User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2012, 02:01 PM   #1
Parepin OP
The Filthy Nomad

Oddometer: 1,099
Granduc Mine - Stewart, BC

I'm looking for a quick update on what's going on with the Granduc Mine in Stewart, BC. Up by Hyder. I've got a plan to ride up there in the spring and do a bit of exploring, but after some quick googling it's become apparent that the parent company has plans on reopening the site. I was up there in '09 and '10 and it was wide open (the tunnel, that is). I figure, after seeing what they've got to deal with, that it's gonna take quite a bit of time before ANYTHING up that way is operational. The first step in the project is going to be securing the site (Padlocks, chains, fencing, etc.) so this news makes me kind of nervous.

I figure this is a long shot, but has anyone been up that way in the past couple of months?
Parepin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:37 PM   #2
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,424
I'm not sure if they were working on Granduc or if there is more back there but there was lots of industrial traffic going past the glacier this summer.

PG007
"Up there where you eat moose-cock you must all be rockets scientists."
triplenickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:10 PM   #3
BigToad
The Bone Destroyer

Oddometer: 195
its my understanding the Granduc Mine is now owned by Toronto based Castle Resources who has plans o put it back into production. I assume from the post that you want to explore the tunnel? As a mineral explorer It would be my advice to stay the hell out of any old mine shafts or tunnels, in fact none of our people are allowed to do this on a number of mineral properties we have because of the very significant dangers involved. Trust me when i say its not worth the risk, many prospectors and geologists have made this mistake and paid with their life.

in my view the risk increases when you investigate old mines in the tropics...such as my friend who nearly died from a lung infection after inhaling bat guano dust...it really isn't worth the risk. Rock falls, shafts partially covered, bats, rotten support timbers, and my favorite snakes (I know two people nearly killed by snakes in old workings)..there is allot there that can potentially do you in.

If you do go in make sure someone knows, bring 2 or 3 flashlights, water etc etc...and be sure for the sake of your family that you have all your affairs such as your will in good order :)
BigToad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:52 PM   #4
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,291
Another BIG danger is lack of oxygen.

The person waiting outside is not to come in after you but rather go get someone with proper breathing apparatus to go in for you when you're overdue exiting. And in that remote locale, good luck with that.

As BigToad said: Stay Out! and Stay Alive.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:43 PM   #5
Parepin OP
The Filthy Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by 250senuf View Post
Another BIG danger is lack of oxygen.

The person waiting outside is not to come in after you but rather go get someone with proper breathing apparatus to go in for you when you're overdue exiting. And in that remote locale, good luck with that.

As BigToad said: Stay Out! and Stay Alive.

The tunnel is open at both ends, with PLENTY of air movement. In fact, it's quite intense when you stand at the front entrance. I've already walked it for several hundred yards.

As far as the lights, I plan on bringing a big, gasoline powered light.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:48 PM   #6
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer: 1,504
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...06120797737001

Sounds like the tunnel was made safe in 2011 and is now being put to use for vehicles. You're probably too late and will have to wait until they run out of money and shut it down again. On the bright side, it sounds like the rail lines have been removed.

"No matter how many [internet] opinions you line up, you can't vote nonsense into truth"- Kevin Cameron
Mr. Canoehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:03 PM   #7
Parepin OP
The Filthy Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canoehead View Post
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...06120797737001

Sounds like the tunnel was made safe in 2011 and is now being put to use for vehicles. You're probably too late and will have to wait until they run out of money and shut it down again. On the bright side, it sounds like the rail lines have been removed.
Sonovabitch