User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2012, 09:47 PM   #1
terraunbound OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
About battery tenders

For my 2001 F650GS I used a Battery Tender Jr and everything was fine (although the water seemed to cook off some after 6 months of winter). On the new F700, is there any reason why I couldn't just get the correct plug to charge through the auxillary outlet and use the same Tender?

Is there something magical about the BMW Advanced Battery Charging System?
terraunbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:29 AM   #2
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by terraunbound View Post
For my 2001 F650GS I used a Battery Tender Jr and everything was fine (although the water seemed to cook off some after 6 months of winter). On the new F700, is there any reason why I couldn't just get the correct plug to charge through the auxillary outlet and use the same Tender?

Is there something magical about the BMW Advanced Battery Charging System?

Either will work. You can spend the money and get the BMW one, charge it through the plug.... Or just wire the plug directly to the battery, as I did, and use your current charger. Just depends on what your wallet says.

Erling
ebrabaek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:25 AM   #3
bmwroadsterca
RadioFlyer

Oddometer: 117
Because....

"On the new F700, is there any reason why I couldn't just get the correct plug to charge through the auxillary outlet and use the same Tender?"

Because the BMW outlet is controlled by the ZFE and shut down unless the charger knows how to do the handshake to keep it open. Lots of people wire direct to the battery - but if you do this the charger should not be one that may go into battery reconditioning mode and subject the system to higher voltage pulses.

mike
bmwroadsterca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:57 AM   #4
vtbob
wanderer

Oddometer: 523
I agree I would not use the powerlet (can bus controlled) as a charging point. I have no specific reason for this other than not wanting to mess up the CAN bus micro controllers with charging currents/transients.

I directly wired a powerlet outlet(with 20a fuse) to my side panel to supply power to my heated vest. I use a powerlet on my Battery tender to charge the batter over the winter from this same point. when on trips I use this same power let cable to directly plug in the little tire air compressor.

simple and works for me
vtbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:50 AM   #5
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,352
I charge through the stock DIN plug using my CTEK charger which is a much better unit than the overpriced BMW one. Turn the key on, plug charger in, remove key and it will keep the connection open no problem.
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote