User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2012, 09:37 AM   #1
dm635 OP
Let's Roll

Oddometer: 362
After the crash- Getting back on

The wife says no more after what she went through during recovery. But I know my '78 R80/7 must roll again with me on it. How many guys don't climb back on? The injuries I had were serious & I was air lifted. And I figure a lot may consider theirselves lucky to be back on their feet & let riding go. But I feel riding is the right thing to do in my case.. Don't want to put wife & family through all this again, but it's just the chance we take everytime we take off. Just walking down the stairs every morning & driving my cage can be dangerous.

After much searching I think I've found all the parts I need to put this bike back together. Will know soon. Don't think the frame was effected, rolls like it did before, does start & ride. I have been on a few rides since the accident. The gentleman I bought my bike from still has 2 Beemers & we've been on some rides. He has a '75 R90/6 & an '85 K100. If you're scared to ride you'd better not climb back on. That didn't happen & hitting the wind felt great. Just asking, am I right for getting back on & repairing my bike for spring, or wrong after a serious accident for even considering it?

Also, would like to meet any Beemer riders in the Louisville area. Are there any meets even with winter upon us? Let me know please. Interested in meeting folks with the same interests. Been driving older Bimmer cars since the mid 90's. Have met quite a few of these drivers, but none own a Beemer.

.Thanks Dave
Old 11-24-2012, 10:10 AM   #2
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by dm635 View Post
Just asking, am I right for getting back on & repairing my bike for spring, or wrong after a serious accident for even considering it?
I don't think anyone else can answer that question for you. If it's what you want, if it's something you're not willing to let go of, then hopefully your wife and family can understand that. They probably won't support that idea immediately after what they've been through, but hopefully with time they'll realize that if it's something that makes you happy and something you really want to do despite the risks which you now FULLY understand better than most, then they should just let you do what you need to do to be happy.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:59 AM   #3
slmyers

Oddometer: 23
" Don't want to put wife & family through all this again"

You do not make one bit of sense. Some things are much more important than riding motorcycle.
slmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:28 AM   #4
shearboy2004
KIWIINUSA

Oddometer: 4,325
I don't know you or how you ride but have to ask was the crash your fault or a lightening strike type of thing? If it was a lack of skill then I would think twice or maybe get some lessons but if it was just a freak thing then you have to get back on and get some miles under you or you will be left guessing forever .
07 Sherco 450 called BLING.
07 Sherco 510 called Holy Shit .
shearboy2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:10 PM   #5
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by slmyers View Post
You do not make one bit of sense. Some things are much more important than riding motorcycle.
So you're saying that anyone who has someone that loves them should not be allowed to ride a motorcycle?

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:29 PM   #6
dm635 OP
Let's Roll

Thanks for the comments. I only say I don't want to put the family is because we never know when it's our time. I've riden since I was 15 when I got my 1st bike. Started out on a '73 Yamaha 250 enduro street & trail. Had a few bikes in between. Rode in Houston traffic on a '74 Yamaha TX750A for about 9 yrs. Every time I got on the road there I was a target. Had one incident that was too close where a jacked up pick up nearly ran me over. Was so close went home, parked it, sold it. Had 2 small children & wanted to be there for them. Took a break.

Kids are grown now. Bought the R80 this season & have put a couple thousand miles on it. No problems. Until the accident. I went off the edge of the road, corrected & was launched off the bike coming back on the road. This coming from the witness statement. She was coming at me at the exact time I left the road. She said she saw all that in her mirror. I don't know why, but the last few seconds before this happened are erased from my mind. Remained out for 2 days before I opened my eyes. This was on a short ride & I was only 2 miles from home.

Not knowing what happened raises the question if this women was in my lane & ran me off. This is a 2 lane country road with little traffic. I don't have black outs, drink, or take dope. This is driving me crazy wanting to know. I consider myself a very safe rider always watching around me. I know it is me that has to make the decision to ride again..My decision to ride again brings up everything my wife had to endure during all this. She was there with me when I came to. I want to ride again with her blessings, but that wont happen. My decision to ride affects more than myself. I am not scared to ride, there is no way you can ride wondering what if. Yes, you must be alert of all around you and ride safe. I don't ride carelessly and take chances Haven't even red lined this old air head yet. My plan was to ride this low mile bike for many years. The accident has just screwed it all up.

I'm rambling now so I'll sign off for now. But the R80/7 will ride again. Dave
Old 11-24-2012, 02:45 PM   #7
patanga
BMWAirheadsDownunder

Oddometer: 160
Tough call

Agreed, the hard part would be wanting to know if the other driver was in your lane and ultimately at fault. Perhaps the only way to answer that question in retrospect would have been to have had an on board camera. If you've got absolutely no recall then maybe let the question go as there is no point in beating yourself up for something that you can't answer any way. As for the question of to ride or not: Whatever you choose will be the right outcome. Good luck.

"BMW Airheads Downunder", (The Australia and New Zealand Airhead Community). "B.A.D"

http://www.facebook.com/groups/anzairheads/

patanga screwed with this post 03-19-2013 at 01:18 AM
patanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:45 PM   #8
BLU HWY
Guilty By-Stander

Oddometer: 918
Might want to post this in the Face Plant sub forum or check some of the posts there OR this link:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=819513

Might consider: A riding clinic or skills development discipline geared toward re-entry to riding, MSF or...?

I recently read that a significant fatality profile is the mature returning rider who had skills and "took a break" who is
then involved in a single bike accident.

BLU HWY screwed with this post 11-24-2012 at 02:55 PM Reason: link added
BLU HWY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:33 PM   #9
Madman1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by dm635 View Post
I don't know why, but the last few seconds before this happened are erased from my mind.
I experienced something similar. After asking some doctors, one came up with what was correct in my case.
I got knocked out. When that happens, the last 5-7 seconds has not made it to the harddisc yet.
My crash was spring 2005. Could not work for a year. I repaired my 95 R100RT, started riding again in 2010.
I wrecked it again in 2011, but that was a freak thing, didn´t hurt nor scare me. Spent last winter repairing it. In both cases mostly stripping of the fairing and tail, buying used parts from ebay.de. I´ve decided that was the last time I repaired it.
But I must admit driving the bike is differant now, it drains me more mentally.
Drive safe.
Hans
Madman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:52 PM   #10
Wdwrkr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,731
I won't bore you with the details, but I hit a jersey barrier in 1987 when the front brakes seized on my cbl350 at 70+mph. It wasn't good. I woke up 48 hours later with multiple broken bones, punctured lung and the list goes on. It took me eleven years to get back on a bike. Today I work as a part time EMT, and my best advice is take your time, and when the time is right you'll know it. IMHO this is an ongoing discussion between you and your wife. If it were me I'd repair the bike myself, taking my time, and gently dicuss what comes next with my wife. As important as riding is to you, you are more so to her. I'm sure she doesn't want you to give up something you love, but I am equally sure she wants you there to love.

Good luck, glad you are ok
Wdwrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:58 PM   #11
Byron1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
It is a tough call as has been said before and only one that you can answer.

I had several crashes racing a few years back. Nothing too serious thankfully but my mum pleaded me to stop riding. I didnt listen and carried on riding. It took a while to get over the guilt but when I explained to her that bikes are part of what makes me "me" and without them I would be a little bit less "me" she finally resigned to the fact that I wouldn't stop and now embraces what I do.

Don't have kids yet though, so cannot speak with any experience on how that would effect them. If you really want to keep riding but dont want to worry your family or dont want to feel guilty for riding, why not compromise, stop road riding and take up something like trials? You can have a lot of fun on a small bike like a TY 175 or 250, you don't need to go fast and it is probably the safest and most affordable bike sport around...

Good luck in whatever you decide!
Byron1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:48 PM   #12
DoktorT
BigBrowedNeandereer

Oddometer: 1,143
Can you think of anything else you could have done to avoid the crash? If you can't, expect sooner or later to go down again. If you can, then add to your new awarness and prevent the next one. IE if you can't ride SAFER than before, time to think a bit more about enhanced awarness of the dangers and enhanced attitude adjustment.
DoktorT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:38 AM   #13
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,389
What we do is dangerous. It is who we are but we are also the people connected to us and it seems you may have to make a choice. You think you can get your way and continue riding but this may be too much for your wife and she may have to leave. Women don't think like we do.

You get to make the first choice. You chose to ride or not to ride. She will make the next choice. She will chose to stay or not to stay. You will have to live with that.

Choose wisely.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:53 AM   #14
dm635 OP
Let's Roll

Thanks again. I did think of posting this in face plant, but put it here for my love of the air head & those that may respond. As a stall tactict I told the wife the bike wouldn't bring much in wrecked condition. Must be in complete ridable condition. I knew in the hospital that I had to get back on. I don't drive my cars off road, and this stretch of road I've been down hundreds/ thousands of times. I'm out in the country & the 1st traffic light is 8 miles away. I can go any direction to try & get lost. Can't think of anything I'd do different, this happened where I live, drive & ride. Other than not being in that exact spot. I'll put up more later.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:00 PM   #15
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 7,880
My dad said something pretty significant when I was 18 after I'd wrecked my car. I told him the reasons why the wreck happened, and he said "Ultimately, you are the cause of the wrecked car. If you hadn't started it up and driven it out of the driveway, it would still be sitting there in good shape."

In this case, had the driver been in your lane - shame on you being unable to handle the situation - either stopping in time or maneuvering out of the way!

I'm not trying to make you wrong - it's the exact way I deal with myself - I am the source of what happens to me, that's what it comes down to!

After hitting an elk in 2005, then going over a 20ft embankment, breaking six ribs on the left side - as soon as I was able I was back riding. The next summer I rode across the country to the National Rally in Burlington VT. If you don't think that was spooky riding through obvious deer country, think again!

Riding is a major part of my makeup, and it's the risk I take every time I get into the saddle. I'd much rather have a shorter, more intense life than a long one being numb and bored, though safe. That's the problem with being really alive - there are dangers involved. We have two factors here - being alive as a being, and being alive as a body. To me, being alive as a spirit comes first, otherwise life isn't worth living.

Another factor to consider besides possible lack of necessary skills - accidents can be caused by stress of one form or another. Perhaps you can locate the stress in your life at that time and resolve the issue. Hidden influences working against you can be tricky to locate.

Good luck with your problem convincing Mrs. dm635 that she wouldn't want you any other way than how you are. I think you'll figure out a way to bring her around.