Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-21-2012, 06:19 PM   #1
Veritas Altom OP
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Garmin Zumo 220LM

Inmates,

Talking to a few dudes about the Zumo 220 and what they thought about theirs. They dig it and I thought I would buy one too. They said to sit tight as the Garmin Zumo 220LM is coming out shortly. The other Zumos have lifetime maps and it makes sense this one should too. Anybody hear anything?
Veritas Altom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:10 AM   #2
Mudcat
Unregistered

Oddometer: 4,472
I bought a Zumo 220 which I found very disappointing after having used a Zumo 450.
The big one was auto routing on the Zumo 220, I could not trust it
Untill I'm ready
Mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:50 PM   #3
Ol_Prof
Retired but doing it

Oddometer: 38
Ditto on what Mudcat says. The Zumo 220 has a slow processor. I lost count of the number of times I got the turn instructions too late for me to respond in time - usually happens when riding in cities at night and where I can't read the road signs until I'm already in the intersection. It takes forever to re-calculate an alternate plan. When turning it on to leave an address I found I had to circle around in the parking lot a couple of time before the Zumo could orientate the screen properly so I would know which direction to go.

I put up with it for three years over thousands of miles in unfamiliar roads and territories always wary of getting bad directions. I've been routed through closed roads and been put on gravel roads even after I'd set them to NO in the preferences. Of course, most of the time, the Zumo was working with data that's 5 or 6 years old, even though I purchased the most recent North America City Maps to date. For what we pay for the maps there is no excuse for Navteq maps to be so badly out of date.

Anyway, my Zumo 220 has been retired. I have just recently purchased the Zumo 660 which gets very good reviews. At least it has a faster processor. As is usually the case, you get what you pay for.
Ol_Prof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:02 AM   #4
Mudcat
Unregistered

Oddometer: 4,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol_Prof View Post
Anyway, my Zumo 220 has been retired. I have just recently purchased the Zumo 660 which gets very good reviews. At least it has a faster processor. As is usually the case, you get what you pay for.
If you bought your 220 three years ago it wasn’t an inexpensive unit, was it? I think they were over $600 then.
I remember looking at the reviews for the 220 and they were good, except mine
Untill I'm ready

Mudcat screwed with this post 12-16-2012 at 11:15 AM
Mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote