess I clicked too quickly. Anyway here is the other stuff on this bike, no luggage though:

"Buell Ulysses XB12 4500.00 obo extras it has been lowered by replacing forks and rear shock so a normal human can ride it it has a buell hi performance ecm a high torque kit installed a xb 12 r front fender a jardine exhaust that comes with the bike 7800 miles i have stock parts that go with it i dont have the stock ecm as the bike had the hi po ecm when i purchased it."
www.earplugco.com
Bobmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:20 AM   #45
red450
WEE-A-BOO

Oddometer: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiFastBadly View Post
If it was raining at the time my bet would be the 77 connector.
If it was not, my bet would be the ECM.

Head on over to badweatherbikers, lots of help there.
No rain and I swapped in a working ECM and same issue. Right now, the common theory on BadWeb is either Oxygen, head temp or crank position sensor.

Time to start with the cheapest option and start replacing them.
red450 is offline   Reply With Quote