ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2012, 08:27 AM   #1
Boulder Ed OP
Bin Ridin

Oddometer: 878
Leaving CO, and thanks ADV

Well, after 12 years of home ownership at the base of the Switzerland Trail above Boulder, we have sold our home and are moving into a toy hauler which will of course be equipped with my GSA and my wife's R1200R. It's not been easy saying goodbye to CO even if it's only for the winter, as we may head back in the spring, should work lead us back.

Yesterday as the movers emptied our 3750' home and we looked at the 190' we were moving into, we kind of panicked. Hearing the occasional thumper slow down then go up the hill to the Switz made me glance at my WR parked in the garage every time. I am quite thankful I did not sell it and will store it locally over the winter.

You guys have made my riding life fulfilled with new friends, new rides, new places explored. We are heading south soon and will ride some areas we have not frequented. We won't miss the wind and snow. Nor repairing the ATV snowplow on my back in the 15 degree garage while the snow piled up outside. Life on the mountain is both blessed and hard at times. The net is this has been a fantastic ride the last 12 years, and we will miss the smell of the pines on the first warm spring days cruising along the Switz, dodging potholes of melted snow. I will miss Penn gulch, and the physical workout it gave me every time, either going up or down.

ADV conversations encouraged us to make the ride of a lifetime this summer to D2D/AK. Not many of us are so blessed as to have wives that will hop on their own bike and rough it for 47 days. We met so many nice people up there I cannot begin to tell you how emancipating the ride was. One friend from Glennallen AK, Alcan Rider, met on ADV 8 months prior to our adventure, encouraged me to make an official Iron Butt qualifier this fall and I added that to my list. The guy make even those of us that do a lot of riding look like mere beginners, and he is 70+ years old.

Well thank you guys for everything and I hope to see and /or communicate with you as we travel through NM, AZ and maybe CA/OR over the next few months. If any of you have friends with RV spots out there, where we might hole up for a few days a t a time, drop me a PM as I hate RV parks in their current impacted configurations and would love to trade some parking time for some help on home projects over the winter.
Kindest Regards,
Boulder Ed

"Terrorizing small animals on the road since 1971"
Boulder Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:51 AM   #2
duct tape
Lost

Oddometer: 459
Congrats on your new freedom! Wish I had the means and guts to do it. Keep the rubber side down.
Trails Preservation Alliance www.coloradotpa.org
Colorado OHV Coalition www.cohvco.org
duct tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:34 PM   #3
Graniteone
3,2,1...Beer me!

Oddometer: 416
Congrats on both the sale of your home and your new found freedom. Hit me up this spring and let's go riding. I am thinking of heading to Austin for Motogp this Spring.

Cheers!

Steve
Graniteone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:04 PM   #4
Boulder Ed OP
Bin Ridin

Mr. Steve...

Ok we will try and hook up some gravel together again. If nothing else, I'd give my, well never mind that, to do fall colors again. That was a great ride!

Ed

Old 11-24-2012, 08:04 PM   #5
Hondo
What if its a Samsquamch?

Oddometer: 9,365
Good luck Ed!

"Life's an adventure, and I refuse to live a boring one."

Hondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:16 PM   #6
orbiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 373
I'm jealous.
I tryed to talk my wife into moving into a toyhauler 4 or 5 years ago. We could have sold the house for good money and be living the retired life RVing. I wanted to be a camp host in the state parks. work 40 hours between the 2 of us and have a free site. Mow a lawn or other easy chores. Be a guide at a lighthouse or some other historic structure. EASY

Maybe someday

Look here for a start.
orbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:19 PM   #7
beernutt
This space for rent

Oddometer: 313
Happy Trails, Ed! Anytime you need to pull bikes through the snow on the Switzerland Trail, you know who to call...

Call Saul, Ray, or somebody else because I'm too tired to do it now!

Alan
beernutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:23 PM   #8
Olas
the darkness

Oddometer: 3,947
Wish you guys the best, Ed!

I'll see you on the road.

Take care!
Olas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:25 PM   #9
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 18,209

Slip Steppenwolf into your eight track as you head down the road.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:45 PM   #10
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Oddometer: 5,120
Ed that was a great post and speaks to the characters of ADV. Good luck on your adventures.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:50 PM   #11
BuilderScott
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 958
Have fun Ed. Let me know if you need to store your guitar collection at my house. That's what friends are for!
BuilderScott is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:08 PM   #12
modette
RMAR

Oddometer: 4,324
Well that is why I had not heard from you Ed ;-) Enjoy your travels, and have lots of fun.
modette is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:27 AM   #13
blues bob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
We'll miss ya

Thanks Brother Ed, for guiding me on my first ride on my Wr250r from your house to your backyard trails. Thanks also for giving me confidence to make my first Dual Sport ride to Moab. Oh, and that sweet guitar playing of yours. Yep, you will be missed.
blues bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:21 AM   #14
ironbrewer
Hopefully Riding

Oddometer: 4,010
Have a great adventure Ed.

Pat Paulsen
ironbrewer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:55 AM   #15
Boulder Ed OP
Bin Ridin

u guys are too kind!

I sure hope we find our way back at some point. I have a feeling Stepphenwolf and "Born to Be Wild" ain't me anymore :-) Have been listening to a lot of Grateful dead though recently, somehow I missed it the last 30 years. And dang Scott, 3 guitars went off to storage Friday, that I could have loaned ya. A few more are heading for the toy hauler though, and picking tunes under the stars wherever we end up stopping.