ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2012, 10:34 AM   #1
viverrid OP
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Strip club blows up! (Springfield, MA)

And a lot of other stuff too.

Natural gas explosion originating in strip club on Worthington St.

Nobody killed, several injured.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:48 AM   #2
BuckRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,542
I don't understand why anyone would order Nachos in a place like that!

Current Rides:
F650GS Dakar
400 EXC
BuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:39 PM   #3
ehatcher
Hello? Is this thing on?

Oddometer: 2,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverrid View Post
....Natural gas explosion originating in strip club on Worthington St.....

Oh the humanity! How will all those single moms feed their kids? What will all the wayward husbands do with their wads of single dollar bills?

Truly a tragedy

E
"Mostly the animals understand their roles, but man, by comparison, seems troubled by a message that he cannot quite remember or has gotten wrong. Bereft of instinct, he must search continually for meanings." Loren Eiseley

My Dakar http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197573
ehatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:48 PM   #4
8gv
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,247
Silicone is explosive? Who knew?
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:17 AM   #5
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,138
I've heard from fireman that implants do blow up from extreme heat.

This thread is useless without before pictures, after not necessary.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:43 PM   #6
shipwrek12001
Shipwrek

Oddometer: 2,029
I imagine the poor boys who have to explain where they were to their wives...
shipwrek12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:22 PM   #7
viverrid OP
not dead yet

"Officials said a worker for Columbia Gas Co., responding to a call Friday evening about a gas odor in a building on Worthington Street in the city’s entertainment district, was using a metal probe to try to find the leak. He accidentally punctured an underground pipeline, causing gas to rush out, and an unknown spark triggered the powerful explosion."

Will he get fired for this?
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:18 PM   #8
8gv
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,247
How crappy is the pipe that it can be pierced by a guy with a metal rod?
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:56 PM   #9
viverrid OP
not dead yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
How crappy is the pipe that it can be pierced by a guy with a metal rod?
That guy has one helluva rod. He was in a strip club ya know.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:08 PM   #10
viverrid OP
not dead yet

I have a personal story regarding a gas leak.

I had rented an office in an old, multistory building. The space used to be a dental office. One room where the dental chair used to be had several pipe stubs sticking up from the floor. I pointed these out to the landlord and asked if I could cut them off (I was going to do my build-out myself). Landlord said sure, those aren't in use.

So there I was working after hours. One pipe came up through a close-fitting hole in the floor and ended in a threaded cap. There was a lot of slop to the pipe, when I pulled up on the cap it came up a few inches. I unscrewed the cap and the supposedly dead pipe dropped in to the floor space. Only it was a live gas line. Heard the hiss, smelled the smell, but now I couldn't get to the pipe any more to re-cap it. I figured it was filling the drop ceiling space of the floor below with gas.

This was before cell phones, I had no phone in my space yet, and the other offices were closed. So I ran down 4 flights of stairs and banged on the locked door of the restaurant that was on the ground floor. (I tried the door to the basement where the meters were but it was locked.) The fat bitch who was wiping up inside kept yelling at me to go away they were closed, as I kept yelling "GAS LEAK UPSTAIRS!!! CALL THE FIRE DEPARTMENT !!! CALL THE POLICE !!!! GET OUT OF THE BUILDING !!! GAS LEAK !!!".

After a while she took me seriously and called it in, and the police told her to evacuate the building. They got it shut off and ventilated. The Landlord just said "I thought it was turned off." Oh well.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:44 PM   #11
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:

I had rented an office in an old, multistory building. The space used to be a dental office. One room where the dental chair used to be had several pipe stubs sticking up from the floor. I pointed these out to the landlord and asked if I could cut them off (I was going to do my build-out myself). Landlord said sure, those aren't in use.

So there I was working after hours. One pipe came up through a close-fitting hole in the floor and ended in a threaded cap. There was a lot of slop to the pipe, when I pulled up on the cap it came up a few inches. I unscrewed the cap and the supposedly dead pipe dropped in to the floor space. Only it was a live gas line. Heard the hiss, smelled the smell, but now I couldn't get to the pipe any more to re-cap it. I figured it was filling the drop ceiling space of the floor below with gas.

This was before cell phones, I had no phone in my space yet, and the other offices were closed. So I ran down 4 flights of stairs and banged on the locked door of the restaurant that was on the ground floor. (I tried the door to the basement where the meters were but it was locked.) The fat bitch who was wiping up inside kept yelling at me to go away they were closed, as I kept yelling "GAS LEAK UPSTAIRS!!! CALL THE FIRE DEPARTMENT !!! CALL THE POLICE !!!! GET OUT OF THE BUILDING !!! GAS LEAK !!!".

After a while she took me seriously and called it in, and the police told her to evacuate the building. They got it shut off and ventilated. The Landlord just said "I thought it was turned off." Oh well.
Had to be a "fat" bitch huh, not just bitch? What if it was a Chinese restuarant, then what
Old 11-25-2012, 08:18 PM   #12
justme23005
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,320
Quote:
"Officials said a worker for Columbia Gas Co., responding to a call Friday evening about a gas odor in a building on Worthington Street in the city’s entertainment district, was using a metal probe to try to find the leak. He accidentally punctured an underground pipeline, causing gas to rush out, and an unknown spark triggered the powerful explosion."

Will he get fired for this?
I did some pipeline work for Columbia Gas a few years ago. They were one of the better companies to work for.
justme23005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:51 AM   #13
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,138
Quote:

Here I thought we were going to get a funny story about a live nitrous oxide pipe.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:05 PM   #14
viverrid OP
not dead yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
Had to be a "fat" bitch huh, not just bitch? What if it was a Chinese restuarant, then what:
Depends if she was fat. I didn't say what kind of restaurant it was.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:50 AM   #15
Apertureguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
Here I thought we were going to get a funny story about a live nitrous oxide pipe.
As a kid I worked buffing the floors at an International Paper Co's research office. There was a lab that had Noxious Oxide in it.

One of the yahoo's I worked with found some hose and hooked it up. However, there was some guy that decided to work late that night. When he came out of his office it was because the guy I knew had passed out for a 2nd time, knocking over crap in the lab....and he was there so long he froze open the valves.

He wasn't laughing as much as I thought he would be while they were kicking him out of the building.
Apertureguy is offline   Reply With Quote