User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2013, 08:56 PM   #1
JHB141 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
R1200GS Accessory socket issue

2005 R1200GS, I have a Powerlet brand coiled mini usb cord plugged into the seat socket, and ran it to the front for my GPS. With the engine running, the power comes on and off. Checked the GPS unit and cord, both check good with another power source, and the on and off does it with another GPS unit. I've checked the connections to the socket, they LOOK ok, so I'm head scratching on this one. Anyone else have this gremlin?
I would use the nose socket, if I had one, lol.
JHB141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 10:42 PM   #2
WindSailor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
Check this thread out: Can-Bus not working
WindSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 04:47 AM   #3
ChildlikeWonder
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 536
Mine has randomly started doing this, but didn't use to. From playing around it seems if I hold the plug in the socket just so it will work, but obviously I can't do that while riding. I'll be very interested in the solution if you find it.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:05 AM   #4
LaurelPerryOnLand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildlikeWonder View Post
Mine has randomly started doing this, but didn't use to. From playing around it seems if I hold the plug in the socket just so it will work, but obviously I can't do that while riding. I'll be very interested in the solution if you find it.
Perhaps, it's the "coiled" characteristic of the cord that is pulling on it...improperly unseating it in the socket?

Installing a powerlet on one of the fairings near "Wind Wings" locations would eliminate the stress and allow a short non-coiled cord to work better.

Alternatively...you could use the connector 'taped' to the forks to connect the GPS directly. Requires a separate 'repair connector'...about $23 from the dealer.

LaurelPerryOnLand screwed with this post 09-28-2013 at 08:22 AM
LaurelPerryOnLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 12:13 PM   #5
JHB141 OP
Adventurer

As to the coiled cord, I zip tied it to several points along the frame up to the front just for that reason, and I made sure that it didn't droop down near the suspension, but not so tight as to put any tension on the plug/socket.

I took the connector apart again last night, and even though the connections looked clean, I use a q-tip damp with WD-40 to clean the socket end, and a small pipe cleaner to clean the plug end terminals. There ended up being some gray & black residue on the pipe cleaner. I checked the output with a voltmeter while I had it unplugged, and the voltage was a steady 14.2v, never dropped off, but that was standing still. When I plugged it back in and reconnected the accessory cord and GPS, it didn't shut off, but again that was standing still. It was getting too late to go for a hop and check it. So...my tentative diagnosis in my case MAY be corrosion that wasn't visible in the plug end, but that is pending a test ride.

As for the problem of having to hold the plug, pay attention to how you hold it. I would say if pushing it straight in fixes it, them maybe the plug is the culprit. If it takes lateral pressure, then maybe its the base of the socket being loose coupled with the possible corrosion issue I have.
Old 09-28-2013, 12:39 PM   #6
WindSailor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
In the past I have had issues with my powerlet plug on my heated gear, which also uses a coiled wire. I had to split the male prong open further and re-bend the side ground tabs out a little to help insure good contact. Also I used dielectric grease on everything to help with corrosive build up.
WindSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:59 PM   #7
JHB141 OP
Adventurer

Thumb

Ok, looks like i found my own gremlin. After a test ride, good solid power!
I will prolly do the dab of dielectric grease on the contacts, good suggestion.