Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2012, 06:19 AM   #1
CaptDanimal OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
My R80RT CAFE after 13months of wrenching.

So its my first time posting on this forum . (or any other forum for that matter) Had I discovered this garage full of Air headers a year ago I doubt highly that rebuilding this bike would have taken me so long. I wouldn't say that I will ever be done wrenching on her but this is where I'm at. This is my first bike build- I've gotten all my garage know how from my dad rebuilding VW bugs so suggestions on any improvements are encouraged and will be highly appreciated. Also if anyone who loves these Airheads or Cafe's for that matter lives anywhere near Daytona Beach Florida give me a shout and lets RIDE,

This bike used to belong to my grandfather in its RT days, at 67 years old he rode it from Guatemala to Alaska and back again with 2 of his buddies, living on the side of the road, drinking and eating out of folding cups. the stories he's told me of that trip were so amazing that I ended up begging him for the bike. He's 88 now, still rides almost everyday but prefers a much lighter bike. He knew I was going to make some changes but neither of us knew how far I'd take it. He took it for a test ride last month and came back a half hour later with the biggest grin I've seen on anyone by far.

I'm currently looking for advice on achieving higher top end at lower revs as I have plenty of power (I've got no previous experience with gear boxes so this might make for and interesting thread, better front brakes and advice on how to stiffen up the front suspension., ohyah,, Im also not running a speedo, ((I just do the math in my head officer)).. is this even legal?

CaptDanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:12 AM   #2
Beater
Mighty Unclean

Oddometer: 3,170
Well done! The paint is fantastic!!
Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:15 AM   #3
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,946
nice job!

_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:45 AM   #4
TINK
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 715
Sweet!

Nice job, I like it!

Here's my PROJECT S in progress > http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=684054

TINK
TINK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:22 AM   #5
US_Marshall
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Looks good, I like the black and white.

Carbs on the wrong sides? May bee mine are on the wrong sides, if it works I suppose it doesn't matter.
US_Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:31 AM   #6
kaput13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 486
Like what you've done with grandfather's bike. Nice work! I especially like the paint and that seat. I'm in the South Florida area and hopefully we will run into each other sooner or later. The plans for my 82RT are a little more stock oriented but heading in the same overall direction as your fine effort. Couple questions - who did your paint work? Where did you source the seat portion? the gascap? the speedo that isn't working?

By the way Florida airheads have their own website, the Flairheads.
kaput13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:42 AM   #7
photorider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 277
Nice work and great story. I hope you get many happy miles out of her.
photorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:49 AM   #8
CaptDanimal OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by US_Marshall View Post
Looks good, I like the black and white.

Carbs on the wrong sides? May bee mine are on the wrong sides, if it works I suppose it doesn't matter.
Yes the carbs are reversed, two reasons. Aesthetically I like the look of the cables and levers on them. Why hide all this awesome German engineering on the inside when they look so damn cool. Also it's proven to be quite handy. I can reach down and make adjustments without fumbling around. I don't ride off road at all so there's no danger of snagging anything in the bushes. Hopefully soon ill get more of the carb parts powder coated and they'll really look great
Old 11-26-2012, 10:00 AM   #9
CaptDanimal OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaput13 View Post
Like what you've done with grandfather's bike. Nice work! I especially like the paint and that seat. I'm in the South Florida area and hopefully we will run into each other sooner or later. The plans for my 82RT are a little more stock oriented but heading in the same overall direction as your fine effort. Couple questions - who did your paint work? Where did you source the seat portion? the gascap? the speedo that isn't working?

By the way Florida airheads have their own website, the Flairheads.
Ill reply in a bit with the details of the outsourcing. The single gauge is only a tach with no idiot lights (or whatever you call them) I haven't decided if I'm going to run a speedo or not. I haven't figured how to run one off the mechanical cable from the gearbox. I've looked at acewell for hours but haven't seen one that works for me yet. I like the race track simplicity of just running a tach though. Hopefully I don't get hassled by the law
Old 11-26-2012, 11:14 AM   #10
boxerkuh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Awesome work, well done!!! Keep it up.... I love what you can do to the bikes, from stock to mild to wild....

Speedo... done a lot of research and I finally mounted a Sigma BC 1609 bicycle speedo unit on it. It is awesome. For 50 bucks the best of the best. 100% accurate, also has a clock, temperature, stop watch, count down, and a light. Easy to mount on the handle bar....

I went as far as building a plate, drilled a whole for the ignition key, 2 idiot lights (oil pressure and neutral), and above that my volt meter and the sigma speedo.... I am not completely done, another month or so... PM me for more details if interested....

I will be copying the battery mount when I build my seat in the spring. That is the solution I have been looking for. Thank you.
boxerkuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:22 AM   #11
Stimfy
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Thumb

[QUOTE=CaptDanimal;20118665]So its my first time posting on this forum . (or any other forum for that matter) Had I discovered this garage full of Air headers a year ago I doubt highly that rebuilding this bike would have taken me so long. I wouldn't say that I will ever be done wrenching on her but this is where I'm at. This is my first bike build- I've gotten all my garage know how from my dad rebuilding VW bugs so suggestions on any improvements are encouraged and will be highly appreciated. Also if anyone who loves these Airheads or Cafe's for that matter lives anywhere near Daytona Beach Florida give me a shout and lets RIDE,

This bike used to belong to my grandfather in its RT days, at 67 years old he rode it from Guatemala to Alaska and back again with 2 of his buddies, living on the side of the road, drinking and eating out of folding cups. the stories he's told me of that trip were so amazing that I ended up begging him for the bike. He's 88 now, still rides almost everyday but prefers a much lighter bike. He knew I was going to make some changes but neither of us knew how far I'd take it. He took it for a test ride last month and came back a half hour later with the biggest grin I've seen on anyone by far.

I'm currently looking for advice on achieving higher top end at lower revs as I have plenty of power (I've got no previous experience with gear boxes so this might make for and interesting thread, better front brakes and advice on how to stiffen up the front suspension., ohyah,, Im also not running a speedo, ((I just do the math in my head officer)).. is this even legal?

Ueber cool Boxer
Stimfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:06 PM   #12
Houseoffubar
fine beer sampler

Oddometer: 1,768
Reversing the carburetors is silly, stupid, serves no practical purpose at all, and generally shows poor judgment!
I would never have thought to try it, looks like fun!

Nice work overall on the rest of the bike too. I suspect the rear sets are a touch high, but who cares, Ride on!
Old 11-26-2012, 03:24 PM   #13
dalla
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Wow, that looks very nice. Good effort.
dalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:40 PM   #14
CaptDanimal OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houseoffubar View Post
Reversing the carburetors is silly, stupid, serves no practical purpose at all, and generally shows poor judgment!
I would never have thought to try it, looks like fun!

Nice work overall on the rest of the bike too. I suspect the rear sets are a touch high, but who cares, Ride on!

They are high for rear sets... The cowl comes off the back of the bike to reveal (wait for it) the rest of the seat so I can have a rider in tow.... cant have a chick magnet with out a place to put her...

I'll take the poor judgment comment as a compliment... poor judgment got me started on this blasphemist cafe and it's made me smile every day in the garage.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:05 PM   #15
Houseoffubar
fine beer sampler

Oddometer: 1,768
I'm really starting to like the blacked out treatment to the motor. Never thought I would do it, but I am really leaning that way!
Some real nice detail work here!