Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2012, 04:31 PM   #16
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 7,976
I have both Valeo and Bosch starters in my airheads. I like them both, but actually prefer the Valeo for many reasons - much much lighter, spins faster, easier to remove/replace and work on, cheaper, and parts are cheap. I've never had magnets come loose on mine, but I have repaired a number of them with that problem. I haven't seen one of the upgraded models with dropped magnets. These things can last a long long time - easily 100K - even with the old style magnet housings.

I've rebuilt the Bosch starters before and couldn't seem to get them to work when installed. At the time I didn't know about replacing the third bushing, and that may have been why, but it frustrated me so much I replaced it with a Valeo that's worked perfectly since.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:17 AM   #17
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirespokes View Post
I have both Valeo and Bosch starters in my airheads. I like them both, but actually prefer the Valeo for many reasons - much much lighter, spins faster, easier to remove/replace and work on, cheaper, and parts are cheap. I've never had magnets come loose on mine, but I have repaired a number of them with that problem. I haven't seen one of the upgraded models with dropped magnets. These things can last a long long time - easily 100K - even with the old style magnet housings.

I've rebuilt the Bosch starters before and couldn't seem to get them to work when installed. At the time I didn't know about replacing the third bushing, and that may have been why, but it frustrated me so much I replaced it with a Valeo that's worked perfectly since.
how much weight is actually saved?

got a Bosch starter that has worked excellent despite some serious abuse due to LiFePO4 battery tests that's on going.

visit my LiFePO4 testing (link in sig) thread if anyone needs documented data on how many amps are actually used by a Bosch start on R80G/S in cold/warm conditions.
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:57 AM   #18
Biebs
BMW Airhead

Oddometer: 461
Bosch starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by khale View Post
Biebs, how's the cold start for you? That's really the only reason I'm upgrading. Tired of bruising my right kicker foot on cold starts.

Okay I have a 5 year old PC680 battery - my 74 R75/6 turns over slow when cold with Bosch but with choke on bike starts right up. I also givre the throttle a couple of blips before attemting to start. You may want to get a good starting proceedure for cold starts. My 1974 has a kickstart (last year) but is a weak unit and know to break on the 5sp trans so I avoid using it. My Carbs are in perfect balance this makes a big difference. These bikes are 30 plus years old and technology was a little more basic back then need to have VooDoo to make them work!!!

You have the older R75 - 4 sp trans??? I would try setting your choke and kicking it through a few times before attempting to engage the eletric start - this is only a cold start problem so only first startup would require this procedure.

Biebs screwed with this post 11-27-2012 at 12:30 PM
Biebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:35 PM   #19
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 7,976
Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
how much weight is actually saved?
It's considerable. Working from memory, I think the Bosch is about 10 lbs and the Valeo is more like five or six.