Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2012, 05:39 PM   #1
wayne_l OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
Who ever designed the KLR head needs..

Needs Bitch slapped !

i was checking timing on my 2001 KLR and adjusting valves and exhaust was way out of spec ..also noticed alot of bluing on cam lobes ..

once i pulled caps it was scored and outside cap was loose !

looks like it got hot when it got stolen ..

but too my amazement klr does not use any type of bearing in the caps for the cams at all ! in fact if its worn i am supposed to replace whole head !!

what fricken monkey makes you throw away whole head to replace a bearing ?? oh thats right there is no fricken bearing !!!

when the cam caps are worn there is no bearings to make it within spec ..the head and and caps are machined as one unit the part numbers are even the same ..

what a stupid throw away design .. just retarted .. i Have 2 heads now with same issue ... scored caps head side looks fine but cams and caps are hosed ..
Old 11-25-2012, 05:42 PM   #2
tokyoklahoma
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,169
Bluhduh cheep cheep

A lot (maybe most) bikes are built that way.

You can pay a good machinist to bore the head for insert bearings, but it would probably be cheaper to buy a new head.
tokyoklahoma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:46 PM   #3
Myfuture_yourdebt
Banned

Oddometer: 372
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=552406
Myfuture_yourdebt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:55 PM   #4
GAS GUY
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,567
Thats why its important to keep your oil level set properly !!
IBA # 23,716
http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/
GAS GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:20 PM   #5
Murf2
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 754
His head examined?

:
Murf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:25 PM   #6
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 5,634
Going way back, almost all bikes are made that way.
My TU250 is the only bike I ever had that has cam bearings.
Old Triumphs (push rods) had bushings...
NJ-Brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:05 PM   #7
wayne_l OP
Gnarly Adventurer

its a piss poor design the motor could go for ever if it just had replaceable engine bearing rather than throw away ..

i dont care if everyone does it , dont make it right lol.. just expensive to fix ...I have 2 heads now same way ..

my bike was stolen and stripped and got it back much later .. Looks like they got it hot .. and i bought a another donor bike only to find it too had same damage .
wayne_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:06 PM   #8
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,648
Second head, same bike? Your oil pump is bad.
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:12 PM   #9
Aprilia
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 493
KLR engine certainly has some design issues but the head is certainly not one of them. Heat was not your problem...lack of oil was. Remember the KLR was designed mid 80's, however, time has marched on and manufactures still use same setup for specific reasons. If the bike is maintained properly its bearing surfaces will certainly outlive multiple owners. Sorry for your troubles but your complaint doesn't have much merit. Heads are cheap...replace it. Keep the oil level correct and you'll never have to think about it again.
Aprilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:24 PM   #10
GreatWhiteNorth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,339
Could be some other things too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
Have read/heard setting idle rpm too low results in lower oil pressure which can result in scored/galled bearing caps. I suspect (degraded?) oil quality (long oil change interval related?), and perhaps letting oil level get too low in high heat conditions contributes to pooching the cam bearing surfaces too. I agree replaceable bearing surfaces would be nice... but you'd be paying more for it too, right? KLR is a budget bike, with the engine designed pretty similarly to other Japanese mc engines.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:27 PM   #11
wayne_l OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aprilia View Post
KLR engine certainly has some design issues but the head is certainly not one of them. Heat was not your problem...lack of oil was. Remember the KLR was designed mid 80's, however, time has marched on and manufactures still use same setup for specific reasons. If the bike is maintained properly its bearing surfaces will certainly outlive multiple owners. Sorry for your troubles but your complaint doesn't have much merit. Heads are cheap...replace it. Keep the oil level correct and you'll never have to think about it again.

this why almost any industrial motor uses some sort of bearing right ? as well as any american motor ? they too must be wrong ... if i had a issue with oil starvation or heat i should be able to replace the bearing and not the entire head ,yes thats a design flaw it was designed to fail and be thrown away not repaired . You should be able to pop the caps and replace th e bearings not have the aluminum sit on the cam directly this is a cheap design period ..

yes you can get alot of miles out of the engines , Build it to be repaired, not replaced it could go even further ..
Old 11-25-2012, 07:47 PM   #12
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 5,634
Its often done in cheap motors.
Lawn mower engines now use plastic cams.
I guess they figure if you keep oil in it, its never a problem until the entire motor is worn out, and when the valve guides and valve seats are shot, its time for a new head.
Some cylinders have plated bores, when they wear out you toss them.

From what I read, the klr's have more serious design issues.
NJ-Brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:03 PM   #13
wayne_l OP
Gnarly Adventurer

a new complete head is about 750 minus shipping .. then you need new gaskets ,cams and fluids so your about 1000 bucks into it without your labor .. or you could have thrown in some plasti guage and new bearings in for 30 bucks ..

but as it sits right now ill also need new cams as well the exhaust especially since its scared and blued pretty bad ..

i was hoping to use the parts bike head but it was just as bad once i pulled valve cover ..

My wife keeps telling me just buy a another bike ,but im not letting this damn thing beat me now ... ive gone too far to go back ..
Old 11-25-2012, 08:25 PM   #14
lilsmokey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post

No its a kawasaki
I ride a bullet. A 2 wheeled, multiple-explosion powered machine with enough moving parts to remove entire fingers. Surfaces hot enough to cook flesh. It propels me at neck-breaking, bone-snapping flesh-tearing speeds, over and trough obstacle's I can only see as blurs. Its a sport that kills the careless, maims the best, and spits at the concept of mercy.

lilsmokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:42 PM   #15
Myfuture_yourdebt
Banned

Oddometer: 372
OMG THAT WAS HILARIOUS!
Myfuture_yourdebt is offline   Reply With Quote