User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2012, 09:29 PM   #1
bmwhacker OP
Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer: 3,997
Lester Rear Wheel Drive hub replacement

My Lester rear wheel splines are about gone on my sidecar tug...along with my final drive splines. In all my BMW years I've never seen much wear in the wheel splines, only the drive splines. I have a spare final drive to use but have never changed a wheel hub spline. I've seen that Hucky has stock wheel replacement hubs....but will they fit a Lester wheel?
Main question is the attachment to the wheel. I don't think impact rivets are the way to go as the stock ones are installed with specific forces which are pretty tough to duplicate.
Wirewrker ( I miss him) and I discussed the project quite a while back and he mentioned that some aircraft type "low clearance" nuts / bolts would work.
Anyone know where such fasteners could be acquired?...or any other thoughts / ideas about this scenario?

Living proof you shouldn't play with matches
ABC# 1992
bmwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:37 AM   #2
bmwrench
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,847
Lester-bless their hearts-used the same spline coupling as OEM. They probably bought them from a BMW dealer. AFAIC, the hard part will be gettig the original rivets out. I have used 1/4-28 grade 8 button-head bolts to secure the spline to the wheel. I had to buy 100 of them, so if you'd like a set, contact me.
bmwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:11 PM   #3
bmwhacker OP
Still on 3 wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwrench View Post
Lester-bless their hearts-used the same spline coupling as OEM. They probably bought them from a BMW dealer. AFAIC, the hard part will be gettig the original rivets out. I have used 1/4-28 grade 8 button-head bolts to secure the spline to the wheel. I had to buy 100 of them, so if you'd like a set, contact me.
I'll be in touch....I definately need to get this done after New Years, We have a 300 mile round trip camping venue for New Years (Airheads Last Chance Rondezvous) ...she'll easily make that one but we plan on a 1500+ mile run in Feb. ......Gotta have new splines for that one.
PM sent.

ABC# 1992
Old 11-28-2012, 08:21 PM   #4
mattcfish
R90SS/6

Oddometer: 199
I had all my rivets fail simultaneously. It made for an interesting neutral at 70mph. I used 7mm bolts with a chunk of one side of the heads ground down to fit next to the spline. Used nuts on the outside of the wheel. Has held up for 20+ years.
My splines have held up really well. Got to keep them greased and clean.
mattcfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:38 AM   #5
Bulldust
Bulldust

Oddometer: 786
Standard BMW rivets are available. Installation is completed in a hydraulic press with an appropriate anvil to ensure the correct mushroom shape is achieved.
Bulldust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:04 AM   #6
bmwhacker OP
Still on 3 wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldust View Post
Standard BMW rivets are available. Installation is completed in a hydraulic press with an appropriate anvil to ensure the correct mushroom shape is achieved.

No hydraulic press, no anvil... hell, I don't even have a roof over my head...lucky to have electricity.

ABC# 1992
Old 11-29-2012, 08:03 AM   #7
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 7,317
I did this job on an OEM spoke wheel on my R90/6. We ordered the rivets only to receive longer rivets. I was told this is what they used or something. I don't know where we got those rivets. My buddy was a full time mechanic and should have known what was going on. I think they came from a dealer.

We had no dies. We used flat steel as the anvil. We used a 20 ton shop press. Each rivet ended up bent over to one side they were all bent over to the same side. It looked OK. It was over ten years ago. I have a small amount of radial movement of the hub but this does not seem to affect operation. I have been told the movement may cause destruction of my rear wheel hub but the small amount of radial movement has stayed the same for the last ten years. So I don't plan on ever rebuilding this hub again but as long as the hub lasts I do think I can use it.

All this effort for such a sloppy job I would not recommend using rivets to replace the hub. It is an accepted practice to use small bolts w/ nuts to hold this together and it would be a neater installation than what I ended up with.

If you can get the proper size rivets and have a correct anvil and know what you are doing, you might end up with something more acceptable. But most of us are more experienced with nuts and bolts than with this type of rivet.

Pay your debt, privatejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:59 PM   #8
bmwhacker OP
Still on 3 wheels

I'm certain the rivets are installed under very controlled conditions at the factories....lots of factors taken into account for them to be correct. My chances of pressing / beating them into place anywhere near correct are pretty slim at my open air "Flintstonian" shop facility. Bolts will be my best bet.

ABC# 1992

bmwhacker screwed with this post 11-29-2012 at 04:09 PM