User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2012, 10:55 AM   #1
nickel512 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
KLR died due to overload n no chain slack

Took off from my home in Minnesota on my 08 klr 27kmiles. I had torn it down n then back together with all fasteners bearings etc. checked tightened lubed. I get as far as Austin Texas on I35 7pm on about Oct 4th when I hear clunking noises then smoke then the smell of burning oil all while drastically loosing power. Next morning get it brought to Central Texas Motorsports in Georgetown. The next day in their shop they showed me that the counter shaft bearings went out and the shaft with now mucho free play was tearing up the motor and the outer case. It was done. What likely happened is I had perfect chain tension after all my prep work. Then I proceeded to load it for my 12wk Mx n CA trip then I put my 180lb body on it and the 4days MN to TX the bearings were bearings of the counter sprocket shaft were over stressed n later that day I continued my trip....on a new 2012 V Strom 650 Adventure. This dealer had numerous bikes to choose from including a used Buell Elysse all adventured up that this complete dildo of a sales manager was trying to get me to buy as it belonged to a friend of his. So I am sitting at this moment in Antigua on my way home from as far south as San Juan Del Sur Nicaragua, and u can be sure I monitor my chain tension religiously. The dealer gave my a grand towards my new wee, which I have put about 9k kms thus far and absolutely love this bike. Sure the Suzy black panniers n mounts are slowly falling apart but the bike is fn bueno .
nickel512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:53 PM   #2
Aprilia
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
Sorry to hear about the demise of the KLR. If chain slack is set correctly it doesn't matter if you have 15lbs or 300lbs loaded on the bike. Hopefully the dealer spent some time with you on basic chain adjustment/check with your new ride. All else fails read the owners manual Enjoy your new ride!
Aprilia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:08 PM   #3
Bell driver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
Chain slack should be measured on a loaded bike, ie. someone sitting on it.
2008 KLR650E
Bell driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:22 PM   #4
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickel512 View Post
What likely happened is I had perfect chain tension after all my prep work.
NOT
Old 11-24-2012, 02:27 PM   #5
nickgindy
Doing it Wrong

Oddometer: 2,390
Might as well get pic of new bike up.

Each and every day is in memory of IMPD Officer Perry Renn. E.O.W July 5, 2014. "I will always get out of my car."
2003 Sv650s; 2012 BMW F650GS; 1999 Suzuki Dr 350se
http://www.youtube.com/fetuss10
nickgindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:56 PM   #6
davesupreme
grand poobah

Oddometer: 1,458
the right way to set chain slack is to jack up the bike, remove the real shock, and move the swingarm thru the stroke so there's no bind when the rear axle, swingarm pivot, and countershaft sprocket line up.... that will be the point that the chain is the tightest.... if you don't do that, yer' askin' for trouble.....
davesupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:14 PM   #7
Kjharn
Hrmph?

Oddometer: 1,140
Quote:
What likely happened is I had perfect chain tension after all my prep work.

Bro, if you had perfect chain tension, you'd still be riding your KLR.
Old 11-24-2012, 03:19 PM   #8
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesupreme View Post
the right way to set chain slack is to jack up the bike, remove the real shock, and move the swingarm thru the stroke so there's no bind when the rear axle, swingarm pivot, and countershaft sprocket line up....
You only have to do this once if you measure the amount of slack in the chain after a proper adjustment. Or if you have stock suspension you can just read the specified 2 to 2.4 inches. Two inches at full suspension extension is still not tight when the sprockets and swingarm pivot make a straight line.

I really do measure. I have a lot of respect for a couple of mechanics near here, but they cannot eyeball chain slack worth spit. I mis-estimate it too when just looking.

Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:02 PM   #9
Attico
Wrong way 'round

Oddometer: 1,823
The right way to set chain slack is to follow the instructions in the manual. Others might have a prefered way, but whatis in the manual is what the guy who designed it thought it should be
Old 11-24-2012, 04:23 PM   #10
Tosh Togo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,594
Quote:
Took off from my home in Minnesota on my 08 klr 27kmiles. I had torn it down n then back together with all fasteners bearings etc. checked tightened lubed. I get as far as Austin Texas on I35 7pm on about Oct 4th when I hear clunking noises then smoke then the smell of burning oil all while drastically loosing power. Next morning get it brought to Central Texas Motorsports in Georgetown. The next day in their shop they showed me that the counter shaft bearings went out and the shaft with now mucho free play was tearing up the motor and the outer case. It was done. What likely happened is I had perfect chain tension after all my prep work. Then I proceeded to load it for my 12wk Mx n CA trip then I put my 180lb body on it and the 4days MN to TX the bearings were bearings of the counter sprocket shaft were over stressed n later that day I continued my trip....on a new 2012 V Strom 650 Adventure. This dealer had numerous bikes to choose from including a used Buell Elysse all adventured up that this complete dildo of a sales manager was trying to get me to buy as it belonged to a friend of his. So I am sitting at this moment in Antigua on my way home from as far south as San Juan Del Sur Nicaragua, and u can be sure I monitor my chain tension religiously. The dealer gave my a grand towards my new wee, which I have put about 9k kms thus far and absolutely love this bike. Sure the Suzy black panniers n mounts are slowly falling apart but the bike is fn bueno .

Step away from the tool-box please, and your next bike should be a non-Euro shaftie.

Fyi; a millimeter too little "slack" in a chain drive is far worse than an inch of excess. Your "perfect chain tension" was trying to yank the countershaft out of the back of the cases.

It succeeded.

PS: as mentioned, the weight of load on the bike had little to do with it. Stop looking for excuses, learn from the boo-boo, and just don't do that again.
Tosh Togo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:39 PM   #11
Myfuture_yourdebt
Banned

Oddometer: 372
I compressed my KLR's swingarm with racket straps till I had a straight line thru the swingarm from front to rear sprocket, then adjusted the chain to minimal slack at that point. Then I measured what the slack was with the bike on it's kickstand so I had a future reference for adjusting the chain in this position (like Grinnin said). It was about...2.0 to 2.4 inches depending how much slack you think is proper at that full compression position. GO FIGURE!

Let's try to inspire a little critical thinking, maybe try to understand what others are getting at instead of pretending like a manual is the do-all end-all!? The manual's specifications aren't correct simply because they are what some engineer decided on, they can make mistakes too. They are correct because this is the sort of procedure done during the final design processes so we don't have to do it as owners of stock bikes. That being said, doing the procedure yourself is the only way to be sure of what YOUR bike's chain tension/slack should be...if you change the rear suspension geometry (longer rear shock, lower links, etc.) your manual's specifications about chain tension/slack are no longer relevant. Also, if your bike is a completely custom set-up and/or you have no manual specifications to reference for X bike, this full compression slack procedure is the only way of truly determining for yourself what proper chain slack should be. A manual is for convenience...nothing about your bike is written in stone.

I'm really surprised the OP started this thread. KLR owners get enough shit around here and I don't know what kind of responses he was expecting.

Myfuture_yourdebt screwed with this post 11-25-2012 at 10:46 AM Reason: mixed up compression and extension
Myfuture_yourdebt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:17 PM   #12
nickgindy
Doing it Wrong

Oddometer: 2,390
Lol klr owners is my new sig line

Each and every day is in memory of IMPD Officer Perry Renn. E.O.W July 5, 2014. "I will always get out of my car."
2003 Sv650s; 2012 BMW F650GS; 1999 Suzuki Dr 350se
http://www.youtube.com/fetuss10
nickgindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:08 PM   #13
Bell47Pilot
MonkeyButt

Oddometer: 1,759
I used a sharpie to mark 2" and 2.4" on the swingarm. Then when I'm out in the middle of bravo foxtrot changing a tube I can use a stick, or a screwdriver and make sure it's got at least 2" of slack.

BTW, I use that sharpie all over the bike. All the torque values for various nuts are marked by them.....but my bike is a utility vehicle. YMMV!
Ride On
Preston Drew Haun June 17, 1981- August 15, 2010 #1
To achieve anything in this game you must be prepared to dabble in the
boundary of disaster. (Sterling Moss)
Bell47Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:14 PM   #14
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,838
I always set my chain tension according to the manual, only just a hair looser. I check it in several places, there is usually a tight spot, and it can change as the chain wears. Weight, as long as it is not over the recommended weight capacity of the bike shouldn't matter. If you are seriously overloaded, run the chain a little loose, but keep an eye on it.

I did have a Chinese dual sport once that had the countershaft sprocket out of line with the swingarm, and you had to adjust the chain till it was practically falling off so it would be right with a load on it, but that was just a bad design. Japanese motorcycles shouldn't have problems like that. The engine blew up at 7,000 miles on the Chinese bike anyway.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:32 AM   #15
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Weight, as long as it is not over the recommended weight capacity of the bike shouldn't matter. If you are seriously overloaded, run the chain a little loose, but keep an eye on it.
Extra weight (and extra suspension compression) will make the chain run looser. Starting from full extension the chain is loose then tightens up then loosens again as the suspension compresses more. At full compression it runs looser than at full extension (on my 2001).

Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote