Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2012, 09:17 PM   #16
necrid
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Feel free to join the other mastur,, err, umm, oglefest here, http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=839830

1996 KTM Duke #292
necrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:35 AM   #17
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,324
Liking what I see very much....looking forward to the final product in 2013
past: Ducatis, Aprilias, Moto Guzzis, a Husky, and some BMWs as well.
oalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:52 PM   #18
fixinbones
Tarmac Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,015
Is there any chance of this bike making it o the US. The super duke and 950SM were a sales flop here
'13 Ducati Diavel AMG #163
'09 KTM 65XC (son's ride)

Gone: '10 Ducati Multistrada 1200S, '11 BMW R1200GS, '10 BMW S1000RR, '08 BMW HP2 Megamoto, '07 KTM 950SMR, '05 BMW R1200GS, '94 BMW R1100R
fixinbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:34 PM   #19
Pork-Chop Express
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
I personally think the biggest reason the Super Duke was a sales flop in the States was because of bad timing. It had just been voted Bike of the Year in 2007 and KTM tried to capitalize on the momentum of all the great reviews it was getting by the American moto-press and imported a bunch of them to the US. They then tried to distribute them through a dealer network that was used to selling KTM dirt bikes but knew nothing of selling street bikes. And just about that time the bottom fell out of the economy and nobody was buying $14K European factory streetfighters. The choice between buying an SD or being able to afford to pay the mortgage was not a hard one to make.

In order to get them off the showroom floor dealers were offered $5K rebates to get rid of them. For those lucky enough to pick up showroom new SD's for $8K or less it was obvious that this was one of the all time great street bikes ever made. The reason it was a sales flop had nothing to do with its merits as a good motorcycle and every thing to do with a bad economy and an American motorcycle community that was still obsessed with cruisers and repli-racer sport bikes.

This time around KTM has tightened up its street bike dealer network but still very much wants to establish themselves in the US road bike market. The 1290 SD is going to be their flagship street bike and they will want to import it to the US to make a splash, just don't expect to see 10 at every dealership. They'll bring them over in small numbers and sell them at or a small markdown from MSRP.
Pork-Chop Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:23 PM   #20
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pork-Chop Express View Post
I personally think the biggest reason the Super Duke was a sales flop in the States was because of bad timing. It had just been voted Bike of the Year in 2007 and KTM tried to capitalize on the momentum of all the great reviews it was getting by the American moto-press and imported a bunch of them to the US. They then tried to distribute them through a dealer network that was used to selling KTM dirt bikes but knew nothing of selling street bikes. And just about that time the bottom fell out of the economy and nobody was buying $14K European factory streetfighters. The choice between buying an SD or being able to afford to pay the mortgage was not a hard one to make.

In order to get them off the showroom floor dealers were offered $5K rebates to get rid of them. For those lucky enough to pick up showroom new SD's for $8K or less it was obvious that this was one of the all time great street bikes ever made. The reason it was a sales flop had nothing to do with its merits as a good motorcycle and every thing to do with a bad economy and an American motorcycle community that was still obsessed with cruisers and repli-racer sport bikes.

This time around KTM has tightened up its street bike dealer network but still very much wants to establish themselves in the US road bike market. The 1290 SD is going to be their flagship street bike and they will want to import it to the US to make a splash, just don't expect to see 10 at every dealership. They'll bring them over in small numbers and sell them at or a small markdown from MSRP.
Then I'll wait and buy one used. I'm not going to pay $15k for a bike that lets face it, is all about being a numbskull on. You aren't going to tour the country on one, you can take your spouse anywhere on it, and lets face it, you are NOT going to stay out of the throttle on that thing!

If I can pick one up for $8 or $10k to have as my track bike / play bike fine, otherwise I'd rather go explore the world on something more practical.

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:42 AM   #21
Gregster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 954
Quote:
Originally Posted by necrid View Post
Feel free to join the other mastur,, err, umm, oglefest here, http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=839830

Actually this discussion is in Read warriors where it should be and the oglefest you quoted should have been moved over here since this is indeed a road bike.
Gregster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:07 PM   #22
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,207
Probably should kick start this thread back to life

It's funny, but I watched the video before reading the commentary and it did occur to me that this could have been a staged KTM thing because there were only a couple of bikes on the track, they were reasonably slow in comparison, and they looked, respectively, like a KTM 990 SMT and SMR being piloted by folks in KTM leathers. The 1290 rider also cut a couple of the passes closer than I would have expected for a purely accidental track day encounter.

Still pretty impressive...
wpbarlow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:39 PM   #23
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 9,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillypolack View Post

Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:33 PM   #24
fast4d
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,865
the BMW kills my RC8R on the straights....

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbarlow View Post
Probably should kick start this thread back to life

It's funny, but I watched the video before reading the commentary and it did occur to me that this could have been a staged KTM thing because there were only a couple of bikes on the track, they were reasonably slow in comparison, and they looked, respectively, like a KTM 990 SMT and SMR being piloted by folks in KTM leathers. The 1290 rider also cut a couple of the passes closer than I would have expected for a purely accidental track day encounter.

Still pretty impressive...
2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2013 KTM SMT 990
fast4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:10 AM   #25
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by fast4d View Post
the BMW kills my RC8R on the straights....
That ain't hardly the news flash of the year

I don't know if there's anything the BMW doesn't do that to. Maybe the MV, but wide open seems to be about the only time the MV's fueling doesn't absolutely suck.
wpbarlow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:48 PM   #26
Davo-55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillypolack View Post
I just pissed my pants. It's been a while since something this crazy looking, this visceral popped onto my motorcycling radar. Just seeing the pics, imagining the hefty twin bark with that semi-legal exhaust has me thinking of binning the Ducatis and going orange.

Pure Sex. I want
Old 08-23-2013, 07:52 PM   #27
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 8,817
So where is the production model?? Just that red white and blue one??
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:53 PM   #28
Sp4rks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T. View Post
So where is the production model?? Just that red white and blue one??
I don't think so, I think the "Patriot Edition" was just KTM's way of saying "Fuck yeah it's coming to the United States". It'll be a special edition.

Old 08-25-2013, 11:29 AM   #29
C/1/509
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,573
When is it supposed to be released - have they said?
C/1/509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:45 PM   #30
Gas Hog
Two Wheel Fanatic

Oddometer: 882
Sweet mother of God..that orange is staggering
Must not give in..
Gary
Some regard private enterprise as if it were a predatory tiger to be shot. Others look upon it as a cow that they can milk. Only a handful see it for what it really is - the strong horse that pulls the whole cart. - Winston Churchill
Gas Hog is offline   Reply With Quote