User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2012, 11:33 PM   #1
Liberia OP
Fortunate

Oddometer: 561
Lake Radnor Rustic State Park - Nashville, TN

The visit to Radnor Lake State Park is actually a continuation of a visit earlier in the morning to Bicentennial Capitol Mall State Park in downtown Nashville. Radnor Lake is also considered Nashville but it’s actually closer to Green Hills and is in the less populated part of the city.

But first I need to stop by and see a special friend who is at Select Specialty Hospital (attached to Baptist Hospital in Nashville). It’s only 1.9 miles from Bicentennial Mall so it will be a short ride.

Leaving the park and jumping back on James Robertson Parkway West (or south).

Pulling in about 4 minutes later into the parking garage.

Spending some time with my friend Clarence. He had a tumor removed from the back of his brain about 8 weeks ago. The surgery went great and we were looking forward to a quick recovery and having him back home. Mentally he is as sharp as ever but something went wrong with his lungs and they couldn’t get him off the ventilator. So for 6 weeks he was in ICU, much of the time sedated. About 2 weeks ago he began making good strides toward recovery. A week or so ago he was moved to this hospital which specialized in lung therapy as well as helping him regain control over the use of his tongue and throat muscles. (I told him that I thought it was women who needed help learning to control their tongues.) He is smart enough not to agree with me out loud.

Clarence is special to me as we’ve been friends for many years. He has a daughter and five sons who are all quality people. He’s also the only person who has raised a son good enough for my oldest daughter. They’ve been married for 3 years now.

I know this is a ride report but every now and then you need to hear about good people going through tough times and winning.

Join our 54 Tennessee State Parks Ride Collaborative! [My Ride Reports here.]
Liberia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:35 PM   #2
Liberia OP
Fortunate

If I have gas, I'm not lost

So I left the parking garage and made my way onto 21st Avenue.

It’s 9.7 miles to Radnor Lake but Google Maps says it will take 26 minutes. Apparently they know me pretty well.

I think this is Tyne Blvd. It could be Granny White Pike but I think it’s Tyne. At the end of it is Franklin Pike where I take a right.

Otter Creek Road is only .8 miles on Franklin Pike. Of course I failed to look at that bit of information and end up near the Green Hills Mall. It wouldn’t be an adventure for me if I didn’t get lost at least once. Did I say lost? If I've got gas, I'm not lost.

Back tracking and, sure enough, Otter Creek Road is just where it’s supposed to be. Best I could tell there’s no sign on Franklin Pike letting you know that there’s a park back there. Once I got there I think I know why.

Old 11-23-2012, 11:39 PM   #3
Liberia OP
Fortunate

Parking just for me

Otter Creek Road is about 1.3 miles long and then you come to the entrance.

I’m confused as to what Tennessee calls a State Park and what it calls a Natural Area and what it calls a Rustic State Park and what it calls a Rustic Natural Area….On the State website it says this is a State Park so I’m writing it up.

I pull up to the parking area and there’s a line of cars waiting to park with a ranger metering the traffic. I sit there for a few minutes and he walks back to me and says that there are 2 parking spaces specifically for motorcycles and that I can park in one of them. I’d be glad to but the car in front of me swung out way wide and has blocked forward progress.

“There’s one right up there. You can slip in the Exit Only road if you’d like.” So I do.

The parking spot is just a slight sliver of a spot but I do feel special. “Motorcycle Parking Only” it says. I don’t think they needed to spend money on that sign since nothing else except maybe a skateboard would fit in it.

I mentioned earlier that I thought I knew why they didn’t have a sign up on the highway letting you know the park was back here. They don’t need to. It’s almost lunch time on Thanksgiving Day and people are backed up waiting to park. Who wants more people coming here.

Old 11-23-2012, 11:40 PM   #4
Liberia OP
Fortunate

Round the lake we go

Here’s a diagram of the park. You used to be able to drive from Franklin Pike (the road I came down) to Granny White Pike which parallels Franklin Pike on the other side of the park. But as I discovered. They have blocked off the middle section and now you have to park at one end or the other.

Apparently this is a good place for wildlife, especially birds.

The woods looked pretty much like this throughout the entire park. I used to hunt in woods very similar to this down near Forsythe, Georgia. Those were good days.

Here’s the road that used to connect both sides of the park but, as I walked the loop around the lake, I discovered that part of the right lane had begun to slide into the lake and had to be closed. It was still fine for walking and bicycling however. I felt discriminated against since I was on a bike but couldn’t use the roadway. Oh well, I did get special parking.

Old 11-23-2012, 11:43 PM   #5
Liberia OP
Fortunate

A walk across the dam

Here’s the first view of Lake Radnor.

It’s not a large lake by Tennessee standards where you have huge reservoirs like Percy Priest, Center Hill, Tims Ford, etc. But it was a nice sized lake that was just about as big as I wanted to walk around on a warm Thanksgiving Day wearing a leather jacket (I should have left that in the saddle bag).

I’m not very artsy when it comes to photographs. This is about as good as it gets for me.

There were a lot of ducks and geese (Canadians) on the fair side of the lake. My camera’s zoom wasn’t up to the task but you can at least see that they are there.

Another shot of the lake. The water was pretty clear for a Tennessee lake which tells me that there must be a spring feeding into it somewhere.

The park service has a little overlook with some free telescopes. I looked through one of them and could see the ducks better but that didn’t help with my picture taking. If I had known my ducks better I could have made out enough detail to identify them. I’m pretty sure none were Wood ducks.

I found a squirrel’s nest in one of the trees by the lake. I’m really surprised that I didn’t see any squirrels while I was walking around. Maybe it was because of all the dogs people were walking. Every size and shape of dog was represented.

There were also a lot of families with children out for a walk and a few bicycles. This was the other end of the closed portion of the road.

I turned left onto the causeway or dam or whatever this long mound of dirt with a walkway on top is called. It held back the water.

Here’s a shot looking back up the lake from on top of the dam. It’s either a small lake or a really big pond.

They had a small spillway to regulate the overflow of water. Only a trickle was making its way over today.

The downstream part was pretty nasty looking. I’m sure it looks better when there’s a good flow of water going down.

Liberia screwed with this post 11-24-2012 at 05:15 AM
Old 11-23-2012, 11:44 PM   #6
Liberia OP
Fortunate

A doe and a buck

There is a pretty good sized doe deer in this picture. I had to look hard and I’m the one who took the picture. Upper right side.

This is an idea of what the trails looked like. Basically mulch brought in by wheelbarrows. Good enough for me.

As I was walking along enjoying the woods….

A young buck appeared (the deer kind).

He was moving but I couldn’t get a look at him clearly enough to tell if he was a spike or more.

It was only after getting back and enlarging this photo that I could tell he was a 4 point.

Old 11-23-2012, 11:45 PM   #7
Liberia OP
Fortunate

Being Thankful

I visited the Bicentennial Mall State Park today as well as Lake Radnor State Park. They are among the more unusual of Tennessee’s State parks. The Bicentennial is very small and in the heart of a large city. Lake Radnor is fairly small and offers very few of the amenities we’ve come to expect from a Tennessee State park. But both serve a useful purpose to the people who visit them. By the way, they say Bicentennial Mail State Park is the most visited State park in Tennessee.

I guess I should tell you about the 4th visit of the day. It was to enjoy Thanksgiving Dinner with my son, daughter-in-law, her parents, uncle and brother-in-law/sister. It was a wonderful day all the way around and I have much to be thankful for. As the Bible says, “In all things give thanks.”

Old 11-24-2012, 09:55 AM   #8
aldntn
Vgo

Oddometer: 274
If I remember correctly, Radnor Lake was impounded in the early 20th century by a rail company to create a steady supply of water for steam engines. When steam engines were replaced, the lake lost its original purpose. This is a high dollar part of the county and it took a lot of dedicated effort to keep it a natural place instead of just another sub-division.

Just one of many things in Nashville and Tennessee to not take for granted and be thankful for.

09 DL650ABS
aldntn is offline   Reply With Quote