Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2012, 03:24 PM   #1
KustomizingKid OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 669
I am thankful for motorcycles, and weather warm enough to ride them in (South Dakota)

So here is my first post, and thread on ADV… a little background on me, I am a 22 year dude who loves riding motorcycles hahaha. Anyways I started on a 92 FZR600 that I bought in the fall of 2010 and rode into the ground. I had been wanting to get a dual sport for a while and finally the opportunity came up and I was able to afford one. I got bit by the adventure bug hard this summer when I met a couple guys who were riding across the US from upstate New York to San Fransico and have been looking forward to taking a trip of my own ever since… and I made it happen over Thanksgiving.

11/18/2012
I bought this 1989 KLR from a friend who bought it from an old guy we know from school who bought it new, I think… came with the big tank, heated grips, and some hand guards.

11/20/2012
I decided I was taking a trip for Thanksgiving since I had time off… so I had to prepare.

A little welder action later and I had this.

11/21/2012
Getting packed and ready for the trip when I ran into some petcock issues, bike was puking fuel everywhere. With nowhere to get the parts I cleaned out the petcock, flipped the oring and hoped it would last the trip.

Installed a 12v port to charge the phone and surveyed the issues this 22 year old bike has…

Fucking squirrels…

You have to hold the choke cable while it warms up… total PITA.

Spilled so much gas… good thing it evaporates unlike oil, don’t tell the EPA!

I should note that I have an awesome boss at the new job… seriously awesome guy gave me vacation days when he didn’t really have to, and gave us all $50 gas cards! That paid for almost half the gas on the trip… Thanks Justin!

All packed up and ready to go… at this point I should say that I have never taken a big trip on a bike before, I have never owned or ridden a dual sport until this week, and this is a 22 year old bike with 30k on the clock. A lot of my friends and family thought I was a bit crazy for going on a trip like this alone, but I guess that bit of danger is half of the fun eh.

KustomizingKid screwed with this post 11-27-2012 at 03:03 PM
KustomizingKid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:24 AM   #2
KustomizingKid OP
Studly Adventurer

Well I have to fix all my image links when I get get home... drats. More to come this afteroon, and hopefully with pictures this time.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:14 PM   #3
KustomizingKid OP
Studly Adventurer

11/22/2012

So now it is Thanksgiving and I am trucking down 90 headed west… I have to say going from a sport bike to the KLR takes a bit of adjustment, even more in 30 mph+ crosswinds. There were times on Thursday when I couldn’t even go faster than 65 mph in 5th gear the wind was so strong. I had to get off the freeway for a bit.

That sun…

So I wanted to make it to Rapid that night… which didn’t happen, not even close. The biggest mistake I made was thinking it was going to be like driving a car. Now I have gone from Galveston TX to North Branch MN without stopping which is over 1500 miles, but that was in a car. I have also done 500 miles on the sport bike in one day, but that was in 50 degree+ weather and doing 85 mph on the freeway. Anyways it was 6 pm, dark, and then it started snowing… I kept pushing on until my visor froze over and all I could see were fuzzy little marks on the road. So I pulled off and got a hotel, I pussed out, but at that point all I wanted was to be warm and dry.

11/23/2012
Stayed in the town of Chamberlain on the Missouri River… woke up to a balmy 19 degrees. Boy was that a cold morning… didn’t back subzero riding gear. I was good down to 32 degrees, below that fucking sucked.

Famous bridge I was told.

My seat wasn’t having the cold and promptly cracked.

Lots of nothing out there… but freezing ass cold and wind.

Stopped at the famous Wall Drug, after seeing a thousand signs I had too!

Finally got to Rapid City which I never would have made it too in one day… Just too far on a KLR for me, especially in this weather. First stop after getting fuel, food, and a few other supplies was Mount Rushmore, but I wasn’t waiting in line to take the same ubiquitous photo so I stopped here instead… old George looking out for me.

So now it was time to ride some dirt after 600 miles of asphalt… I didn’t venture out too far, being by myself I didn’t want to get hurt and become Mountain Lion food. Heard more than one person tell about how bad the big cats were this year, something to do with the drought.

I had just gone down on the snow as I came around that corner too hot… didn’t get a pic because my squirrel chewed gas cap was spewing my precious petrol on the ground. Man the KLR is hard to pick up, especially when you are slipping around on the ice. Then it was off to Deadwood before dark…

That sunset… and them colors.

It had snowed on Wednesday, which I was a little worried about… but the roads were pretty clear. Here I am the top of Lead, right before riding down a terrifyingly icy road into Deadwood.

So I pussed out again and got a hotel… too damn cold for me. View off the 4th floor smoking porch at Deadwood Dick’s.

Scary but awesome elevator… I got stuck in one a few months back and they have scared me a bit ever since.

Originally I was trying to do this on a very tight budget… but that fell apart when I decided not to camp so I also decided to splurge on some nice food. This meal was worth every penny… hell I would have paid double for how good it was and how much I was enjoying myself.

Buffalo Ravioli… so so good, especially with a Shiner.

Awesome heated porch.

Locals were talking about how the gambling laws had really rejuvenated this town, and it really showed.

Old 11-27-2012, 06:05 PM   #4
steve_k
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,056
Keep it going!
steve_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:52 PM   #5
KustomizingKid OP
Studly Adventurer

I posted up another string of pictures but apparently they need to be approved by a mod or something...
Old 11-28-2012, 06:55 AM   #6
limeymike
Who Me?

Oddometer: 552
Great ride, your friends are correct, KLR + November + South Dakota = MAD! Keep it coming.
limeymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:05 AM   #7
sealsam
Sam...I am.

Oddometer: 1,526

Great post! Nice fab on the ammo boxes. ...and on a bike the same age as you.
sealsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:54 AM   #8
azredline
Wobbly Adventurer

Oddometer: 436
Thanks for taking us along. Originally from Rapid City, this time of year I'm glad to be in the desert now!
Always good to see pics from the area though. Enjoy your trip and keep 'em coming.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:31 AM   #9
The_Scottsman
There's Beer here??

Oddometer: 100
Your writing and photos are very enjoyable! Looking forward to more!

Riding in below-freezing temperatures? Hell, it builds character!
The_Scottsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:36 AM   #10
Jnich77
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 602
Looks like an awesome trip!!
Jnich77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:52 AM   #11
Horton
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by KustomizingKid View Post
I posted up another string of pictures but apparently they need to be approved by a mod or something...
No.

Riding a bike or a hack in autum/winter is a really good thing. Go ahead!

dä rumtreibär
Horton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:14 PM   #12
Vinbowie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 367
Love it man.
There is no approval process.
You must have made a mistake.
I hope you figure it out, because
I can hardly wait.
They just stand back and let it all be." Springsteen
Vinbowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:13 PM   #13
KustomizingKid OP
Studly Adventurer

Well I think I am starting to figure the forum out and all my pics are now up... next round of pics tonight after work.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:37 PM   #14
KustomizingKid OP
Studly Adventurer

11/24/2012
So Saturday morning the day started at dawn and I was greeted with a pleasant 35 degree morning. Here I am letting the bike warm up. Decided to put a selfy out here…

To Spearfish Canyon!

Took this trail, which was supposed to go up to a waterfall, but it turned icy real fast… wish I had time to build some chains for the bike. Went down and messed up my luggage rack, bummed me out.

My rack was fine, the factory KLR aluminum rack was not

Strapped it up, had the forethought to bring a ratchet strap… now I did a half assed job which would come back to bite me in the ass later.

After creeping down the icy trail I decided it was time for some breakfast! Sourdough French Toast was amazing, and it only cost a few buck more than a meal at McDonalds would.

This ended the Spearfish Canyon portion of the trip followed by many miles of curvy roads and some gravel which ended here.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:45 PM   #15
KustomizingKid OP
Studly Adventurer

Saw this awesome truck… I am a hot rodder at heart.

I was going to go ride Needles Highway but it was closed… didn’t feel like risking it as I was burning daylight anyways… met this guy riding a well set up WR250x.

With a forecast of very cold weather and snow I needed to get out of dodge… so onto 44.

Got bored and hit a random dirt road on the way to the badlands dead ended at a ranch and I got some mean glares from a farmer.

Hit a random gravel road that had an arrow that said inside… I want to go inside!

The gravel turned into a trail, the trail turned into tracks, the tracks T’ed off and I went down the road that said HIGH GROUND CLEARANCE VEHICLES ONLY. These were really fun at speed.

Now remember when I said that I would regret not strapping my shit down better after breaking it… well here is where I started regretting that in a big way.