ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2015, 02:51 AM   #1
5150II OP
n00b

Oddometer: 5
TKC-70's on a 990 KTM Adventure

Anyone already tried the Continentall TKC-70 on a 950/990 Adventure?

I'm looking for a replacement set for my Scorpion MT 90 A/T rear and Scorpion trail front. Somehow I can only find TKC-70 tests and reviews in combination with BMW's. My KTM dealer has got a set for € 300,- (all in) but they don't have any 950/990 customers yet riding it, so they can't tell me what the experiences are with these new tires.

My friends and I make about 3 trips a year somewhere in Europe, we make a lot of highway miles and somehow often in pouring rain with speeds of 140 km p/h . So handling on road in the wet (and dry) is very important.

I normally would say that I would have to go for the Conti TrailAttack II for mostly onroad use, but I also would like to explore some off roading and do some allroad days and/or courses or do some light offroad myself like an occasional fire road, gravel road or beach when the sand is not too loose.

So important for me: good handeling on wet and dry roads, occasionally some light offroading. Would the TKC-70 be fine for me or better go for Heidenau Scouts or the standard Pirellig config.

Thanks.

5150II screwed with this post 04-13-2015 at 06:44 AM
5150II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 07:50 AM   #2
JRod152
will work for tires

Oddometer: 339
I just spooned on a set of TKC 70's, front & rear, for my 950 ADV. American Motorcycle Tire (USA) has aggressive pricing on all Continental products. Free shipping too.

This bike is my "street bike". I wanted tires that were great for spirited road riding, commuting, rain riding, etc. At most, I'll do some gravel road riding with this bike, since I have the SE for the offroad stuff.

I only have a few hundred miles on them so far, but they are great. They look like sissy tires, compared to the knobbies I'm use to running, but they will last a long time and provide the versatility I need. Balance them carefully, and they are smooooooth.

They have a great round profile with very progressive & predictable turn-in... something I feel the Heidenaus & similar tires lack. The Scorpions were an option too, but I have always like the rubber compound feel of the Trail Attacks & TKC 80's for road riding, so I thought I'd give these a try. I almost went with a TCK80 front & TKC 70 rear... that would be a good combo too, depending on your intended riding.

The rear has a center wear bar that will aid with longevity, but would seriously limit traction in sloppy or serious off road riding, but that is not what they are designed for.

I'll try to post up some pics when I can. Expect the same results as the OEM Pirelli's, but with a gummier feel that inspires confidence on the road. YMMV
Old 04-15-2015, 02:25 PM   #3
5150II OP
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Thanks for the review... How are they keeping up in wet road conditions compared to the standard Scorpions? I understood that te TKC are are great on dry roads but not very predictable at wet roads, are these more like the Trailattack II's but with a more offroad look thread?
5150II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 04:47 PM   #4
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,298
Is the sidewall on the front TKC 70 softer or about the same as the Scorpion front? How well does the front bite in the gravel compared to the Scorpion?

Thanks.

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 05:47 PM   #5
JRod152
will work for tires

My experience so far with these tires is good, but very limited. No rain riding yet, and very little gravel. They are smooth, grippy, and predictable on road.

It has been so long since I've run the original Scorpions, so I'm not much help there. I would imagine they will perform very similarly.

Continental considers the TKC70's a 60% road / 40% offroad tire, which I think is stretching it. I'd say 70/30... but I'm a full-on knobbie guy.

All Continentals have soft sidewalls to me, whether they are a TA or TKC... if you want sidewalll stiffness for rim protection & the ability to run low pressures offroad, you are looking at the wrong tires!!!
Old 04-15-2015, 06:57 PM   #6
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRod152 View Post
if you want sidewalll stiffness for rim protection & the ability to run low pressures offroad, you are looking at the wrong tires!!!
Thanks for the insight. Get out and ride that damned thing a little more in the net couple of weeks!

The scorpion has a soft sidewall as well. I'm not looking for pinch flat protection or the ability to run low pressures. Even with a pretty stiff knobby tire I rarely air it down below 25 on the big bike, unless I feel like doing a lot of pinch flat changes.

The tread pattern on that 70 looks a lot like Michelin Sirac. Ran one of those fronts in Brazil for a while and was not impressed on the pavement, and it was more than a little spooky in the dirt. That Sirac I ran had a very hard compound, or it was an old tire that had set out in the sun for a couple years.

I'm looking for a front tire that's a decent wet pavement performer and not too sketchy in sand and gravel. The front TKC 70 looks promising. My two preferred options were TKC80 or Scorp before the 70 came out. I've got about 4500 miles to do in May/June and about 1000 to 1500 will be gravel/dirt roads with the occasional short sections of sand wash and rocks. The rest will be pavement (most likely wet in BC, Yukon and AK) I don't really see the need to run an MT-21 with all that wet pavement and little dirt, although I have, but takes a little fun out of the twisties. I'm running a Scorp on the rear which is probably my absolute favorite dual purpose rear tire for wear and performance.

Probably just use the Scorpion since I already know what they are like. Or maybe even use a TKC80 since IMO it has really nice pavement manners already, well compared to a real knobby.

crashmaster screwed with this post 04-15-2015 at 07:11 PM
crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 08:24 PM   #7
JRod152
will work for tires

Sounds like the TKC80 is the right tire for that trip. As long as you dont brake too hard with the front brake on hard riding, it wont cup too bad. But if you ride the front brakes & run too low of pressures, it will cup like hell.

Since you have such good luck w/ the Scorpions, that might be tough to stray from. I might have to try them again... whenever I wear these 70's out. At this rate, that will take years.

I dont ride this bike much... it's my Sunday afternoon bike. The ugly one gets most of the use & abuse.

JRod152 screwed with this post 04-15-2015 at 09:07 PM
JRod152 is offline   Reply With Quote