Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2012, 08:57 PM   #1
marshy19 OP
Georgia Clay

Oddometer: 18
San Franciso to Atlanta for Turkey Day on a KTM 690 (Gobble, Gobble!!)

Hello inmates,

That is me with my new KTM 690 in San Francisco. So now the story begins…

Far too many years I have said "should have, could have". So I was 41, newly divorced and not liking what was looking back at me in the mirror. As children we think of grand adventures. Rescue the princess from the castle and live happily ever after. We unfortunately the grind of life nearly ground me to nothing.

One of the adventures that I always wanted to take was riding a motorcycle to see the world. I started riding when I was nine. On my trusty XR80, I explored the hundreds of acres behind my house in Oklahoma. Great memories. I sold my last bike when I was 13 as my family moved to Texas.

Fast forward approximately 27 years. I finally bought another bike, an old beat up YZ 125. It didn’t matter, I felt like a kid again. The sound of a screaming two-stroke brought all the memories back.

Then divorce entered my life. Enough of that. It was tough and don't wish it on anybody. Again I was without a bike.

Some months ago I stumbled upon ADVrider.com. I started reading some inspiring stories. Some of my favorites:
- Many, many, many TAT ride stories
- Getting’ Dirty with the Wans: 8400 miles
- coast to coast (and back?) on an Italian Supermodel (thx AntiHero!)

Well i needed a bike and started looking for a new ride. For me at this point if my life it is a KTM 690. I found one. Only one little issue: logistics... It was located in San Francisco. I live in Atlanta, Georgia. Ship it? Nah. Keep looking.

Then a thought hit me. Go get it and ride it home. Note that this was Wednesday November 14 approximately one week before Thanksgiving. I was already taking the week off work and planning on driving (a car) to Texas to spend Thanksgiving with my family.

No I can't. Excuse after excuse. Then I thought, why the hell not. You have been making excuses all your life.

Looking for the next perfect trail...

marshy19 screwed with this post 11-24-2012 at 10:39 PM Reason: Pictures
marshy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:59 PM   #2
Kyron
Oncler Inds

Oddometer: 239
Sounds perfectly normal to me
Old 11-24-2012, 10:01 PM   #3
marshy19 OP
Georgia Clay

Day 1

The plan ride from San Francisco to Atlanta, Georgia in 7 days. With a stop in Texas to have Thanksgiving with my family.

Day 1 November 19, 2012

Starting Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Ending Location: Santa Cruz, California
I got up early. 3:00am. So much for 8 hours of sleep. I had already packed the night before so I was not stressed about being ready for the trip. I rolled around in bed and then gave up. Soon my friend, Rick was banging on the door to take me to the airport.

- Rick driving me to the airport

- At the airport

I breezed through security without any cavity searches.

The flight. Let’s just say it is over, done and forgetten. 5-1/2 hours in a seat designed for someone under 5’6” and under 120 pounds is not fun (I’m 6’2” and 200#). Add to this that they guy in front of me nearly broke the seat since he was trying to get it to recline past the engineering specs and his kids (18 mos and 6) were crawling all over the plane. Believe me I have kids and know the HELL that parents go on a flight.

-back of the bus

Erkkk (whatever that sound is when airplane tires hit the runway). I’m now here. Off to baggage claim to get my box with the tools. I thought about trying to carry them on but didn’t see how I could explain that a tire iron is not a lethal weapon.

Don was there to pick me up and off to downtown San Francisco.

He took me straight to the shop (a Ducati one no less) where they were mounting the new Pirelli MT90s for my little adventure!

The pictures of the bike did not do it justice. They bike was practically new. Don really takes care of his stuff. He walked me around the bike giving me a download on the bike. It definitely seemed ready for this trip.

After packing up and putting on my gear, I was ready to finally go!

It was already 3:30 (I think). I was in downtown San Francisco. Not exactly the best place to ride a new bike. After making a turn onto a one-way street (mind you all the other cars were going the wrong way). Ahhh!!!!
I calmly pulled it over to the side and made a quick u-turn and nailed the throttle. Whoa!!! So that is what a 690 can do. The little evil grin was plastered on my face!

I pulled onto 101 South and guess what? Parking lot. What can you expect? So I got lots of practice with starting and stopping, starting and stopping, starting and stopping.... Well you get the gist. I was really nervous riding in the traffic conbined with trying to get a feel for the bike. After about an hour, I noticed a “scenic parking” sign and pulled over as I needed a break. It was a good call as the sun was just about to set over the mountains. Beautiful.

- Sorry for the bad pic.

Don and I had talked prior to me leaving about which route to take. He asked me if I had ever ridden Highway 1 on a bike before. No, I answered. Well it is a cool ride if you can make the time for it. Nuf said, off to Hwy 1.

I got to Santa Cruz, CA. Found a motel and grabbed a much needed shower.

- Air Freshener!

I then walked down the street for some awesome Mexican food. Just simple meal but very tasty. A chicken taco with soft corn tortillas and a steak burrito. That sauce had a nice KICK to it. Yum!

- Off to bed. Nite nite bike…

P.S. Why the heck did I eat all that food? My stomach looks like an alien is growing inside of it!

marshy19 screwed with this post 11-24-2012 at 11:04 PM
Old 11-25-2012, 10:31 AM   #4
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,116
OK I'm in. Being a new owner of a 690 myself and having ridden coast/coast a few times, I gotta' see how this turns out.

PS: I loved my old YZ 125 too. After having no bikes for many years after the YZ, I bought a Ducati. But then I found this site and started dreaming of distant places. I was going to buy a BMW twin. Then I sat on a KTM950. It reminded me of my old YZ and I bought it on the spot. 7 years and 60k miles later I downsized to my new 690R. Very happy. I had to get a new seat, though.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:51 AM   #5
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 4,035
Great start, I'll follow along...
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:41 PM   #6
everetto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 325
I'm in too. I am very interested in a 690 myself, and who knows - I might be doing something similar to this myself in the near future.

Ride safe, have a blast and keep up the reports.
everetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:02 PM   #7
brailman133
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Sub :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
brailman133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:48 PM   #8
rodr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshy19 View Post
I pulled onto 101 South and guess what? Parking lot. What can you expect? So I got lots of practice with starting and stopping, starting and stopping, starting and stopping.... Well you get the gist. I was really nervous riding in the traffic conbined with trying to get a feel for the bike.
You know you can split lanes in California, right?

Anyway, awesome start!
rodr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:48 PM   #9
p-luc
Let play out-side

Oddometer: 23
Why Not!!!!!

Why not, that my ''MODO''.
2 years ago, I did Montreal to Toffino,BC, round trip and I come back with a new bike. Left with a KLR and come back with a brand new 990 adv, ''why not''.
We have to enjoy life now not tomorrow. The best picture a got from my la trip.
p-luc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:41 PM   #10
RTODAHL01
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
HEYYYY
Were is the rest?
RTODAHL01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:05 PM   #11
IndyChizzle
Inspired by Trevor W

Oddometer: 753
I made a similar trip from Indy to Albuquerque a few years ago. I hope your trip is as transformative as mine was.
IndyChizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:59 AM   #12
marshy19 OP
Georgia Clay

Sorry guys for not updating. Work and family responsibilities catching up. I'll make time later this week.