ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2012, 07:50 AM   #16
MountainsandRivers
loves dirty things!

Oddometer: 2,306
a few years ago we were camped up at Slickrock and the bikes at camp got inspected by the ranger. One was untagged because the rider wasn't sure if he was going to ride or not on that trip, hadn't bought the sticker. Ranger had him just load it back in the trailer and he got a warning. We have been checked on trails too, and plates seemed to pass in place of stickers. I get the annual sticker anyway (the Maverick Gas Station on the north end of town is easisest) because it supports the trails and elimintates any of the gray area concerning legality of plated bikes off road that may not conform to Utah's laws of plated motorcycle. Hopefully the fine wasn't too bad!
Old 11-25-2012, 08:05 AM   #17
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainsandRivers View Post
a few years ago we were camped up at Slickrock and the bikes at camp got inspected by the ranger. One was untagged because the rider wasn't sure if he was going to ride or not on that trip, hadn't bought the sticker. Ranger had him just load it back in the trailer and he got a warning. We have been checked on trails too, and plates seemed to pass in place of stickers. I get the annual sticker anyway (the Maverick Gas Station on the north end of town is easisest) because it supports the trails and elimintates any of the gray area concerning legality of plated bikes off road that may not conform to Utah's laws of plated motorcycle. Hopefully the fine wasn't too bad!
I say go whole hog, no lights, no tag, through town on one wheel stickerless like these boyz

Seriously, just kidding, I don't advocate breaking the law. We all push the envelope in some way or another, sometimes you win, sometimes you loose, and yes, loosin sucks!
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:15 AM   #18
modette
RMAR

Oddometer: 4,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
I say go whole hog, no lights, no tag, through town on one wheel stickerless like these boyz

Seriously, just kidding, I don't advocate breaking the law. We all push the envelope in some way or another, sometimes you win, sometimes you loose, and yes, loosin sucks!
LOL

Seen those type of videos before...funny what they call talent and they all only do Wheelies I would like to bring one of them out to CO and ride a trail and watch them panic. I guess that is a good extreme example of what people will do if no where to ride...LOL
modette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:35 AM   #19
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by modette View Post
LOL

Seen those type of videos before...funny what they call talent and they all only do Wheelies I would like to bring one of them out to CO and ride a trail and watch them panic. I guess that is a good extreme example of what people will do if no where to ride...LOL
They have pretty impressive balance and throttle control. I bet they'd pick it up pretty quick.

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:40 AM   #20
erigre
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
http://parks.state.co.us/Registratio...Locations.aspx

Purchase CO sticker locations...
erigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:36 AM   #21
Mac
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by erigre View Post
So since this is actually a thread about UTAH stickers, where can we get those in Colorado? By mail?
Member: NRA, AMA, TPA, MSF RC
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:44 AM   #22
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac View Post
So since this is actually a thread about UTAH stickers, where can we get those in Colorado? By mail?
five seconds on your favorite search engine and a few minutes filling out a form and you don't even have to leave the comfort of your couch to be Utah legal.

making it easy:
http://stateparks.utah.gov/ohv/out-o...e-registration

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

Old 11-25-2012, 12:30 PM   #23
MountainsandRivers
loves dirty things!

Oddometer: 2,306
It is funny, because we tend to debate the various legalities in Utah, what is the letter of the law to a T, and every time I am in Moab I see lots of unplated dirt bikes, even two strokes, riding right through town...
Old 11-25-2012, 12:49 PM   #24
unaweep
Uses lotsa band-aids

Oddometer: 18,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainsandRivers View Post
+1 - That's how I roll.

It's only like 30 bucks for a UT sticker and unlike CO OHV stickers, Utah's is good for one full year from the date of purchase, as opposed to expiring at the end of March, irrespective of what month you purchase it.

I wouldn't recommend riding thru Moab unplated. I had mine in my vest once and got stopped, VIN checked and warrants run. Don't give em a reason to want to check you out. When's the last time you heard someone say: "I got pulled over by a cop and the most wonderful thing happened!"
unaweep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:55 PM   #25
dmac1
Desert SW Luvr

Oddometer: 670
Neither a Colorado license plate (unless you meet Utah's requirements which include turn signals) nor a CO ohv sticker are any good in Utah. There is no longer reciprocity between the two states, hence why a CO ohv sticker is worthless there. It sounds like the OP's group had purchased Sand Flats permit, but had no valid permits on their bikes, thus, the LEO was able to ticket the offenders.

And yes, it is illegal to have an unlicensed bike on a trailer in Utah. To me, this is to eliminate the ability of people to avoid tickets by keeping bikes trailered or somethign similar. I don't like it because if I wanted to bring a spare bike in the event one broke I couldn't unless it was stickered. In the case at hand, the law seemed to work as designed.

I'd think a frequent rider to Utah would have known the rules. Likely you've gotten away with it for years, so you're probably still money ahead.

Speaking of money, how much is the ticket?
Old 11-27-2012, 02:12 AM   #26
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,852
"And yes, it is illegal to have an unlicensed bike on a trailer in Utah."

so someone trailing dirt bikes through utah, but not stopping & riding, is technically breaking the law too? so every motorcycle transporter moving dirt/mx bikes through utah to drop off at another state is technically breaking the law? a motocross race team traveling through UT to an event say in NV is breaking the law with all those bikes. i'm sure the police don't ticket for things like that out on I-70, but the rules still are written that way. is UT law really that FU?

I remember the whole turn signal moab thing thread here awhile back. A CO plate alone was not good enough, you needed signals or buy a sticker. I said to just buy some cheap stick one ones, but have them for looks only for the once over from the cop.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com

eakins screwed with this post 11-27-2012 at 02:20 AM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:16 AM   #27
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

pretty sure it is only on public lands, so if you bring a semi full of racebikes on BLM, NF, DNR, state land, whatever, then yeah they need steekers.

Messed up? Wouldn't be a legal system if it wasn't, then what would we need lawyers for?

Old 11-27-2012, 07:36 AM   #28
airjammer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by unaweep View Post
+1 - That's how I roll.

It's only like 30 bucks for a UT sticker and unlike CO OHV stickers, Utah's is good for one full year from the date of purchase, as opposed to expiring at the end of March, irrespective of what month you purchase it.

I wouldn't recommend riding thru Moab unplated. I had mine in my vest once and got stopped, VIN checked and warrants run. Don't give em a reason to want to check you out. When's the last time you heard someone say: "I got pulled over by a cop and the most wonderful thing happened!"

Answer is N.E.V.E.R.

I am a bit of a risk taker, this is the first year I haven't purchased a Utah sticker. I think they have them @ Centenial RV, though. Anyway, I paying for the ticket and the sticker at this point. Worth it? Depends, I've been rolling back and forth between GJ and Moab all year, never looked over my shoulder. But, still, I'll pay for it and move on.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:45 AM   #29
airjammer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac1 View Post
Neither a Colorado license plate (unless you meet Utah's requirements which include turn signals) nor a CO ohv sticker are any good in Utah. There is no longer reciprocity between the two states, hence why a CO ohv sticker is worthless there. It sounds like the OP's group had purchased Sand Flats permit, but had no valid permits on their bikes, thus, the LEO was able to ticket the offenders.

And yes, it is illegal to have an unlicensed bike on a trailer in Utah. To me, this is to eliminate the ability of people to avoid tickets by keeping bikes trailered or somethign similar. I don't like it because if I wanted to bring a spare bike in the event one broke I couldn't unless it was stickered. In the case at hand, the law seemed to work as designed.

I'd think a frequent rider to Utah would have known the rules. Likely you've gotten away with it for years, so you're probably still money ahead.

Speaking of money, how much is the ticket?
That's a good point. Ticket was $50. I carry a plate from my (sold) 525 in my backpack. It expired in August, just showed it and they handed it back.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:29 AM   #30
unaweep
Uses lotsa band-aids

Oddometer: 18,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by airjammer View Post
Answer is N.E.V.E.R.

I am a bit of a risk taker, this is the first year I haven't purchased a Utah sticker. I think they have them @ Centenial RV, though. Anyway, I paying for the ticket and the sticker at this point. Worth it? Depends, I've been rolling back and forth between GJ and Moab all year, never looked over my shoulder. But, still, I'll pay for it and move on.
Where are you in the Redlands? I'm down off South Camp near Wingate. We need to get together for a beer.
unaweep is offline   Reply With Quote