looks like a great trip!

2009 Alaska , 2010 Moab
2011 Calif Dreaming , 2013 Mexico
rgiroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:28 AM   #32
rgiroux
Invisible Man

Oddometer: 2,252
I made it thru the written part (found that if i dont look ahead at all the text, its pretty easy and definitely worth it .)

2009 Alaska , 2010 Moab
2011 Calif Dreaming , 2013 Mexico
rgiroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:33 AM   #33
nailit2em OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 353
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiroux View Post
I made it thru the written part (found that if i dont look ahead at all the text, its pretty easy and definitely worth it .)
That's pretty amazing that you made it through it!!
I'm glad you enjoyed it!
Old 12-05-2012, 10:59 AM   #34
nailit2em OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The road to home

I was back in the U.S. but I was still far from home. Hell I was still a long ways from the end of my day! When the Border Patrol officer asked where I was going I told her I was stopping in Abilene for the night. She looked at me like I was crazy for some reason. It was only another 400 miles. I really wasn’t looking forward to another 400 miles after the morning I had had but the only person I could blame for it was me.

I hadn’t eaten all day since my plan to eat coincided with stopping to get gas. I think I’ve explained how well that plan worked out for me. I returned to the same gas station that I had stopped at on my way down. They had good breakfast food so I figured they would also have some hot lunch stuff as well. I was also in need of some Gatorade after my morning exercise.

I got the last lunch burrito out of their hot box and two Gatorades to wash it down with. The burrito was homemade and not one of those frozen microwave burritos. For a gas station lunch in a small town it was pretty good.

While I was eating I called my wife to let her know I was back on the Texas side of the border. I also checked in with my parents. I kind of forgot to tell them where I was going before I left. They had been informed by my wife where I had gone. I also checked the oil in the tranny. All was good with the bike so I hit the road again. I was on track to be in Abilene by 7pm.

The ride to Abilene was as one would expect it to be. Long and boring! The only exciting thing that happened was not really exciting. More like aggravating as hell! While I was riding through the Midland area I kept getting hit in the face with small rocks and sand. For the longest time I couldn’t figure out what the deal was. The wind wasn’t blowing and I couldn’t see anything on the road that would have been kicked up by cars around me. The facial sandblasting went on for several miles.

I then pulled up behind a semi pulling a rock trailer. As I got closer to the semi the rocks hitting my face got worse! Then I saw shit dropping out of the hopper doors on the bottom of the trailer. The shit pouring out was a water, sand and rock mixture. I hauled ass to get around the truck and thought I was finally done with getting pelted by rocks. I was wrong. I had three more of those damn things ahead of me! The last guy I passed got a friendly gesture as I went by him thanking him for the facial sandblasting I had received over the past several miles.

I got into Abilene at about 7pm. I was ready to be off the bike by the time I got to my hotel. I was also half deaf from riding all day which made it interesting when I was checking into my hotel. I think I had to have the woman repeat everything she said to me.

I walked about a quarter of a mile to an Outback steak house for dinner after I got all my stuff put in my room. The two large beers went down very well with my dinner. The food was pretty good too. I caught up with some friends back home to let them know I was back in the states. I got the standard “welcome home your F’ing crazy” txt messages.

When I got back to the room I pretty much collapsed in my bed from being so tired. I wouldn’t sleep very long though. I had gone the last three days in Mexico and now that I was back in the states I get food poisoning! My stomach was hurting bad! I spent about an hour in the bathroom before I could go back to bed. I took some antidiarrhea medicine that I had packed for any issues that would come up in MEXICO! Not and Outback Steakhouse! I finally made it back to bed but didn’t sleep well the rest of the night.

I had another long day ahead of me when I got up at 5am. It wasn’t going to be as long as the day before, only 10 hours of riding to get home. The part that was going to make it long was a lack of sleep and fighting off the sudden need for a bathroom! I had already planned for an early start before I got sick so I stuck with that plan. I needed / wanted to get on the road as the sun came up so I could make it home before it got dark.

The morning started out pretty warm. I did not put on my fleece jacket under my leather jacket and only put on my normal riding gloves. I was fine until I got a little ways north of my first gas stop in Hawley, Texas. I hit a slap you in the face cold front about 30 minutes later! The weather on TV had mentioned it but I really didn’t think it would be that bad. I didn’t last long before I had to pull over and put more clothes on. It wasn’t as cold as on the way down but still not comfortable.

The rest of the trip home was again as expected, very uneventful. I somehow avoided having another chat with any local authorities on my way home. I only had one dumbass woman cut me off in Oklahoma. She then managed to cut off a semi after she cut me off. The wind was very strong out of the south which helped me out. I may or may not have exceeded the posted speed limits for extended periods of time. I still managed to get pretty good gas mileage. Usually anytime I run 75 or faster for any given length of time my gas gauge goes down just about as fast as my speedometer goes up!

I was running about three hours between gas stops on my way home. Wichita Falls by 9:15, Guthrie, Oklahoma at 11:30, Emporia, Kansas at 2:16 and home at 4:15. I somehow managed to only have one long stop due to my “condition”.

When I rolled into my driveway I was just as excited to roll in as I was when I rolled out! The excitement to leave on this trip was nothing compared to the excitement of seeing my family again.
This was a great trip! Now I just have to figure out what the hell I’m going to do next! I have a few ideas in mind. But then again it may be another decide on Tuesday and leave on Saturday trip to…..
Old 12-05-2012, 12:44 PM   #35
GuateRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,367
Thumb

Great RR

If it should get to tough to find out what to do next, just give me a call and I send you my coordinates for our next meeting

It sure was a pleasure sharing the road with you and I truly appreciate your effort to make it happen !!!

Hasta la proxima , mi amigo
Old 12-05-2012, 02:56 PM   #36
nailit2em OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuateRider View Post
Great RR

If it should get to tough to find out what to do next, just give me a call and I send you my coordinates for our next meeting

It sure was a pleasure sharing the road with you and I truly appreciate your effort to make it happen !!!

Hasta la proxima , mi amigo
That sounds like a good plan to me! It has worked well for us so far

It was also a pleasure to be able to join you and Luisa on your adventure!

This is far from our last adventure together!!!
Old 12-05-2012, 05:39 PM   #37
nailit2em OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Long road home pics

The gas station in Presidio Texas I ate lunch at

The mountains off in the distance are in Mexico. They are the ones I rode through on the way to Chihuahua

The Presidio Courthouse in Marfa Texas

The exciting flat long hope there are no Troopers around road after Marfa

Now its getting exciting

The historic Holland Hotel in Alpine, Texas

At least there is no place for a Trooper to hide here

One of those rock trucks I loved so much!

Just me and my shadow to keep me company on this leg of the trip. Riding off as the sun sets on another amazing journey!