User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2012, 03:58 PM   #1
hammerhoot OP
dual season rider

Oddometer: 98
Gros Morne National Park

When we come down through Newfoundland from the trans-lab, my question is, is there enough sight seeing to be done in the Gros Morne National Park to spend a day there just doing that? Any recommendations on camping or lodging in that area?

Faster Horses

Younger Women

Older Whiskey

And More Money!
hammerhoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:19 PM   #2
KLR04
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
I found it quite nice, I was there for three days with my girlfriend, we were camping at Green Point, which you cannot reserve on Parks Canada's website, you show up, if there is room, you take it then pay for the spot. We did a fair amount of hiking, the trail I liked most was the peninsula at Cow Head see http://www.trailpeak.com/trail-Cow-H...w-Head-NF-2930. If you like to see something different, the Tablelands apparently come from Earth's mantle, interesting views. The boat ride on Western Pond is also nice.

Since you'll be on the Rock, I also really enjoyed Skerwink trail, http://www.trailpeak.com/trail-Skerw...rinity-NF-3467
KLR04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:35 PM   #3
georgedaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
We did the fjord tour on the way back .Well worth the time and money..
http://bontours.ca/western_brook/index.htm
georgedaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:42 PM   #4
bwokentoof
Pollyanna Man

Oddometer: 339
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't my wife and I meet you on the Blue Ridge a couple months or so back on our KLR's? If so, thanks for the advice. Worked like a charm!

You'll love the Morne. Mudpuppy and I hiked the mount on our honeymoon. Lomond park nearby is nice as you can salmon fish for breakfast almost from your tent/cabin then its off just a few miles to the mountain. Bring layers though. The day we went it was 29c at the base and 9c up top.

Cheers
bwokentoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:42 PM   #5
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,161
There's definitely enough to see to spend a day there. I spent a day there and felt like I needed more time to see all I wanted to see. I stayed at Berry Hill camping area. It was pretty nice. Make sure to stop and see Western Brook Pond. Actually, if you're coming from the trans-Lab, you'll pass by it on the way to Gros Morne. It'll be off to your left and you really can't miss it. There's a trail that leads out to it.

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:03 PM   #6
hammerhoot OP
dual season rider

Oddometer: 98
yes bwokentoof you did meet us on the Blue Ridge! Hoped you found your tire ok! Sounds like Gros Morne Park is something to see!

Faster Horses

Younger Women

Older Whiskey

And More Money!
hammerhoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:05 PM   #7
damurph
Cold Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,352
Berry Hill campground is more family oriented with lots of services. Shallow Bay is more designed for the RV crowd. Trout River is great but fog can be prevalent. Green Point offers few services and is best for tenting with the best evening vistas.
I find the National parks to be a bit expensive but i am a cheap bastard. River of Ponds is further north but is cheap and clean. A morning ride to Western Brook Pond with a stop at Paynes bakery in Parsons Pond for breakfast beforehand.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:22 PM   #8
JimmieA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,196
I replied to your other tread, same topic. I did the climb up Gross Morne and I'll never forget it. It wasn't that hard but I was 20 years younger as well. You end up looking down on Western Brook Pond/St. Pauls Bay and it is something to see. There is also the boat trip into the area but you have to hike in to get the boat. Can be busy so make a reservation I guess. As has been mentioned before there are lots of moose in the area so beware of them. Rocky Harbour is kind of a tourist area, lots of places to stay. You could plan to spend the night, tour around some and make the trip to Deer Lake in the day time it isn't that far. I did a trip south of Corner Brook along the coast, it was something special as well. It was either Hw# 440 or 450 could find out for sure, pretty nice. Really all the small coastal areas of NFLD are pretty nice.
2004 Honda XR400R
JimmieA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:33 PM   #9
damurph
Cold Adventurer

I believe JimmyA refers to the road to Lark Harbour alongside the Bay of Islands. Nice camping park there too.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:44 PM   #10
JimmieA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,196
I think we were on the south side of the bay. Ends up in a small town, fishing village.
2004 Honda XR400R
JimmieA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:35 PM   #11
damurph
Cold Adventurer

Bottle Cove.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:13 PM   #12
Hevy Kevy
ADDRider

Oddometer: 181
I spent 3 weeks on the west side of Nfld 3 years ago and didn't get to ride/do all I wanted to. So, a day or two will only be a teaser..... and you're going to want to go back, guaranteed.
Hevy Kevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:53 PM   #13
fredgreen
Is it Spring yet?

Oddometer: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hevy Kevy View Post
I spent 3 weeks on the west side of Nfld 3 years ago and didn't get to ride/do all I wanted to. So, a day or two will only be a teaser..... and you're going to want to go back, guaranteed.
I agree, I spent a week in Gros Morne in early Sept and could have spent another week exploring. I HQ'd in Norris Point and day tripped from there. Be very careful in NFLD, you might fall in love!
fredgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:42 PM   #14
1200GSCanuck
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 354
if you make it as far as the Tablelands. then you should go the extra bit of distance to Trout River...great biking road and quaint little town tucked away on the water with a fabulous little restaurant in town..off the beaten track and well worth it. i would agree as well that Norris Point is the place to call home while in the area
1200GSCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote