User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2012, 02:26 PM   #1
headtube OP
6 months of winter!

Oddometer: 278
Oil pressure light on...

... my idle is about 800-900 rpm. (79 RS) The oil pressure light comes on at every stop. When I give her some throttle it disappears. If I set the idle above 1000, no red idiot light. I must admit though, that I prefer a low idle but I don't like the drop in pressure.

Do all Bimmers do this? Perhaps a faulty OP switch? What does the forum recommend for an idle speed?
headtube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 02:30 PM   #2
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by headtube View Post
... my idle is about 800-900 rpm. (79 RS) The oil pressure light comes on at every stop. When I give her some throttle it disappears. If I set the idle above 1000, no red idiot light. I must admit though, that I prefer a low idle but I don't like the drop in pressure.

Do all Bimmers do this? Perhaps a faulty OP switch? What does the forum recommend for an idle speed?
First question that everyone will ask:
are you sure (REALLY SURE) that you aren't looking at the charge light? It will do exactly what you described when working correctly.

It's a very common mistake. The oil pressure light should NEVER be on with the engine running regardless of idle speed unless someone changed out your pressure switch for one with a much higher switching pressure.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.

Airhead Wrangler screwed with this post 11-22-2012 at 02:43 PM
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 02:45 PM   #3
headtube OP
6 months of winter!

Oddometer: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
First question that everyone will ask:
are you sure (REALLY SURE) that you aren't looking at the charge light?

It's a very common mistake. The oil pressure light should NEVER be on with the engine running regardless of idle speed unless someone changed out your pressure switch for one with a much higher switching pressure.
You are correct sir! Thanks for pointing this out. Phew, a novice mistake. It's only when I took a good look that I noticed the order of idiot lights. The names are under the lights on the dash, not on top. So, what does that mean exactly when the GEN light comes on below 1000 rpm? No charging?
headtube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 02:52 PM   #4
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by headtube View Post
So, what does that mean exactly when the GEN light comes on below 1000 rpm? No charging?
Right, it means you aren't charging - you're using more electricity than you're making. It's operating at a loss usually up to about 2000 rpm. The light will go out around 1000 or 1100 when all's functioning correctly, but the stock system doesn't REALLY charge until around 2000 rpm. Too much idling in traffic can drain your battery if you really try hard. It doesn't become a real issue until you're trying to run electric clothes, extra lighting, or other large electrical load though.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Old 11-22-2012, 02:56 PM   #5
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer: 5,988
And once you've answered that question, the next best step is to put a real gauge to the motor and check the pressure at cold idle and hot idle (after 30+ minutes riding).

The hardest part is finding an adapter for the threads of your oil pressure sensor. Don't know what year they changed from the tapered threads, but my 83 R80 has M12 X 1.5 threads. I made an adapter from 1/2" OD X 1/16" thickness aluminum tubing threaded with the M12 external on one end and 1/8 NPT internal at the other to use a simple pressure gauge from any pool suplly store or Home Depot to check actual pressure. Stick a flex hose from a grease gun in there between the adapter and the gauge if you want to get fancy.

Edit: BTW, I have had an oil light scare the crap out of me on my R 80 just within the neighborhood. One of those things that makes you nervous for a long time, even after you find the culprit

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 03:11 PM   #6
DoktorT
BigBrowedNeandereer

Oddometer: 1,143
Check your idle spec. My 79RS says 950-1050 rpm at idle. I set mine typically 1050 to 1100. Gen light out at idle.
DoktorT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 04:49 PM   #7
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer: 5,988
And better cam oiling at that rpm too.

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:57 PM   #8
khale
ride dirty

Oddometer: 556
My oil pressure light (yes, the amber light below the red charging indicator light) is always on, as soon as I start the bike and as I ride. Oil level is good.
Do I have a bad sensor? What could be wrong?
Old 11-24-2012, 01:16 PM   #9
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by khale View Post
My oil pressure light ...is always on...
Do I have a bad sensor?
You better hope so. Get an oil pressure gauge and check it. If it's good, get a new sensor.

Old 11-24-2012, 01:22 PM   #10
Big Bamboo
Aircooled & Sunbaked

Oddometer: 3,352
Quote:
My oil pressure light (yes, the amber light below the red charging indicator light) is always on, as soon as I start the bike and as I ride. Oil level is good.
Are you talking about the R75/5? First of all, I wouldn't ride it until I figured out what was wrong. For it to be on all the time without some major pressure loss would tend to indicate the wire is shorting to ground somewhere. I suppose it's possible for it to get stuck on, but I've never heard of that. Replacement senders are cheap, swap it out and see what happens. After checking for shorts etc first.
Big Bamboo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:38 PM   #11
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 7,300
Ditto on what they said. Oil is the lifebood of any engine.

Quick and dirty way to test? Turn the ignition on. The oil light should be ON. Pull the connector from the oil pressure switch, the light should go OFF. Touch the connector to ground, the light should go ON. Depending on how it acts, you either have a good warning system, a bad bulb, or a bad sensor.

--Bill
Old 11-24-2012, 03:38 PM   #12
dm635
Let's Roll

Oddometer: 381
Quote:
I was able to take my R80 home for a couple days before I commited to buy it. Main reason was because the oil light was on constantly. Where the crash bar was connected to the frame, it had pinched the wire to the oil pressure sensor. I then bought the bike.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:17 PM   #13
bmwhacker
Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer: 4,291
Life in the Airhead BMW lane...you'll get used to it.

Living proof you shouldn't play with matches
ABC# 1992
bmwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:58 AM   #14
khale
ride dirty

Oddometer: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris View Post
Ditto on what they said. Oil is the lifebood of any engine.

Quick and dirty way to test? Turn the ignition on. The oil light should be ON. Pull the connector from the oil pressure switch, the light should go OFF. Touch the connector to ground, the light should go ON. Depending on how it acts, you either have a good warning system, a bad bulb, or a bad sensor.

--Bill
Thanks, Bill. I did as you said. Ignition on, oil light is ON. I pulled the connector on the oil pressure switch and the light remained ON on my gauge. Does this mean bad sensor or a ghost in my electrical system? (man, I hope not). I've already got another oil pressure switch on the way anyways.

When I replace the sensor, do I need to drain the oil, or is it OK to just do a swap? Looking at the positioning of it, it looks like it's above the oil level and sump, so oil shouldn't come out when I pull it right?

Also, I recently replaced my gauge incandescent bulbs with LED bulbs. Before swapping with LEDs, the oil pressure light (incandescent bulb) would be ON when the key is in ignition, but the light would turn OFF when the bike was cranked. I wonder if it was coincidence that my oil sensor went bad right around this time, or there maybe a deeper issue.

khale screwed with this post 11-27-2012 at 09:13 AM
khale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:41 AM   #15
Garbln
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 443
On my 76 R90/6 I had a flickering oil light at times. I changed the switch because it was leaking, that stopped the leak but not the flickering. The oil pan gasket was also seeping so I decided to change that also. When I pulled all the bolts out and dropped the pan I was surprised to find the round oil pickup laying in the bottom of the pan. The two bolts holding the pick up on to the pick up tube had unscrewed and let the pick up and the spacer/extender fall off. This meant that the oil pick up was actually about 3/4 inch shorter than it should have been! As long as the oil level was on the full mark I was OK, Fortunately I had not owned the bike very long and the last owner was very picky and always kept the oil level to the full mark. When I re assembled the pick up I locktighted the bolts and safety wired them in place, that ain't gonna happen again! Just something to be aware of if you get a flickering oil light when your oil is a little low and you make a fast stop.
Garbln is offline   Reply With Quote