ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2012, 04:15 AM   #16
outlaws justice
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 971
The temps have cimbed again, the snow is gone and the rain has cleaned the roads. Although it is wet out today, I took the opportunity to make it another day to ride a bike to work! Had the CB1 out and ready to service and wash to be put away for the winter and since I had not done it yet, I rode it to work instead! Funny I di not see any other bikes on the road today.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:31 AM   #17
MATPOC
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 735
Warm weekend, Monday was even warmer, was out in a tee-shirt mid day, sadly too busy for bike ride
MATPOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:17 PM   #18
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
I rode today

Even up here in the Berkshires, temp display on the bike said 54 degrees.

Rode about 50 miles on the big bike. Didn't see any other bikes on the road.

Needed to go up to Home Depot to pick up an electrical part; decided to do it on the bike.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:55 PM   #19
Chuckracer OP
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 7,137
About 100 miles of back road and woods wandering. Even got home early enough to hose the bike and change the oil...good day!

Chuckracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:30 AM   #20
viverrid
not dead yet

Riding in December in New England.

Maybe this Global Warming is good for something.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:39 AM   #21
outlaws justice
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckracer View Post
About 100 miles of back road and woods wandering. Even got home early enough to hose the bike and change the oil...good day!

Nice looking bike chuck.

I rode the KTM into work today, but I think the cold temps might be a problem later oday with the already wet roads and puddles
Old 12-05-2012, 05:32 AM   #22
XT_Driftwood
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverrid View Post
Riding in December in New England.

Maybe this Global Warming is good for something.
Last year was, I thought, an aberration and I really enjoyed the winter without snow.

If this year is a repeat of last, I will truly miss it. Snow can be a pain to deal with and all, but it's always been part of the cycle here in the northeast and winter will seem a bit more dreary with everything all brown and dead-looking instead of white.

Also, many of the taverns and restaurants count on the snowmobilers for revenue. Another bad year could cripple them.
'99 Cagiva Gran Canyon - the bane of my existence
XT_Driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:42 AM   #23
outlaws justice
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XT_Driftwood View Post
Last year was, I thought, an aberration and I really enjoyed the winter without snow.

If this year is a repeat of last, I will truly miss it. Snow can be a pain to deal with and all, but it's always been part of the cycle here in the northeast and winter will seem a bit more dreary with everything all brown and dead-looking instead of white.

Also, many of the taverns and restaurants count on the snowmobilers for revenue. Another bad year could cripple them.
Not to mention, my Snowmobiles will be stuck in the garage for another year. I want to ride!
Old 12-05-2012, 08:10 AM   #24
Chuckracer OP
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 7,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by XT_Driftwood View Post

Well said...we need an old fashioned winter this year. We've had an extremely dry summer, the ground needs the moisture.

For the sake of everybody who's livelihood relies on snow...Let It Snow!

Chuckracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:59 AM   #25
outlaws justice
Studly Adventurer

Cood ride to work this morning, but with the forcast for the next few days of temps in the 30's and rain thought I had better enjoy getting to ride to work today! About 18 degrees here.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:24 AM   #26
MATPOC
Studly Adventurer

Been doing some work on my Dad's house so I took the cage to work last few days, what a heartbreak when it's December and temp in the 60's, dirty bike been parked since the weekend and now I just noticed it has a flat. Twice I went to Freetown now, both times got a flat, at least this time I rode it home.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:34 AM   #27
viverrid
not dead yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by MATPOC View Post
Twice I went to Freetown now, both times got a flat, at least this time I rode it home.
Did you figure out what gave you the flats? Maybe something sharp is stuck & protruding inside the tire and will put a leak in every tube you put in there. (Seen it happen.)
Old 12-06-2012, 06:43 PM   #28
MATPOC
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by viverrid View Post
Did you figure out what gave you the flats? Maybe something sharp is stuck & protruding inside the tire and will put a leak in every tube you put in there. (Seen it happen.)
First flat was a nail in the rear, now it's just a slow leak on the front: me and Maat had a spirited ride home from Freetown, pretty sure it wasn't flat then, 3 days later it's on the rim.

I needed an excuse to get new tires anyway, those knobbies are pretty old and worn out. Got a Terrorflex for the rear, (bought it before I caught the nail) now I got to decide what to get for the front...
Old 12-06-2012, 07:22 PM   #29
viverrid
not dead yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by MATPOC View Post
I needed an excuse to get new tires anyway, those knobbies are pretty old and worn out. Got a Terrorflex for the rear, (bought it before I caught the nail) now I got to decide what to get for the front...
I've run a Teraflex rear. Good soft terrain tire, very hard compound, I did not continue to run it as there is so much rock here including slickrock faces. I would spin it on slick rock. Run it with lower than usual air pressure. I used somewhere in the 8 to 10 psi range on a DRZ . It seems to be a very stiff tire. Def needs to be run with rimlocks (low pressure, big knobs).
Old 12-06-2012, 08:19 PM   #30
MATPOC
Studly Adventurer

Terrorflex is softer than Karoo that it replaced, lot's of traction on dirt but wears pretty quick on pavement, the way it's going might only get 1000 miles from it...

I'm looking for a good compromise for now, eventually I might buy a smaller bike for dirt and switch the KTM back to SuMo wheels that it came with.