Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2012, 07:23 PM   #1
kevinj OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Black Friday deal on beginner air compressor?

Hi everyone,

I want to be able to fill or top off my tires at home. I know that the little 12V units are able to do that and have the advantage that you can take them with you when you travel, but I don't know ... I don't feel like hooking it up to the battery every time I want to use it, and I also see so many problems with defective units in the review section of websites ...

So I was thinking of getting something just a little larger, that I can hook up to 220V or 120V, that I can get out in the driveway with an extension cord, and that will fill my tires fairly quickly. What I've seen so far on a few threads here :
* the units with oil are preferable because they're much quieter;
* the very smallest ones can be slow because something is too low volume

I currently have no other air tools that I would use an air compressor for, and I don't see that changing soon.

So: has anyone seen a Black Friday deal at some nationwide store (HF, Sears, Lowes, ... ) for an air compressor that would be a good match for me?
- fairly small and quiet
- fills 2 mc tires quickly
- good deal
- not too many problems - doesn't usually fall apart on people
- additional hoses etc. are either included or easily/cheaply available.

Thanks so much!!

Kevin
kevinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:24 PM   #2
kevinj OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
So here is one that I wonder if it is any good?
Craftsman, 1HP, 3 gal, 125 PSI. $80

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-3-gal...2&blockType=G2

Or is this not a good choice for me?
kevinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:36 PM   #3
huntly2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Personally, I always find it amusing at the amount of "gear" people need. I'll bet I can whip out my full size bicycle pump and have my pressure correct before you can find the wall socket.
huntly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:34 PM   #4
trc.rhubarb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,874
Bike pump is faster and easier and I have a big compressor.
Crafstman red compressors are loud enough to wake the dead :)
Buy a nice bike pump and you will be happy unless you are changing your own tires, then you will want a bigger compressor.
1975 BMW R90/6
Follow me here
trc.rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:44 PM   #5
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinj View Post

I got that when my small electric pump gave out, it's been great for me so far, a couple of two three years.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:47 PM   #6
rapidoxidationman
Easily trainable

Oddometer: 8,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by trc.rhubarb View Post
Bike pump is faster and easier and I have a big compressor.
Crafstman red compressors are loud enough to wake the dead :)
Buy a nice bike pump and you will be happy unless you are changing your own tires, then you will want a bigger compressor.
The lifetime guarantee on all the parts a good bike pump has beats a 90 day warranty on a compressor too...

But I'll still use my compressor to fill anything bigger than a bicycle tire. (2hp Hitachi)
rapidoxidationman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:17 PM   #7
Snowbound
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 873
Quote:

I have four compressors that I use for work .Some high dollar Thomas units down to that Craftsman .
I used that same compressor( finish nail guns) for my work for a few years . I sold it to a helper who is still using it at 6 years old . You can order parts for it from Sears . Great compressor . Easy to carry around , and easy to store in very little room .
2001 R 1150 GS 1978 R 100RS 1976 XT-500 1964 CL-72
1955 CJ-5 1975 F-250 Highboy

Snowbound screwed with this post 11-22-2012 at 05:34 AM Reason: +
Snowbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:56 AM   #8
Knotbob
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Best Rest "cycle pump"

Best Rest has their Cycle Pump on sale today and tomorrow for $100 and it includes a quality gauge and their dvd about repairing tires when you are miles from help.
No, I don't work for them but I did just order mine this morning.

Yes, I did see that you don't want a portable unit but why wouldn't you want to have a capable air compressor with you so you can bag your tires for sand, etc. and/or repair a tire instead of hiking for help or tearing up a tire and rim riding on it?
Knotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:44 AM   #9
MrBob
Jambo!

Oddometer: 7,273
For topping up before a ride, you cant beat a good bicycle tire pump. If you've got your heart set on something to plug in you might want to consider a pancake compressor.
I've had mine for over 20 years and at one time used it in commercial carpentry.
I wouldn't worry about oiled or oil-less at the level of use you're describing, just be sure to drain it after each use so moisture doesn't collect in the tank and rust it out from the inside.
Having a 20 foot hose and a few fittings can prove quite useful around the house.

http://compare.ebay.com/like/3802911...Types&var=sbar
Old 11-22-2012, 12:26 PM   #10
VStromTom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,579
That Sears compressor will work just fine. Save your arm from all that pumping, its bs.
VStromTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:53 PM   #11
the_gr8t_waldo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,032
i might well be behind the times on this, but...sears only have the lifetime warrenty on craftsman hand tools. power tools carry something like 60day warrenty.(maybe less)
the_gr8t_waldo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 03:02 PM   #12
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,897
Quote:

I have this same unit or it's eight year old brother. I got to do do light demo work, fill tires feed a blower nozzle and finish nailer. Works well for all of those tasks and with an air dry it's functioned as an airbrush compressor. It's loud but it does the job.

If I was just filling bike tires once Ina while I'd get a nice foot pump or floor pump, especially if it's just a couple of tires.
Old 11-22-2012, 04:03 PM   #13
num1husker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
compressor

Quote:
Hi everyone,

I want to be able to fill or top off my tires at home. I know that the little 12V units are able to do that and have the advantage that you can take them with you when you travel, but I don't know ... I don't feel like hooking it up to the battery every time I want to use it, and I also see so many problems with defective units in the review section of websites ...

So I was thinking of getting something just a little larger, that I can hook up to 220V or 120V, that I can get out in the driveway with an extension cord, and that will fill my tires fairly quickly. What I've seen so far on a few threads here :
* the units with oil are preferable because they're much quieter;
* the very smallest ones can be slow because something is too low volume

I currently have no other air tools that I would use an air compressor for, and I don't see that changing soon.

So: has anyone seen a Black Friday deal at some nationwide store (HF, Sears, Lowes, ... ) for an air compressor that would be a good match for me?
- fairly small and quiet
- fills 2 mc tires quickly
- good deal
- not too many problems - doesn't usually fall apart on people
- additional hoses etc. are either included or easily/cheaply available.

Thanks so much!!

Kevin
Kevin:
I would just buy one of those inexpensive oil flooded single stage H/F compressors. I mean for under 100 bucks and you use it enough it will pay for itself. When it breaks just throw it out.
I've been involved with air compressors and compressed air treatment in one way or another directly for over 25 year and that's what i've done. I've had my H/F unit for over 5 years and use the heck out of it and it's done very well. If I need more air then my 2 h.p. unit I've got 10,000 hp worth of compressors at my plant that I would call on to bail me out but it hasn't happened yet.

So go get one of those inexpensive units use the hell out of it and then get another when it breaks, if all your doing is hobby kind of task. just my 2 cents
num1husker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 04:08 PM   #14
SpeedyK
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 231
I mostly use a bicycle pump, but sometimes rims don't have clearance for the nozzle lever, esp. vintage bikes with drums. Then the Costco jumpstarter with compressor comes in handy. Portable, pumps a long time on a charge, and you could even steal the 18ah battery out of it for a motorcycle if needed. I'm on my third year with a 17ah battery from a 33$ HF jumpstarter in one bike.

For the road, buy one of those $4 ones that look like a miniature of that Sears, take the case off and put a Battery Tender type plug on the end. If you keep the battery tender pigtail on the bike battery, it's pretty quick to use. Not as quick as a bicycle pump, tho.
Old 11-22-2012, 04:13 PM   #15
10/10ths
Road Trip Fool

Oddometer: 877
I have that Sears...

...Craftsman pictured above. I bought it for exactly the same reasons you listed. Works great for this role.

But.........It is really, freaking LOUD.

Cheers.

2004 Honda RC51

2011 Suzuki GSX1250FA replaced my '04 Wee 2-14
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote