User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2012, 11:35 PM   #1
TxRoadDog OP
SHOVELS AND EVOS

Oddometer: 123
Tire patch/plug question.

Not exactly sure if this is the right place, but I did see some tire threads so here is a shot... if it's not the right place, please move it. :)

Ok, I may also get flamed for this question, but my flame suit is on so here goes it.

Last year, I got a flat tire on my bike... it happened to be a split, as seen below:

NOW, the problem with this, is the fact that getting this 860lb machine on the flat bed was probably scarier than the tire going flat itself.. I'm not entirely sure how the tire split that way, but it did. What I'd like to know, is if there is any possible way that could be patched? Now this happened well over a year ago now, but I'm still really scared about it happening again and having to go through that same scary experience of trying to ride it up just far enough on a slippery flat bed so the operator could lift it up and get it chained down. All I would need to do is get it patched up to get me home so I can go buy a new tire, then trailer the bike to a shop to get it put on, or if I'm out touring, to putt down the interstate/hwy's to the nearest bikeshop to get the tire replaced. So, like I asked, is there anyway a SPLIT like that could be repaired to be safe enough to do just what I stated?

Thanks for the help guys.
1996 Harley Davidson FXDS, V-Thunder 3010, Torrington B-138, Hylift Johnson Lifters, Arlen Ness Big Sucker, V&H Competition Drag pipes, Jagg Oil Cooler, Santee XLX Low rise Bars, J&P Antique style grips, 13" FXDX Shocks, Shimmed and PVC'd front forks with 20w oil.
TxRoadDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 02:18 AM   #2
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxRoadDog View Post
Not exactly sure if this is the right place, but I did see some tire threads so here is a shot... if it's not the right place, please move it. :)

Ok, I may also get flamed for this question, but my flame suit is on so here goes it.

Last year, I got a flat tire on my bike... it happened to be a split, as seen below:

NOW, the problem with this, is the fact that getting this 860lb machine on the flat bed was probably scarier than the tire going flat itself.. I'm not entirely sure how the tire split that way, but it did. What I'd like to know, is if there is any possible way that could be patched? Now this happened well over a year ago now, but I'm still really scared about it happening again and having to go through that same scary experience of trying to ride it up just far enough on a slippery flat bed so the operator could lift it up and get it chained down. All I would need to do is get it patched up to get me home so I can go buy a new tire, then trailer the bike to a shop to get it put on, or if I'm out touring, to putt down the interstate/hwy's to the nearest bikeshop to get the tire replaced. So, like I asked, is there anyway a SPLIT like that could be repaired to be safe enough to do just what I stated?

Thanks for the help guys.
I'll ride plugged tyres until they wear out - that - scares me, I'd guess you ran over some sharp metal and never noticed, or some comedian took to it with a box cutter.

Take the wheel off, take the wheel to someone who can change the tire, bring it back, put it back on the bike. Couple of cheap car scissor jacks (junk yard, a few $ each) and a 2x4 under the front of the swing arm should lift it and be stable.

Pete
PeterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:43 AM   #3
CycleDoc59
Wrench Rider

Oddometer: 879
A split longer than about 1/4 inch, maybe 3/8" cannot be safely repaired. Plugs
do not work well in splits as the plug leaks at the ends of the splits....
A patch with no plug will not work (safely) due to weakness at the split area.

Roll-back wise, many roll-back operators now carry small dollies with
built-in wheel chocks, especially made for safely, easily loading motorcycles.
Usually this one:http://www.buyersgroup.com/products/condor/condorfr.htm
CycleDoc59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:02 AM   #4
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Oddometer: 7,716
As was stated, that tire has been cut. I've pulled hundreds of razor blades out of tires over the years.

Assuming you had the skills, you could pull that tire off of the wheel, install a large radial patch over the cut area, and install a tube. This type of repair would only be recommended as a "I have no other choice to get my ass out of a dangerous spot" type of thing. I would not ride it any farther than is absolutely necessary to satisfy the above statement. You won't find a bike shop or a tire shop in North America that would touch that repair for love nor money.

Abraham Lincoln

Bigger Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:08 AM   #5
TxRoadDog OP
SHOVELS AND EVOS

Well, like I said, this happened well over a year ago... I've already pretty much burned through a Metz ME880 since then.

Thanks for the replies guys. Part of me wants to think someone sliced it and it just gradually got worse, but I don't know... the thought of that happening again scares me, because like I said... it was a scarier ordeal getting it up on the flatbed than it was when the tire lost air at the snap of a finger.

All the more reason to get an ADV bike with a center stand so I can fix this stuff on the side of the road right?
1996 Harley Davidson FXDS, V-Thunder 3010, Torrington B-138, Hylift Johnson Lifters, Arlen Ness Big Sucker, V&H Competition Drag pipes, Jagg Oil Cooler, Santee XLX Low rise Bars, J&P Antique style grips, 13" FXDX Shocks, Shimmed and PVC'd front forks with 20w oil.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:51 AM   #6
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,070
Quote:
Well, like I said, this happened well over a year ago... I've already pretty much burned through a Metz ME880 since then.

Thanks for the replies guys. Part of me wants to think someone sliced it and it just gradually got worse, but I don't know... the thought of that happening again scares me, because like I said... it was a scarier ordeal getting it up on the flatbed than it was when the tire lost air at the snap of a finger.

All the more reason to get an ADV bike with a center stand so I can fix this stuff on the side of the road right?
That's one way. Or learn to not be scared of riding on the trailer. Seriously. It's not a physical thing, more a finesse thing.
Old 11-23-2012, 10:05 AM   #7
TxRoadDog OP
SHOVELS AND EVOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by concours View Post
That's one way. Or learn to not be scared of riding on the trailer. Seriously. It's not a physical thing, more a finesse thing.
I aint talking about a trailer, I'm talking about a flat bed truck. The kind where the whole bed lifts up, and slides down to the ground, where the tow truck driver can hook chains up to the car and slowly pull it up on, then the bed is slid back up on the truck by a motor. The problem is, the bike wasn't fully on the flatbed when he started trying to lift it up on there, and he wasn't clear in what he wanted me to do. On top of the fact that it was super slippery, knowing that this 860 pound machine could slide off at anytime while he was lifting it back up on to the truck was pretty scary.... the bike wasn't chained on so I had to ride it up real quick a foot or two onto the flatbed before it fell off the back. Not something I care to do again.

What I was talking about.

TxRoadDog screwed with this post 11-23-2012 at 10:07 AM Reason: first pic too large
Old 11-24-2012, 04:06 PM   #8
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,648
You probably just ran over something on the road, or you parked your bike someplace neither you or it needed to be..Anyway, you cannot repair that type of cut safely.
Old 11-24-2012, 04:44 PM   #9
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Tires are built up in layers.
If the inner carcass was not pierced, and the cut was only in the raised tread, it's no biggy.
Think deep 'sipe' cut.
Just look and see what was actually cut and how deep.
Tread cuts are no deal.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:34 PM   #10
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,407
Quote:

I am confused. Has the bike been sitting for a year and the tire is still on the bike? Or have you replaced the the tire with a ME 880 and it is sitting in your garage and you want to know if it can be repaired and put back on the bike?

The tire is toast because Bigger Al said so and he does it for a living. Even if he had not, I would think so, because the cut is deeper than the sipe and it let air out. It probably cut some cords in the process. If it is off the bike what does it look like on the inside?

My motto is when in doubt (riding a 860lb bike at 80 mph) don't
Old 11-25-2012, 06:49 AM   #11
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer: 22,387
Unlike a puncture, which damages only a couple strands of the cord plies, a slice deep enough to lose air through cuts *all* the cord strands along the length of the slice.

If the cut is shallow enough to not affect the cords, its *probably* okay, but start shopping for a replacement as soon as you can.

If the cut is through the tire, find a ride to a shop for a new tire, it is not fixable.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:45 AM   #12
AustinJake
TE450-KLE-FXDWG

Oddometer: 3,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Error View Post
Unlike a puncture, which damages only a couple strands of the cord plies, a slice deep enough to lose air through cuts *all* the cord strands along the length of the slice.

If the cut is shallow enough to not affect the cords, its *probably* okay, but start shopping for a replacement as soon as you can.

If the cut is through the tire, find a ride to a shop for a new tire, it is not fixable.
I've ridden alot of tires with string plugs in them, but on this tire, I have to agree with Twilight.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:47 PM   #13
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
You probably just ran over something on the road, or you parked your bike someplace neither you or it needed to be..Anyway, you cannot repair that type of cut safely.
This ^^^

I used to change car, farm implement and tractor trailer tires for a living. I've seen all sorts of things protruding from tires. A hole is one thing to patch. A slice could possibly split even further and cause it to go flat again...very quickly!

You may as well stick a fork in that tire...it's done!

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:30 AM   #14
KG6BWS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 893
Personally, Id probably patch it, put a tube in it, and keep riding it.

That being said, in all honesty, Id have to actually see it to properly assess it. Its easy to have an opinion looking at pictures on the internet.

Relying on patches/plugs alone.....no. I wouldnt use it.

Justin
01 F650GS Dakar
KG6BWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:01 AM   #15
TxRoadDog OP
SHOVELS AND EVOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
I am confused. Has the bike been sitting for a year and the tire is still on the bike? Or have you replaced the the tire with a ME 880 and it is sitting in your garage and you want to know if it can be repaired and put back on the bike?

The tire is toast because Bigger Al said so and he does it for a living. Even if he had not, I would think so, because the cut is deeper than the sipe and it let air out. It probably cut some cords in the process. If it is off the bike what does it look like on the inside?

My motto is when in doubt (riding a 860lb bike at 80 mph) don't
Like I said, this happened well over a year ago, and I'm already about to have to replace the Metzler ME880 I put on it last year after the flat.

As to what the tire looked like inside, it was cut all the way through.

As to the comments on me running over something, that is probably what happened. Wouldn't surprise me if a razor blade was sitting right straight up in a crack in the road and I ran right over it.

Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it!