ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2012, 04:14 AM   #31
shipwrek12001 OP
Shipwrek

Oddometer: 2,062
i'm under the impression that most trails have a connector trail so you don't have to come back on the same trail..
shipwrek12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 05:30 AM   #32
woods wizard
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 734
Yes you can make loops. go to the website & look @ trail maps.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:46 PM   #33
Motocox
We will call him Thunder!

Oddometer: 853
Hatfield

This is route 14 , Indian Ridge towards the camp ground. Kinda slick.

http://youtu.be/dvLT2txAaT8?hd=1

137 singletrack at buffalo mountain.
http://youtu.be/D4vNmHoH4Rk

Motocox screwed with this post 12-01-2012 at 07:58 PM
Motocox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:27 PM   #34
Gabby
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 441
Rode 117 miles down ther today, but didn't ride that one. Pretty much 50 miles one way from Pinnacle to Bramwell. Long but good day
Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 03:26 PM   #35
Brown Dog
North Georgia Dual Sportr

Oddometer: 1,929
Beautiful Area & GOOD People there

I've ridden 5 of the Trailheads

We stayed in Man WV at rockhouselodge.com

Terry & his Son can put you on the Best Trails & tell you all you wanna know about the local History of Buffalo Creek Area

We rode Tagged bikes to all the trailheads & even over to the 2nd highest Bridge in USA

Go during the week to avoid all the local Quads
Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:43 PM   #36
Motocox
We will call him Thunder!

Oddometer: 853
Nice.

We usually stay in Bramwell. The ride from there to Mullins or Pineville is one heck of a day. Nice ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabby View Post
Rode 117 miles down ther today, but didn't ride that one. Pretty much 50 miles one way from Pinnacle to Bramwell. Long but good day
Motocox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:34 PM   #37
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Dog View Post
Terry & his Son can put you on the Best Trails & tell you all you wanna know about the local History of Buffalo Creek Area
+ 1!

You know this, BD, but--thought I'd mention; Terry's son, John, is Trail Archietct for the Hatfield-McCoy Recreation Authority!

Haven't found the ATV's at all bothersome, myself, but rather, courteous, trail-sharing folk, generally speaking. YMMV!
XDragRacer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:25 AM   #38
aplscrambles
WNC trail addict

Oddometer: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by XDragRacer View Post
Haven't found the ATV's at all bothersome, myself, but rather, courteous, trail-sharing folk, generally speaking. YMMV!
Wierd, I lost count of the groups of extremely slow moving, drunken quadtards and sxs's cursing and yelling when I passed them. I'm with BrownDog.
aplscrambles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:54 AM   #39
Brown Dog
North Georgia Dual Sportr

Oddometer: 1,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by XDragRacer View Post
You know this, BD, but--thought I'd mention; Terry's son, John, is Trail Archietct for the Hatfield-McCoy Recreation Authority!

Good People

I Love the Mom & Pop Businesses in those areas, as most of them are closing down around here
Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:40 AM   #40
Rob578
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Google RCH lodging, we stayed there back in Oct. We usually make the 7 hour drive from the DC area twice a year. Rockhouse is the busiest with lots of 'tards. The last few trips we've ridden Indian Ridge, Pinnacle Creek, Pochahontas and the Outlaw trails. All are accessible from RCH and Ashland. Same for Bramwell, Motocox can speak to that since I've not stayed in Bramwell.

I would leave the big bikes at home, take a real dirt bike if you have one. Most of these systems have miles of easy riding but I think every one of them has at least one section that isn't novice or big bike friendly. This isn't a RV Park with carefully graded trails. Sometimes the rating make no sense, there are Green Trails that should be black. These trials follow gas lines and are access roads to other wells and mines, they took the shortest distance across the mountains. Some of these are really steep with first gear plant your foot and gas it switchbacks. If its wet, it gets very interesting, some of the slickest mud I've ever tried to ride on.

Whether its worth a 15 hour drive, I guess it depends on where you can ride at home.

RCH would make a great place for an ADV Campout. The Owner is fine with putting up tents and his house across the street has a garage and a huge yard with an awesome view on top of the mountain. I'll post a couple of pics later
Rob578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:43 PM   #41
shipwrek12001 OP
Shipwrek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob578 View Post

I would leave the big bikes at home, take a real dirt bike if you have one. Most of these systems have miles of easy riding but I think every one of them has at least one section that isn't novice or big bike friendly. This isn't a RV Park with carefully graded trails. Sometimes the rating make no sense, there are Green Trails that should be black. These trials follow gas lines and are access roads to other wells and mines, they took the shortest distance across the mountains. Some of these are really steep with first gear plant your foot and gas it switchbacks. If its wet, it gets very interesting, some of the slickest mud I've ever tried to ride on.

Whether its worth a 15 hour drive, I guess it depends on where you can ride at home.

really I only have the 690 to ride, the xr200 on my profile is a farm beater without an ownership. no sense in bringing that over the border.

What do mean its not a well groomed RV park.... You mean the $50 trail pass is for raw trails, rocky hills, slick terrain, mud holes that one could barely get through, badly marked trails, hard trails and easy trails, with big rocks in the way, even pipeline trail made for walking?.... then I might have to drive 15hrs to get that kind of abuse..!!?. well now,, maybe I should stay home... naw thats not happening. Looks like fun.

The reason I ask about Hatfield McCoy system is to see if the place is a small bike park that can be completed in a day or is it a place you can go back to and not ride the same trail day after day..

Thank you for offering all the info you guys have offered!!

Back to some more pics and experinces..
Old 12-03-2012, 07:01 PM   #42
walawdog
The Rental Guy

Oddometer: 33
I'm new here, but live near the trails

Hey there, I am new to ADVriders.com but thought I'd throw my opinion out there. I live in Bluefield, WV, which is about 10 minutes from the Pocahontas trailhead in Bramwell. Bramwell is a cute little town, but very limited in what it has to offer as far as after riding goes. You could stay in Bluefield, have access to better hotels and restaurants and just ride over to the trailhead. I would have to agree that a 990 is going to be rough going even on some sections of the easy trail. Throw in some wet weather...it it's going to get ugly pretty fast. On pretty much any of the trails you are going to get at least a few mud holes thrown at you, even if it hasn't rained for weeks. I own a Husqvarna TE450 and it seems like that kind of bike is made for these kind of trails. I would think a skilled 690 rider would be able to handle any of the trails unless it was super tight and wet. I don't want to discourage you from coming, but be ready. Also, the Pocahontas trail is cool because you can ride from it to Indian Ridge, Pinnacle Creek and the "Outlaw" trails at Pinnacle creek (there are some insane hill climbs there and good camping spots and even some night life (but maybe not at this time of year). There is also a trail system known as Burning Rock just outside of Beckley, WV that is very nice and has lots of trail variety. All of these trails are within an easy ride or drive of Bluefield, WV.
walawdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:05 AM   #43
shipwrek12001 OP
Shipwrek

Welcome aboard to the asylum, where you get information anything motorcycling... What an awsome website.

Thanks for your comments!!

So if you could stay close to 3 of the systems, which systems and where would you stay for 6 guys? in their own bed....
Old 12-04-2012, 04:33 AM   #44
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwrek12001 View Post
So if you could stay close to 3 of the systems, which systems and where would you stay for 6 guys? in their own bed....
Depends upon the trail systems you choose.

I'm convinced many excellent choices exist; I'll just mention a couple I know of.

If the trail systems were Indian Ridge, Pinnacle Creek, and Pocahontas (with optional outlaw trails), Ashland Resort, actually located on Trail # 12 of Indian Ridge, could accommodate your group most comfortably: http://www.atvresort.com/ Kinda rural; few commercial eateries, bars, discotheques nearby! Might want to plan on cooking your own chow; maybe renting a cabin with full kitchen.

If you want to ride Rockhouse, et al, the previously mentioned-above Rockhouse/Depot Lodge http://rockhouselodge.com/ in Man, WV, is excellent, with restaurants, etc., most convenient.

Then, Bluefield, WV, as a headquarters for Pocahontas (nearest), Indian Ridge, and Pinnacle Creek (farthest), as suggested by walawdog above is not a bad idea, although Bluefield's more of a city and not so dirt-bike "adjusted," I think, as the other places mentioned, and farther from trail access (nice, affordable motels, from my experience).

Don't think you can go "wrong," whatever your choice; have fun!
XDragRacer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:41 AM   #45
Gabby
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 441
I heard there's a cool bar in Bluefield....

http://www.theramseyschool.com/
Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote