Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2012, 09:20 PM   #16
ADVMAC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Same with me rf1100 & x12 Shoei are round oval like the Arai rxq . I went with the signet Q .Love it
Old 12-28-2012, 09:29 PM   #17
S/W
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 374
Get foamed

I have a long oval shaped head and find I have to wear a xxxl helmet in most makes. I have been looking for a half helmet to replace my HJC xxxl, and unfortunately they have discontinued that size. I have also found that there are very few xxxl helmets available from any manufacturers. Helmet Manufacturers, please make xxxl helmets!!!! Thank you.
Years ago, you could get ski boots foamed to your feet. It would be nice if someone would develope that technology to helmets! Or, you could have your head laser scanned and the foam cnc machined to fit. The technology is there, someone run with this.I need a new helmet.
S/W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:26 AM   #18
rhafe123
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by S/W View Post
I have a long oval shaped head and find I have to wear a xxxl helmet in most makes. I have been looking for a half helmet to replace my HJC xxxl, and unfortunately they have discontinued that size. I have also found that there are very few xxxl helmets available from any manufacturers. Helmet Manufacturers, please make xxxl helmets!!!! Thank you.
Years ago, you could get ski boots foamed to your feet. It would be nice if someone would develope that technology to helmets! Or, you could have your head laser scanned and the foam cnc machined to fit. The technology is there, someone run with this.I need a new helmet.
I have a 3/4 helmet, Z1R in 2XL that fits like a 3 XL. It's pretty decent.
rhafe123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:55 PM   #19
S/W
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 374
Half Helmet

I have a Arai 3/4 helmet which is still a little tight.I want to replace my HJC Half helmet.
S/W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:23 PM   #20
KonaTheHusky
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Check Icon

Signet Q is definitely a good replacement for the discontinued Profile, but check the Airmada by ICON for a lower price.

I know ICON has a stigma that says "I'm a dirtbag street rider" but their new Airmada line has a good long oval shape (similar to the old Profile) and a great price point ($190). If I had to rate it between intermediate oval and long oval, I'd say just short of true long oval. I wore a Signet Q in the shop for an hour and felt no pressure points. With my Airmada I can do 5 hours riding and come away with a small red spot, no pain though. I deal with this happily considering I have $300 more in my pocket over the Arai.

The venting, shields, colors, and removable/interchangeable/washable pads are all excellent.

Its also the new ECE 22-05 rated. I know its personal preference, but I go for the new ECE over Snell.

RevZilla and some of the others let you return a new helmet within 30 days if its got all tags and stickers still on it. So order it, put it on, open visor, watch TV.

KonaTheHusky screwed with this post 02-08-2013 at 03:31 PM
KonaTheHusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:10 PM   #21
davidji OP
bike curious

Oddometer: 909
Thanks. I thought I'd tried the entire Arai street line at the Progressive IMS. Nothing I tried had the forehead room the Profile has. After reading this and the Profile Alternatives thread I wonder if I missed the Signet Q or needed to try it with a thinner liner. It's on my list to try again. Icon Airmada is added to the list, as is the Bell Vortex.

How does the Airmada compare with the Profile for you with respect to noise? I think the Profile is the loudest helmet I've had, though that may be specific to how it fits me and the bike I use it on. Riding with earplugs is fine, but riding with helmet speakers playing over the earplugs is not. In a quieter helmet I think that would work OK.
davidji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:37 PM   #22
outsidein
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 428
The Bell RS is comparable to the Shoei Quest/1100 in price and quality but with a fit more for the intermediate to long oval head.
outsidein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:16 PM   #23
ADVMAC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Love my signet q