Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2013, 05:57 AM   #76
scootrboi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by ride4321 View Post
Passing Ford 350 P/U's on the 3 lane.

Smoke break on my 60 mile ride home with my new to me 2nd scoot...Aprilia Mojito.

and back home after a little TLC...

Can anyone possibly smile this much on a full size bike???? I think not.
That's a pretty scooter.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:18 AM   #77
CaptnJim
Scootist

Oddometer: 1,132
I don't think of it as scooters vs motorcycles. There is enough derision in the two wheel world. Someone riding a Harley or a sportbike (I've owned plenty of both) doesn't diminish my experience. I'd like to think I never looked down my nose at anyone on two wheels, but I'm sure I shook my head at some squid riding dangerously through traffic, or the dumbass whose pipes are SO loud that there is no way they are escaping hearing loss. But, that is the person, and what they do WITH the bike, not the bike.

I was a poor kid. I lusted after the mini-bikes I saw as a kid. A neighbor behind our house was an odd sort who rode scooters and occasionally motorcycles (not odd because of what he rode - HE was odd)... I watched him leave every morning and dreamed of the freedom those conveyances provided. I didn't want to be like him, but I wanted to experience that two wheel stuff.

Not meaning to get all introspective here, but I have thoroughly enjoyed every motorcycle I've owned. The skill sets required to be safe on a motorcycle or a scooter are more alike than they are different. I got my first well-used motorcycle back in the 60s, when I was 14. From there on, it was a series of increasing size and complexities. 9 Harleys, 4 Goldwings, a couple BMWs, a Triumph Bonneville, and some other Hondas and Yamahas. I really thought the Suzuki V-Strom I just sold was going to be "my last bike" and bought it for the light weight, torque, and reliability. When I didn't ride it as much as I had anticipated, I thought I just might be done riding.

Then, my wife said, "Let's get a couple scooters!" Oh, I had ridden a couple scooters over the years... I bought our daughter a scooter when we moved from out in the canyon, where she could ride her dirtbike, into town. She didn't much like it, because I insisted on ATGATT. We rented scooters when in Hawaii and the Cayman Islands... they drive on the wrong side of the road in the Caymans, for goodness sake! I thought I "knew" scooters.

I guess I didn't know enough. These Honda PCX scoots have rekindled something in me. Oh, I don't want to run coast to coast (done that), but I do want to ride more. To the store. Out to lunch. By the beach. I look forward to some winding two lanes. My Honey on her own scoot, sharing the lane. I don't think of this as "winding down" riding... rather, I have pushed the "Restart" button. Easy. Fun.

Maybe that Harley shirt I outgrew was right: If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand.

Captain Jim
Old 04-14-2013, 08:49 AM   #78
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJim View Post
I don't think of it as scooters vs motorcycles. There is enough derision in the two wheel world. Someone riding a Harley or a sportbike (I've owned plenty of both) doesn't diminish my experience. I'd like to think I never looked down my nose at anyone on two wheels, but I'm sure I shook my head at some squid riding dangerously through traffic, or the dumbass whose pipes are SO loud that there is no way they are escaping hearing loss. But, that is the person, and what they do WITH the bike, not the bike.

I was a poor kid. I lusted after the mini-bikes I saw as a kid. A neighbor behind our house was an odd sort who rode scooters and occasionally motorcycles (not odd because of what he rode - HE was odd)... I watched him leave every morning and dreamed of the freedom those conveyances provided. I didn't want to be like him, but I wanted to experience that two wheel stuff.

Not meaning to get all introspective here, but I have thoroughly enjoyed every motorcycle I've owned. The skill sets required to be safe on a motorcycle or a scooter are more alike than they are different. I got my first well-used motorcycle back in the 60s, when I was 14. From there on, it was a series of increasing size and complexities. 9 Harleys, 4 Goldwings, a couple BMWs, a Triumph Bonneville, and some other Hondas and Yamahas. I really thought the Suzuki V-Strom I just sold was going to be "my last bike" and bought it for the light weight, torque, and reliability. When I didn't ride it as much as I had anticipated, I thought I just might be done riding.

Then, my wife said, "Let's get a couple scooters!" Oh, I had ridden a couple scooters over the years... I bought our daughter a scooter when we moved from out in the canyon, where she could ride her dirtbike, into town. She didn't much like it, because I insisted on ATGATT. We rented scooters when in Hawaii and the Cayman Islands... they drive on the wrong side of the road in the Caymans, for goodness sake! I thought I "knew" scooters.

I guess I didn't know enough. These Honda PCX scoots have rekindled something in me. Oh, I don't want to run coast to coast (done that), but I do want to ride more. To the store. Out to lunch. By the beach. I look forward to some winding two lanes. My Honey on her own scoot, sharing the lane. I don't think of this as "winding down" riding... rather, I have pushed the "Restart" button. Easy. Fun.

Maybe that Harley shirt I outgrew was right: If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand.

Captain Jim
Well said.

Personally, I think my motorcycles are more fun to ride than my scooters. However, I rode less than 3,000 miles on my two motorcycles last year and well over 12,000 on my two scooters

The difference is that scooters are more practical so I ride them all the time to commute and run errands around town. For the type of riding I do most of the time, they are more fun. Interesting enough, my Aprilia is also more comfortable than either of my two motorcycles so it is the bike I ride on long trips or when carrying a passenger.

I don't see giving up motorcycles or scooters as long as I'm still breathing. I really don't see much distinction between the two. For me, 2 wheels + motor = fun

Jim, like you I have owned numerous bikes of various types. Additionally I have had the opportunity to ride probably 200 different bikes of most types and brands. I enjoyed every one of them.

As for that Harley shirt slogan, you don't have to explain it because I do understand.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:46 AM   #79
DandyDoug
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
Yesterday I rode my Burgman 650 along with two guys one a BMW RT and the other Honda ST1300 . We went to a Euro bike show over in Raleigh , NC.
It was about 2 hours on the freeway and i gotta say the Burgman held it's own in cross winds, varying degrees of traffic congestion and I felt comfortable all the way.

Felt a bit out of place at the show at first with all the cool vintage and modern Euro bikes around. Then I noticed a small crowd around my Burgman , wandered over and was pleasantly surprised by the questions and comments from the folks.

On the way back , we stopped for gas and the guy on the ST ( he has a stable of bikes) says to me, "if I were in the market for a new machine right now I'd buy one just like yours " .
Sort of made my day
DandyDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:15 PM   #80
ramblerdrver
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
The best part about riding a scooter, verses a motorcycle, is that they are so RELAXING! Most of this comes from having the automatic CVt transmission. Even if you like the sport/art of shifting (which I do), not having to ever think about shifting is a liberating experience...you are always in the right gear, never cuss yourself out for a poorly executed shift, never stall it at stop lights because you forgot to shift back into low, etc. Other positives are the ease of getting on it, good weather protection, comfortable riding position, light weight feel, good useable storage. Wonderful way to ride on two wheels!
ramblerdrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:53 AM   #81
scootrboi
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

Captain Jim
Short runs at moderate speed are the most fun. I have gone long distances on scooters and a motorcycle. After an hour or two the point of diminishing returns is reached. And high speed is only enjoyable for brief periods.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:40 AM   #82
CaptnJim
Scootist

Oddometer: 1,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootrboi View Post
Short runs at moderate speed are the most fun. I have gone long distances on scooters and a motorcycle. After an hour or two the point of diminishing returns is reached. And high speed is only enjoyable for brief periods.
Great point. After many thousands of miles on a variety of motorcycles, the lure of long distance riding has worn off for me. Kudos to those who enjoy that, but it is important to understand one's desires. Some of the happiest people are those who live comfortably within their means. Same thing applies to riding on two wheels: get the right conveyance for what you intend to do. For several years before getting these scoots, the riding I enjoyed most was tooling through a National Park or enjoying a relaxed pace on a quiet two-lane... 45 mph or so.

I felt invincible on my last Harley dresser. Riding the BMW R1100RT felt best when I was "a tad bit over" those posted speed limits through the corners. I absolutely detested city driving on a bike. The scooters changed my opinion of that - they are an easy, efficient way to get around in town. And plenty enough for those twisty roads, too.

The right tool for the job.

On another thread, I mentioned that before getting the scoots, I was about ready to be done riding. Now, I'm like a kid again, enjoying the experience and finding any excuse to get out on the scooter.

These days, I don't have much desire to go highway speeds on two wheels... if that were to change (and I learned a long time ago to never say, "Never"), I think I would be more inclined to look at a maxi-scooter instead of a full dress touring bike. For right now, the PCX is definitely the right tool for the job.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:05 AM   #83
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,856
I first became interested in motorcycles.....well actually minibikes, when I was around 10 or so. My first dream bikes were bikes like the Honda trail 50/70 and then later the CB125. I didn't get my first bike until I was 22 and it was a 400. Then I moved up the displacement ladder and then back down. I enjoyed those big bikes but I never lost my appreciation for the really small ones.

I think that maybe part of the reason I got my Kymco 150 was a desire to experience one of those tiny bikes that I never had the chance to get when I was young. That and the fact that I don't ever want to grow up

All my years of riding some of the best roads all over the country had somewhat spoiled me and I had lost some of that pleasure of just getting on a bike and going for a short and simple ride. My 150 brought that back. I don't have to go for an epic ride to have a blast on my 150. Doing a long, epic adventurous ride around the country is still on my bucket list but until that happens my small scooters keep a smile on my face on a day to day basis.

It is nice to have a forum like this where there are others with similar experiences and who "get it"

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:43 AM   #84
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train

Oddometer: 765
Quote:
Great point. After many thousands of miles on a variety of motorcycles, the lure of long distance riding has worn off for me. Kudos to those who enjoy that, but it is important to understand one's desires. Some of the happiest people are those who live comfortably within their means. Same thing applies to riding on two wheels: get the right conveyance for what you intend to do. For several years before getting these scoots, the riding I enjoyed most was tooling through a National Park or enjoying a relaxed pace on a quiet two-lane... 45 mph or so.

I felt invincible on my last Harley dresser. Riding the BMW R1100RT felt best when I was "a tad bit over" those posted speed limits through the corners. I absolutely detested city driving on a bike. The scooters changed my opinion of that - they are an easy, efficient way to get around in town. And plenty enough for those twisty roads, too.

The right tool for the job.

On another thread, I mentioned that before getting the scoots, I was about ready to be done riding. Now, I'm like a kid again, enjoying the experience and finding any excuse to get out on the scooter.

These days, I don't have much desire to go highway speeds on two wheels... if that were to change (and I learned a long time ago to never say, "Never"), I think I would be more inclined to look at a maxi-scooter instead of a full dress touring bike. For right now, the PCX is definitely the right tool for the job.
All true; and I'm going through the same changes you guys are. Aren't we all? Old-fartdom is what separates the hard-ass from his Harley.

That said; and with the "novelty" of long-distance riding gone...trips to Banff, Dallas, Four Corners...I still enjoy touring. I just make it a series of short trips.

Up with the dawn...the bracing, cool air. Pack and ride; find a diner and stop for a trucker-size breakfast. Another shortish stint, and lunch; and around three or four in the afternoon, start looking for a place to pack it in for the day. I've done my share of camping, but these days a mid-level hotel, with clean bed, hot bath, ice machine for my bourbon...it appeals more.

I will say this: While it was fun to make the dash at 135 mph...just to DO it...higher speeds, at base, are pure terror masquerading as exhilaration.

Forty-five on a secondary road, is a good compromise between the need to move and the desire to take it easy. If traffic backs up, you're not on a road secondary enough!

1999 BMW R1100RT - backsliding on the Scooter Life.
CaseyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:01 AM   #85
wildmagna
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Calm :)
And relaxing ...

wildmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:22 AM   #86
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,526
"I can't get a read on that thing" when I asked a leo how fast I registered coming up to the stop.

that's enough for me.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:48 PM   #87
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,770
MPG vs Smile per Mile . Really Get tired of seening motorcycle mags going the New Higher CC what ever because once your at 65 mpg and age it doesn't matter. At least on scooter that gets 60 to 120 MPG you can say out on the road longer.
Old 04-20-2013, 06:49 AM   #88
Domromer OP
Desert Rat

Oddometer: 1,084
Sold my scooter a few months ago, now I have a 30 mile commute in mostly congested surface streets. The vstrom gets the job done but it would be so much nicer on a scooter. I gotta find a little 250 scoot that I can zing around in traffic.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851060 ... A desert rat explores the south.
Domromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:07 AM   #89
John Fabian
Fabe

Oddometer: 95
What do you love about scooters / scootering?

• Automatic transmission.
  • Hand operation.
  • Slow pace - low horsepower.
  • Low cost.

I like scooters 200cc or less with 16" wheels.
John Fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:24 PM   #90
scootrboi
Beastly Adventurer

Scooters are cool and everyone knows it.