Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2013, 07:56 PM   #76
F800ekelley OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qaz View Post
Have you figured out what you are going to do yet Kelly? I read the whole thread for a third time and just shook my head. If I were on a F800 this is what I would do:
1)Make sure the bike is in the best shape it can be in. Get a can of Silkalen chain lube( It stays on the chain and cuts down on lubing it so often)
2) If the seat is not comfortable, make it comfortable.
3) If you can mount highway pegs & a taller shield do it, so you can move around.
4) Put a throttle lock of some kind on the bike.
5) Mount a tankbag low on the tank so you can lay on it.

For me the bike is the most important part of the trip(Break downs suck) 6-13 just make it more comfortable!

6) Take fireballs or some sour drops for when you get tired, but not sleepy.
7) When you get sleepy, either stop in a rest stop and snooze or stop for the day.
8) Ride the speed limit, you get better fuel mileage. Gas stops kill your MPH average.
9) I stop at McD's for lunch, get a McDouble and drink the heck out of Powerade to rehydrate.
10) Fill the tank the night before and start early in the morning (4 or 5am) before taffic gets heavy.
11) I avoid toll roads, because I am cheap and I find that they do not save time.
12) I will not eat anything that is dehydrated, it robbs your body of moisture.
13) Lastly, the week before your trip, go out each evening and ride your bike 40-50 miles, that will prepare the butt.

Good luck!
This is AWESOME i will be doing all these i also looking to ionized water it hydrates u better i have done a few all day rides as preping work and man ur ass gets sore, mine is calioused by now so stock seat feels ok the sheeps skin makes a huge diff but in the summer not sure what the options are. This is so good i am printing and putting in my tank bag. My bike is not the best for the trip agree but its what i have so i am going to use it i can cruise at 75 for 8 hours no problem. I have done alot of work on this trip and talk to alot of IBA guys riding harleys or K1600(wish i had this bike for the trip) found alot of guys who have done it and they state the prep work makes all the diff get use to sleeping 6 to 8 hours a day. And being alert the rest. There best advise is no enegry drinks cause of the crash and lay off sugar due to the way it makes ur body tired. I am all about the natural ways. I agree with the toll roads i am a cheap ass as well . I realized some things i wanted were not realistic i have a rout planed mostly going straight thru texas and up the big cities on the freeway scare me so looking for round ways still not 100% planned but i have time i most say i love this site even more the feedback form people is so amazing . Would love to win the lottery and ride around meeting and having a beer with alot of the people on here. Thanks everyone i will provide updates as of now i have the tires and the gps along with the camping equipt. Still need alot but have time. Alot of this ride is to also clear my mind think over life i will be turning 30 so a good life assesment is important what better place than the open road. Alot of this is random take it as u will thanks everyone
F800ekelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:59 PM   #77
F800ekelley OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by feldjäger View Post
I just got back from Houston to Vegas. Biggest thing is a seat, the BMW one sucks on the long days. On a side note, I might be heading out to Philly during that time myself and thought about riding. Going to the Gettysburg for the big re-enactment. I live in Vegas so I'm sure we would hit the same routes.
I would love to ride along with you that would be awesome wickinberg az would be good meeting place? Keep me posted
Old 02-04-2013, 08:06 PM   #78
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by F800ekelley View Post
I have done 2. 20 hour days it was rough as they were back to back. Main thing I learned is seat is important however I have never done that far on my new bike I have only done 10 hours on this bike. I will be doing a ride report on this as well. Just wondering the best roads to take from anyone who has done cross country. I have driven it and know the mid west is very boring at parts
Take an extra week off and we can show you some great roads and rides. Three days, not so much.
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:12 PM   #79
F800ekelley OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVa Rider View Post
I've done it in 2.5 days. Here's fourteen tips I've learned from experience, or been given by some hard corps LD riders:
  1. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate.. you could use a camelback, but limited capacity and weight on your back. I used this: http://www.st-owners.com/forums/show...dration-System IIRC, 160 ounces of liquid goodness. A folded hotel hand towel under the front of the coleman kept everything level. Fill with ice/water and ride. This is just one options, some bungee a cylindrical cooler to the passenger peg, working especially well if you have panniers;
  2. Don't dawdle at gas stops. That wasted time adds up. Gas up, use the facilities, and go. My stops were about 8-10 minutes. You can eat and drink on the road. I find in the heat I don't eat much, but drink H2O constantly;
  3. Bicycle shorts. They work;
  4. Monkey Butt/Gold Bond Medicated Powder. Either works well;
  5. Beef Jerky/Banana Chips. Texture, protein and potassium. Pack it on the bike, saving more time at stops;
  6. Down a gatorade as needed, especially if the temps are super high;
  7. If temps are super high, pack your suit with ice at each stop. You get about 60 minutes of evaporative cooling;
  8. I start at 4 - 5 am each day, as I prefer knocking out miles early, keeps me in a good mindset all day. I ride until 10 or 11, later if needed;
  9. Stop on the far side of the big city. You avoid traffic the next morning (but leaving early obviates that);
  10. Make sure you are super visible. Reflective tape on your panniers, helmet, and reflective strips on your suit will help you be seen, and survive;
  11. Pack light (or half of what you think you'll need). You don't need much, and if you break down, see 13 below;
  12. Call your credit card company to tell them you'll be travelling so they don't see the multiple gas purchases and shut down the card. Bring cash for when they shut it down anyway;
  13. Get towing coverage from your insurance. Will save you tons if/when your bike breaks down; and
  14. Finally, consider getting an ezpass/fastpass. Depending on your route, will save you tons of time at toll roads.
Good luck.
I have heard of packing the suit with ice not sure howto do this i have a bmw trailmaster jaacket would think i am just going to be soaked riding and how annoying that would be. Did u find this to be the case?
Insurance check they raised the rate
Called my bank i dont like credit cards they always screw u with wierd fees when u do this

Pack light- still not sure what i need i know basic tools tubes and patch kit this stuff wieght alot already really bringing tent pad blanket what did u find you forgot to take or wish u had?

Bike short- good suggestion i am not a fan of being all cramped up downstairs but extra padding always good il get a pair of these

Thanks for the support all the comments make me even more excited to ride

Camelback, i have 2 of these never leave home with out it in az
Old 02-07-2013, 06:42 AM   #80
Qaz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
Kelly- Don't pack your suite with ice. If it is in a plastic bag it will sweat, it is even worse if it is loose. Either way you are screwed if the water gets to the place you are sitting, then it is called diaper rash and that would make for a VERY UNPLEASENT TRIP!! When it is that hot that I need cooling, I don't wear a jacket. I take a good heavy sweat shirt, soak it in water, wring it out pretty good and just wear that. Instant A/C and a heavy sweat shirt will hold enough water without dripping that it lasts for a while. Now I have a jacket made by Nike for runners that blocks the heat of the sun, but lets air flow freely through it. It is like riding with no shirt on a cool evening, even on the hottest days.
Alcan rider gave me some good advice for a planned trip to Alaska, make a list of everything you think you will need, then cut it in half. You are over thinking this! It is 2 1/2 days, travel light! The first year I rode to Sturgis, the bike looked like a pack mule. The next year I put one change of clothes in Walmart bag, strapped it on with the tent and sleeping bag and left. A week and a half later I was home. Guess which trip I enjoyed better?
Qaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:04 AM   #81
NoVa Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,768
FWIW, the ice trick has worked well for me, which is why I recommended it as a trick if needed during the the planned dash. I simply stuff it in available pockets, not encased in plastic. Saved my bacon on an IBA day while sporting an aerostich through the Badlands at temps well over 100 degrees. Evaporative cooling was my friend. Didn't have the potential horribles you mentioned, but I suppose they'd be possible . . ..
NoVa Rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:21 PM   #82
Hookdude
Flying W Master

Oddometer: 10
Been lurking for a couple weeks. Time to post.

If you must be there by a certain date I would suggest taking a plane.

Having said that,....you seem set on doing this trip and I applaud you for it.
You've received a lot of great tips so far. I wish that I'd had them when I went from San Diego to Boston solo on a 500 Interceptor in 3 and 1/2 days back in August '87.

Your time table is doable under ideal conditions. But that rarely happens.
Here's some of what I encountered.
- Torrential rain across all of Arizona (of all places!) could barely maintain 45.
- 6 hours lost to diagnosing and fixing a fuel delivery problem in the middle of nowhere NM (Alamarosa I think it was called)
- Nearly hit a small critter at 1AM in TX Panhandle while STUPIDLY trying to make up for lost time by doing triple digit speed ("Was that one of those Armadillos? Man, if I hit one of those at this speed I'm toast! A skivvy staining tank slapper at the very best.").
- Had to make an unscheduled stop to clean the mosquitoes off my face shield in Arkansas. Took a soaked rag from the gas station and had to wipe them off again every couple miles for some time. Made sure to re-soak the rag at each stop and kept it at the top of my tank bag.
- Hallucinated an Armadillo on 65 in Kentucky. I actually swerved then looked back to see... nothing. (There are no Armadillos in Kentucky! Or the TX panhandle I found out later.) The mind can play some convincing tricks.
- Nearly hit and was air blasted across my lane and back by a semi going the opposite direction in the thick foggy hills of Maryland. Scary. (Still not sure how I "saved it". Dumb luck I guess.)
- The rhythmic "ta Tunk" of expansion joints on 84 in CT actually lulled me to sleep while riding. (I didn't think it was possible to fall asleep while riding a bike. It most definitely IS!) If it weren't for the beeping horn of the car next to me who's lane I was drifting into....I probably wouldn't be writing this.

At 25 years of age I was in supreme physical shape. And thought I was invincible. I made this "mad dash" because I was leaving for a war zone in two weeks and although the nice lady at the MAC office (only flight I could afford) could guarantee a return flight, the next flight home wasn't for 5 days. "Shoot, I could ride home in less than that. Think I will." Booked my return flight, put a change of clothes, my toothbrush, paste and a bar of soap, in my tank bag, bungeed the wool blanket from my rack to the back of the saddle, got some money from the bank, changed my oil, bought a new can of chain lube and a map and away I sped. The one thought that kept me going was, "I want to spend as much time with my family and friends as possible." The chances of me never seeing them again were going to rapidly increase in a couple of weeks. I didn't want to waste my leave time on the road. I wasn't trying to prove anything to myself or anyone else. Just the singular thought of getting home ASAP. I know now that this was a dangerous mindset.

This was NOT a fun trip. I made some really bad decisions (riding too fast and pushing my myself physically and mentally chief among them), and had some very close calls. 3 to 5 hours of sleep per day is not enough when you're performing a task like riding a bike. Mental fatigue sneaks up on you with little warning and can be deadly.
For this reason I urge you, nay beseech you to add at least an extra day to your trip.

I was going as fast I could get away with (young and dumb don't ya know) usually 10 to 20 over posted speed, sometimes more. And just barely made about the time and distance per day that you're hoping for. (Someone already posted that lesser speed would have required fewer fuel stops and the same results. He or she is right!)

Upon arriving home I slept for 16 hours straight. So, in reality, waiting for the MAC flight would have only cost me about six hours with my family and friends. Hindsight being 20/20, that would have been the wiser choice.

Sorry if I come across as "preachy". I'm only hoping you can learn from my mistakes. And I'm happy to see that you, unlike myself, are making proper preps.

Oh, not sure if any one mentioned these, but spare bulbs don't take up much space. Nor do spare levers (even an innocent "drop" at the fuel stop can snap one). And a sheepskin cover on my saddle literally save my butt (Warm in winter and cool in summer.)

Best of luck on your trip. And please keep us posted.

Cheers,
Bob
PS Didn't intend for my first post to be so long.
PPS This site rocks!
Old 02-14-2013, 07:50 PM   #83
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,289
Ionized water " hydrates better" ??

BUNK"

"Ionized" and alkaline water: snake oil on tap
www.chem1.com/CQ/ionbunk.htmlNov 20, 2012 – A chemist looks at the crackpot claims about "ionized" water, alkaline water, and the ...

F800 please , please get off the " turning 30 " shtick before you hurt
yourself . Fine if you want to go for a ride And are making good preparations,
but the only reason to do so should be because you can do it in an enjoyable and safe fashion. Riding should always be fun.
I get the impression that you are turning this ride into something of a
religious quest where you try to inflict pain and misery on
yourself in the vain expectation that you will achieve some kind of great
Wisdom of the Ages. Ain't gonna Happen. At best you will come out exhausted
with a story to brag about for a while to those caring to listen. At worst you will get exhausted while riding and get into an accident
Remember it should always be enjoyable at the end of the day .Nothing
more can or should be expected
Sjoerd Bakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:07 PM   #84
ts3doug
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 839
i find mesh gear on hot dry days wears me out faster than my normal leathers. perhaps i'm just odd though
ts3doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:47 AM   #85
Qaz
Gnarly Adventurer

Time is closing in, have you figured it all out Kelly?
Old 04-22-2013, 09:45 PM   #86
F800ekelley OP
Adventurer

My how quickly time flys in life... Time is closing and things have changed some orig my plans were july for my nephews wedding so since my brother in law is getting married 2 days prior now this trip is postponed till august which i am a little bummed about for 2 reasons first i feel like i am being a slacker and not commiting to the original plan but cant be in 2 places at once and 2 because i turn 30 and feel just getting older (not wiser) and lazy i will do the trip but now i think i am going to take time and enjoy it as in 4 days across doing it in aug would allow me. That in july it would be too rush. Thoughts? All the IBA guys i have talked to agree that it is better plan since. Everything else is in place. I feel like so much is changed from talking to guys who have done it and the wisdom from everyone following
agenda is below
Pack light. Tent, sheet rain gear limit for my self is side cases full thats it
Relax and have fun

Locations will be in the south the route is alot of highway to cover ground fast than up the east coast
Stop 1 first night is dallas
Stop 2 north carolina not the coast more on TN border hopeing on this but have
Stop 3 a camp ground on a beach this will be a short day 450 miles max
Stop 4 philly pa probally around night fall

I allso found a 1 gallon exterior tank that links to the inner tank anyone try this? Also due to heat dealer suggest oil cooler thoughts?
Old 04-23-2013, 05:38 PM   #87
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by F800ekelley View Post
I also found a 1 gallon exterior tank that links to the inner tank anyone try this?
I had thought of something like that to save on fueling downtime. My main concern would be fuel leaks in your lap. I recommend installing a valve between the two tanks in case you need to shut it off on the move.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:42 PM   #88
rockmurf
IBA #31100

Oddometer: 329
Alot of good stuff. I would look into LD Comfort shorts, they also have alot of good info on hot weather riding, ie no powder or padded shorts and other cooling ideas. People can tell you all day long about works for them or what makes sense but when you are on the road it is what works for you that will get you through.
Things that work for me were the throttle lock, highway pegs, good seat, traveling at 5-10 over the limit (any faster for me is more physically draining). I also enjoyed riding at night especially in hotter months and as stated it is cooler, less traffic and more peaceful. I don't know about the rushing through gas stops or adding additional fuel tanks. You are going to want to get off that bike and the longer you can prolong that feeling that you have to get off the bike the more comfortable you will be. You can stop at mc d's and get salads and refill you ice and water and use the rest room.

The largest problem you are faced with is not the time nor distance but the time of year you are doing this. Lots of different views of mesh vs vented etc. You can siphon through all that but what you have to focus on is you and when you feel yourself weakening, fatigue setting in or other deviations from your norm you need to listen to yourself and pull off and either take a short break or get a room and a good nights sleep and recharge to ride again. Riding a motorcycle is a blast but it is also UNFORGIVING with no margin for error. Try to have fun and remember you primary goal is to live to ride again. Ride safe and have a blast.
rockmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:52 PM   #89
guavadude
de-composer

Oddometer: 760
"enjoy", "August" & "Texas" are three words that aren't often used together.
Be careful and be sure to ask for help if you need it. Just walking to mailbox in August can kill you of sunstroke.
guavadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:14 AM   #90
Qaz
Gnarly Adventurer

What kind of 1gal tank did you find? Is there a link to a website?
Kelly, those are ambitious distances to cover taking a southern route. Have fun camping on the beach, FYI- make sure the breeze is blowing from the ocean to shore and not the other way around, or you will get eaten up by sand fleas and that other flying vermin. The outer banks, NC are a nice place, but I like Ocean City, MD. It has that beach flavor and Philly is a easy ride from there.