User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2012, 05:54 PM   #1
mattcfish OP
R90SS/6

Oddometer: 212
Dellorto flooding float issue

I left about a half gallon of gas on the ground at my last motorcycle club meeting. A little embarrassing to say the least. Glad no one was smoking or a whole line of vintage bikes would have gone up in a fireball.
Turns out one of my floats filled up with gas and doesn't float anymore. I know, I should have closed the petcocks, I almost always do.
What is especially vexing is that this particular float was only 1 year old and not exactly cheap. Luckily I had saved one of the old floats and was able to reinstall it. The only reason I had replaced it in the first place was that it was a little heavier than spec. The question is, are new floats for PHM's as good as the old ones? Is there something in fuel these days that is dissolving them more rapidly? Anyone else suffering from flooding floats?
The interesting thing is that there is no apparent hole in the float. It's just completely full of gas in one of the chambers. The new floats are a translucent white in color, even after one year. The old float, which I'm using now, is a solid yellowish color.
I'm worried about the other carb, it's also got the newer float.
mattcfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:05 PM   #2
bmwrench
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,983
I haven't seen this happen-yet. I hope yours was a fluke.
bmwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:28 PM   #3
hopscotching
On the road...

Oddometer: 256
After I did a full rebuild

One of the new floats i installed sprung a leak!!! It was replaced at no charge but very annoying to say the least, the replacement seems to be holding up well thou... I have a feeling that if they are to leak it will happen quickly, at least i am hoping
Mexico starts on this page
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1#post23188421
hopscotching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:44 PM   #4
mattcfish OP
R90SS/6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopscotching View Post
One of the new floats i installed sprung a leak!!! It was replaced at no charge but very annoying to say the least, the replacement seems to be holding up well thou... I have a feeling that if they are to leak it will happen quickly, at least i am hoping
I wonder if the newer floats are even made in Italy. What a PITA, they should last at least a decade or more.

mattcfish screwed with this post 11-26-2012 at 03:30 PM
Old 11-26-2012, 03:10 PM   #5
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,391
I don't see a problem. You bought a new part. The part failed in service. They replaced it free. Even building quality and testing everything it would be difficult to have 100% success. (they don't test everything but) I don't think you can expect any better than that. I don't think they owe you anything else.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:36 PM   #6
mattcfish OP
R90SS/6

Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
I don't see a problem. You bought a new part. The part failed in service. They replaced it free. Even building quality and testing everything it would be difficult to have 100% success. (they don't test everything but) I don't think you can expect any better than that. I don't think they owe you anything else.
Mine hasn't been replaced. What bothers me is that mine functioned for at least a year and then failed. That rings of a design problem, not just a faulty part. I think the alcohol used in the gas around here may be too much for the plastic in these floats. Just want to see if this is a reoccuring problem or just a fluke.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:51 PM   #7
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,391
Sorry. I confused the OP with somebody else that had the same problem.

I do think you should get a new part. Maybe you will. But after one year the seller may balk. Alcohol in the gas strikes again.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote