ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2012, 06:15 AM   #46
Rob578
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwrek12001 View Post
really I only have the 690 to ride, the xr200 on my profile is a farm beater without an ownership. no sense in bringing that over the border.

What do mean its not a well groomed RV park.... You mean the $50 trail pass is for raw trails, rocky hills, slick terrain, mud holes that one could barely get through, badly marked trails, hard trails and easy trails, with big rocks in the way, even pipeline trail made for walking?.... then I might have to drive 15hrs to get that kind of abuse..!!?. well now,, maybe I should stay home... naw thats not happening. Looks like fun.

The reason I ask about Hatfield McCoy system is to see if the place is a small bike park that can be completed in a day or is it a place you can go back to and not ride the same trail day after day..

Thank you for offering all the info you guys have offered!!

Back to some more pics and experinces..
You literally have years of riding down there, you aren't going to touch it in a week. There's a guy on here that sells a gps map for Garmins for around $40, he keeps it updated and it also has some of the Outlaw trails. I loaded it on a garmin Montana along with the SE topo and mounted it on the handlebars of a WR 300 Husky. Came in very handy on our last trip. Of course it didn't show the downed trees we had to carry the bikes over but we found trails we would have missed just following the paper maps. I would highly recommend a GPS and a SPOT locater, the area is very remote with no cell reception and its not always clear which way to go for the quickest help. My advice if you have a serious injury is to use the 911 button on the SPOT and sit tight. The local rescue squads are very familiar with the areas and they have access roads they use and can get in and out fairly quick. There's no need to ride an injured person 40 miles out. They also have Helo Pads on top of some of the mountains in the unfortunate case you need to be Medi-evac out.
Rob578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:19 AM   #47
Rob578
Gnarly Adventurer

Here's what you are dealing with. I think this would be an awesome place for an ADV Rally or Campout. This is across the street from RCH Lodging. The same individual owns both properties

Old 12-04-2012, 06:24 AM   #48
Rob578
Gnarly Adventurer

Take plenty of this

Kinda spooky at night in those parts

Rob578 screwed with this post 12-04-2012 at 06:24 AM Reason: spell check
Old 12-04-2012, 11:30 AM   #49
shipwrek12001 OP
Shipwrek

Oddometer: 2,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob578 View Post
Take plenty of this

Kinda spooky at night in those parts

Bring guns... really? We are Canadians, we say please and thank you... "Please don't do that" in self defense.

Don't know what is in the jars?

shipwrek12001 screwed with this post 12-04-2012 at 11:41 AM
shipwrek12001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:46 PM   #50
Brown Dog
North Georgia Dual Sportr

Oddometer: 1,917
I'm old school & prefer to see it on paper

I like to study the maps BEFORE you arrive then go explorin' upon arrival

That's half the fun to me

We rode 640+ miles in 3 1/2 days with very little slab between trailheads & without gps.

We also did the same thing in San Juan Mtns, Colorado.

The electronic gizmo's would be nice incase of a mishap though.

Enjoy your trip shipwreck
Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:31 PM   #51
Rob578
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
You literally have years of riding down there, you aren't going to touch it in a week. There's a guy on here that sells a gps map for Garmins for around $40, he keeps it updated and it also has some of the Outlaw trails. I loaded it on a garmin Montana along with the SE topo and mounted it on the handlebars of a WR 300 Husky. Came in very handy on our last trip. Of course it didn't show the downed trees we had to carry the bikes over but we found trails we would have missed just following the paper maps. I would highly recommend a GPS and a SPOT locater, the area is very remote with no cell reception and its not always clear which way to go for the quickest help. My advice if you have a serious injury is to use the 911 button on the SPOT and sit tight. The local rescue squads are very familiar with the areas and they have access roads they use and can get in and out fairly quick. There's no need to ride an injured person 40 miles out. They also have Helo Pads on top of some of the mountains in the unfortunate case you need to be Medi-evac out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Dog View Post
I'm old school & prefer to see it on paper

I like to study the maps BEFORE you arrive then go explorin' upon arrival

That's half the fun to me

We rode 640+ miles in 3 1/2 days with very little slab between trailheads & without gps.

We also did the same thing in San Juan Mtns, Colorado.

The electronic gizmo's would be nice incase of a mishap though.

Enjoy your trip shipwreck
I'm old school too, goes without saying if you don't do your homework with maps, the electronics are going to be pretty useless
Old 12-04-2012, 07:22 PM   #52
shipwrek12001 OP
Shipwrek

Quote:
I'm old school too, goes without saying if you don't do your homework with maps, the electronics are going to be pretty useless

I'm pretty sure the paper and the electronics along with the spot devices will be in place. I'm pretty sure your info is my homework. Along with google, google earth, topo USA... also a handful of tracks from www.gpsxchange.com comparing them to google earth. I have a pretty good idea what it is like there.
Its not our first BBQ

Last year we all went to Moab Utah the same way. rented a house and ran day bombs into the deserts and canyons. Spectacular to say the least. We;re hoping with some similar spectacular views.

Old 12-05-2012, 07:48 AM   #53
dlrides
1:1.618

Oddometer: 5,168
A fellow member here (The Real McCoy) owns a lodge and restraunt at the trailhead in Matewan WV. Good people !!!

Link:

http://www.hatfieldmccoyresort.com/
dlrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:19 AM   #54
Gabby
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 440
We stayed there last spring. Nice place
Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:19 PM   #55
woods wizard
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 713
more pics of rockhouse #199

Old 12-06-2012, 04:15 AM   #56
shipwrek12001 OP
Shipwrek

Quote:
Originally Posted by woods wizard View Post

more please....
Old 12-06-2012, 02:01 PM   #57
woods wizard
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 713
More Pics , Eh Hoser ?

j
Old 12-07-2012, 02:21 PM   #58
shipwrek12001 OP
Shipwrek

I'm sittin here in my toque don't ya know..eh! I need as many southern pic as I can get... Helps crystalize the igloo...