User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2012, 08:22 AM   #1
stevem44 OP
stevem

Oddometer: 1
r80st, 1983

Looking for good sources of parts for my r80st. need the valves inside the air box. Also wondering if anyone has plugged the holes in the exhaust manifold that are piped to air box.
stevem44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:15 AM   #2
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 7,972
Where you live may have some bearing on where you get parts. You might take a moment to fill in your profile a bit.

There are many sources, both a few dealers that are Airhead friendly and some others that sell OEM parts, sometimes a bit cheaper. There are occasionally substitute parts but for the most part we find trouble or shorter service life when using substitutes. Still it's an individual decision.

Bob's BMW in Jessup Maryland is World Famous for being one of the most Airhead friendly Dealers. His parts staff is up to speed on Airhead parts and is available via the phone or the internet. I think the internet function is newer and you might still have better luck with Bob's on the phone. But try them both.

http://bobsbmw.com/

There is Hucky's. The name of the guy here is Hans. He's very knowledgeable and willing to help you get what you need. Hucky's doesn't take credit cards so there is that hassle but many still put up with it for the savings and the service. Look at his site on the internet and when you are ready to order give him a call. He will explain how it's handled. It takes very little extra time at all to order from this place. If you don't see what you need on the internet site he still may have it.

http://www.bmwhucky.com/

There are others, many others. There are a good dozen places to get the items you mention, some overseas. But these two will get you started and they both come highly recommended.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:32 PM   #3
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevem44 View Post
Looking for good sources of parts for my r80st. need the valves inside the air box. Also wondering if anyone has plugged the holes in the exhaust manifold that are piped to air box.
Those two are related.
There. Is info on snobums and iirc airheads about removing the fresh air injection system and what plugs to get to fill the holes in the air box.

Your local BMW shop will have or rather can order parts or the listed mail order places I also like max BMW.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:02 AM   #4
vector_dumb
Happier Here

Oddometer: 136
Even though I live about 25 minutes from Bob's I still use Max BMW about half the time. Here is their microfiche page that will give you all the part numbers you need to know for your ST:

http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fic...aspx?vid=51625

Note: Bob's BMW has a microfiche page as well in case you want to use him.

For electrical stuff use either of these two sites:
http://www.motoelekt.com/
http://www.euromotoelectrics.com/

Rick at motorrad elecktric is a nice super helpful guy. Euromotoelectrics also carries well priced oil change stuff as well. I know you don't need those sites yet, but they are good to have on file.

My ST's a February '83. Enjoy!

WTB: XR650l parts: Tool bag, rear chain guard. Condition used but decent, price fair.
vector_dumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:29 AM   #5
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Vector,

I'm about the same distance maybe less. We should meet up there sometime. I also use mail order sometimes but I like Bob's a lot. I want there to be a dealer near me. Sometimes I need a part right now. Bob's is also just one of the best dealers around for Airhead stuff. And older than Airhead stuff.

Have you met the new Motorcycle Apparel Girl? Not exactly a girl mind you. She's cute. I'm trying to come up with some extra money to buy something from her. She's also friendly but I forget her name.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Old 11-26-2012, 12:43 AM   #6
vector_dumb
Happier Here

Disston - yeah, Bob's probably deserves more credit than I give him. I just got rubbed the wrong way initially with his sales team and not having pretty basic things in stock. Could have just been an off week or something.

I'd be happy to meet up with you at Bob's after the holidays and see what this Apparel girl is all about. (Maybe sooner if I get off workin nights and get my home projects wrapped up for my appraisal.) That will give you a few weeks to learn her schedule

WTB: XR650l parts: Tool bag, rear chain guard. Condition used but decent, price fair.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:28 AM   #7
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

I don't know what days she works. It's a part time job I think.

I've never had a problem with parts stock at Bob's.

The high pressure thing? Don't know what that's about. Were you looking at the new bikes as if you were a customer? The competition in the motorcycle industry in general is pretty stiff. I wouldn't describe them as high pressure but they have a large sales staff. Then again I don't have a ready cash aura about me. I only get approached by sales people 1 in 4 times I go to Bob's but they know me really well also. I'm also sure that if you actually sit on any bike this will get one of them to approach you pretty quick.

I'll try to let you know should I be going. Do the same. I sometimes can plan this and sometimes it's just time to go. I'm going to be riding all Winter but this would be a trip I would not want to make except for a warmer day. We'll see what Winter is like this year.

I think you are really not as close as I am to Bob's. I'm around Kensington, Md.

Old 11-27-2012, 01:31 AM   #8
vector_dumb
Happier Here

As far as the sales team goes I thought the used bikes were way overpriced. An average R80RT for 6.5k? No thanks. The Mystic they had a few months ago was outrageous... something like 10k. The sales team had a take it or leave it approach, so I left and got the IBMWR hookup and couldn't be happier.

Door to door to Bob's is about 17 miles/30 minutes. If you're interested in meeting up there drop me a PM a couple of days in advance. FYI I'm working a lot on the weekends, but it would be good to do something if I can swing it.

Old 11-27-2012, 05:52 AM   #9
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

I also work on weekends sometimes but lately I've been unemployed. So not buying anything.

Used bikes at Bob's have had the entire bike serviced. I think that's the deal. They really go through them and I think there is some kind of a Bob's guarantee on what you get. So it could be seen as a little bit more of a value than just another used bike. Some people will like this. I'm like you tho and would prefer to do my own work.

They may even have a list of work done to any of the used bikes. A receipt. If an Airhead that looks pretty clean needs a final drive rebuild or a transmission rebuild and they do it it is going to run the price up. I think they do this sort of work to all the used bikes they sell.

I've been going to Bob's for the last 13 years or so. I have noticed much fewer Airheads in the show room. Eventually what with normal usage and wreckage there will be fewer. But we also have a model that is really popular with the younger crowd to chop up or turn into dirt bikes. This is going to have an effect on the price of our bikes as they get rarer.