Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2012, 12:22 PM   #31
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,045
I had a GS for 17 years. Sold it 5 years ago as it needed some pretty expensive head and maybe transmission work. Then last year bought another one as an easy project believing some of the BS the mechanic/PO fed me. Not worth fixing, price of parts is through the roof and yes they do fail expensively, had more than a few of them "expensive" failures in 17 years.

Now I use the K1200RS as an ADV bike, another one that's expensive on maintenance but funnily enough, I take it to almost the same places I used to take the GS. Even funnier.....don't see too many of them newer GSs there.

Looking for a big ADV thumper now, probably won't be a KLR but Eh!......you never know.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:34 PM   #32
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHulgan View Post
used dual-sport like a KLR or DR, just because they're cheap, cheap to fix, and very forgiving of those amateur mistakes (that a lot of veterans still make).
Yes. I'd rather have a bike that I can dump on its side occasionally without worry. It simply makes trying new things more enjoyable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWorstKind View Post
I've had three KLRs and they were fine machines. The only real shortcoming that I was unable to fix was the weak electrical output. Yes, I know, there is a slightly bigger stator available, but it still isn't enough juice. This lack of wattage will limit the heated clothing you can wear, probably to gloves only.
My '01 KLR powers my 90W jacket just fine along with other smaller additions. I have not made any power-saving changes to the bike, it is stock plus additional stuff.

Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:02 PM   #33
anchorman11
loaded

Oddometer: 20
650 single

If you don't have a lot of dirt experience then I'd say go for a 650 single. Maybe even a 450 single. I've got the beemer (09 g650gs) and when my dad and I were on a month long trip on the CDT (we both have a lot of dirt experience) I was able to make my beemer move just as quick, and a lot of times quicker, through the dirt than him on his KLR with his new fork springs and emulators. If you really wanted to move through the dirt and be able to carry just enough gear to get you by you should go find used XR650R... not that piece of shit L model.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:03 PM   #34
XRman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,058
Vstrom 2012 model

I think a Suzuki V strom 650 twin cylinder should be considered. Good on roads. OK on simple dirt roads and can do slow off road sections if absolutely necessary ( add under bike armour) . Cheap and reliable. They have a big following. 2012 model has better suspension, lighter and abit more go I think.
XRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:43 AM   #35
foxj
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
KLR 650 vs BMW GS

Lots of good points here. Best thing to do is try out the KLR, the BMW 650 GS single, the 650 twin, the 1200 GS, adn maybe the Suzuki Wee Strom 650. Allare good bikes (and you will find occasional clunkers in each). I have ridden all at some point. I currently own a KLR 650 2002 (bought it new in 2002), a BMW R1100RT 1996 (bought it used from a fellow BMW club member) and a Triumph Scrambler 2009. Got pretty much all of the bases covered with these 3 bikes (though I still lust after other bikes too). I have given thought to getting a Triumph 800 XC (test rode it, a very nice bike), a BMW G650 or F650 or even a BMW 1200 GS. BUT if I absolutely had to get down to just 1 bike -- and I'm not there yet ad hope not to be -- I would keep the KLR 650 for many of the reasons already cited:
1. cheaper and much easier to maintain than the others
2. lightest of the 3 -- a plus in picking up a dropped bike and in handling (although the Scrambler is a close second in handling -- the RT is fine under speed but is more of a chore in low speed handling and certainly is not the choice for any off road)
3. The seat height and seating position are great for me -- 6 foot 2, 195 lbs.
4. It is basic uncomplicated bike

Yes, of the 3 it is slower, lower top speed, vibrates and consumes oil at higher RPMs, does have the wind/weather protection of the RT, not as pretty as the RT or as classic as the Scrambler but as an all around jack of all trades master of none, it is a great bike. I've made lots of upgrades -- suspension, seat, luggage, bash plate, controls, taller windshield, moose hand guards, etc -- but that's the great thing about it -- you can do all this at once or as you get to know the bike better.

My 2 cents plus. Good luck with your choice.

Foxy
foxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:18 AM   #36
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveling QMS View Post
Do you want to travel a great distance with a woman?
How do you know the OP is not a woman? Or that "his woman" wouldn't ride her own bike?
Thanantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:13 PM   #37
Super. OP
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Thumb So Anyways

I bought a KLR 650, thanks for the advice!
Super. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:52 PM   #38
blues
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 873
And the adventure begins! Enjoy
blues is offline   Reply With Quote