User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2012, 09:17 AM   #1
Forrest39 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
F700GS DIY Maintenance..

Santa was kind to my wife early this year and just brought her an F700GS. I have a '11 DL650 to ride that maybe I can upgrade to an F800 once this one is paid off, so I'll try really hard to get higher up on the nice list next year!

To the point, I'm curious how much routine maintenance most people do on their F-twin bikes vs. taking the bike to the dealer. I have reasonable experience working on motorcycles and feel competent to do what's required, but I'm concerned about voiding the warranty. Also, what about getting a diagnostic software package to reset the service messages - will doing this myself void the warranty? I was looking at this..

http://www.sierrabmwonline.com/produ...gs911blu-p-807

Thanks for any comments and advice!

Cheers, -Kevin
Forrest39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:41 AM   #2
bmwroadsterca
RadioFlyer

Oddometer: 112
Diy

My reading of the warranty and other literature is that having the maintenance done by a dealer is merely recommended and not required and I do everything myself. Mind you I have not had any occasion to make a warranty claim on either of our F650GS bikes (2010 &2011). I keep all receipts for parts and oil and I record the maintenance on the same form that the dealers use. Of course some a-hole could give you a hard time over doing it yourself. What you decide is a function of your confidence in your own abilities and how risk averse you are. I did invest in a GS-911 and it's great to have.

mike
bmwroadsterca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:02 AM   #3
Forrest39 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Thanks Mike,

I think I will take it in to the dealership for the run-in check, but get the service manual DVD from the dealer and do the periodic maintenance myself unless something comes up that's out of my league.

I discovered these maintenance checklists and will uses these.. http://www.ascycles.com/bmw_motorcyc...schedules.aspx

I have a T40 torx 3/8" drive but may have to add a few more torx tools to the "BMW tool set"!

Cheers, -Kevin
Forrest39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:23 PM   #4
Reaver
Outta Here

Oddometer: 2,408
Not to worry.

Unless you go way wrong, your warranty is still valid. Your first check, Run in, is just a glorified oil change so it's fairly cheap. The Dealer can check for fault codes or anything unusual and while you're waiting, pick up another filter and oil if you like. The next inspection, 6000 miles, ia a repeat of the first so should be the same cost. It's the 12 000 inspection you really need to consider. It requires a valve clearance check. There's an excellent write up here on how to do it as long as you're confident in your abilities. Should your engine blow up and it's attributed to incorrect clearance then.....all bad. Also consider, the valve clearance spec changed to a higher gap recently and depending on your build, may have been set to the old spec and will require reshimming which, since you're asking, I will assume you're not going to pull the cams etc yourself to accomplish this. (all in one sentence )

My advise, Dealer for the first, change your own oil at the second, Dealer for the valve check. See where you are by the next valve check at 24k miles as far as warranty and confidence goes. Near the end of the warranty period have it checked for software updates or recalls.

Having said that, I bought two GS's and never went back. Bought a number of filters and oil and filed the bill. Mine's out of warranty now and she wrote hers off 3 wks ago .

Service message? Who cares!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=11
Reaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:05 AM   #5
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post
... Also consider, the valve clearance spec changed to a higher gap recently and depending on your build, may have been set to the old spec and will require reshimming which, since you're asking, I will assume you're not going to pull the cams etc yourself to accomplish this. (all in one sentence ) ... !
Reaver:
So more lash is now confirmed?
Have you seen the new specs?

This observation is not pointed at you, but it seems kind of odd that they would be dicking around with specs. on this engine for simple stuff after 4+ years in production ... but that's just me ................
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:33 AM   #6
Reaver
Outta Here

Oddometer: 2,408
Let's duke it out in the Revised Valve Spec .

Somebody somewhere probably had an engine blow and the engineers figured it was a burnt valve or something so in validating their existance and creating more revenue selling shims, they revised the clearance. Having spent 3 yrs at the Dealers, I never found one 650/800 that needed changing. Now I'm sure they all will. Make work project.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=11
Reaver is offline   Reply With Quote