Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2012, 04:49 PM   #16
CaptDanimal OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houseoffubar View Post
I'm really starting to like the blacked out treatment to the motor. Never thought I would do it, but I am really leaning that way!
Some real nice detail work here!

If you liked the paint you'll love this... heads are diamond cut, ....

CaptDanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:49 PM   #17
Cdubs
made for adventure

Oddometer: 89
Looks great, really aggressive stance! Gets me thinking...
Cdubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:36 AM   #18
boxerkuh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 239
WOW......

The only limitation is our imagination....
boxerkuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:24 PM   #19
Ctscrambler
2010 Scrambler Black

I have an 81 r100rt I just bought and want to do a similar project, but more Scrambler like. Did u have a problem getting off the fairing and relocating the switches for heated grips, the blinkers etc?

Do you think this will help or hurt resale if I ever sell down the road? Purists will probably scoff at any deformation from original form, but I'm looking to make this into a project with my son some day.

Thanks in advance. Ps, can I get a decent paint job for less than $500?
Ctscrambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:47 PM   #20
Leadnuts
do-over...

Oddometer: 116
It looks BRILLIANT!

carb switch-a-roo is fascinating! What instigated it? Accessibility to choke pulls?
Leadnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:23 PM   #21
CaptDanimal OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctscrambler View Post
I have an 81 r100rt I just bought and want to do a similar project, but more Scrambler like. Did u have a problem getting off the fairing and relocating the switches for heated grips, the blinkers etc?

Do you think this will help or hurt resale if I ever sell down the road? Purists will probably scoff at any deformation from original form, but I'm looking to make this into a project with my son some day.

Thanks in advance. Ps, can I get a decent paint job for less than $500?

The fairing came off in a day. I took a lot of care and unbolted everything and saved the wiring for last where ever possible. Label everything as it comes off. Wire's, nuts, bolts, washers, brackets. EVERYTHNG. plastic baggies and a sharpie is what i went with. Some things couldnt be saved but the rest was listed and sold.

I made no attempt at making tons of money out of the fairings, and miscellaneous parts. simply auctioned on ebay and hoped they went to a good home. This helped clear my conscience and hopefully satisfied whatever Gods the purists believe in.

It wasn't a tough choice for me to decide what to keep and what had to go. if it wasn't going to make the bike go or stop I didnt want it on there. Brackets were chopped and ground off almost immediately. Im not sure what the bike weighed in at before i started but the amount of extra weight on an RT is mind boggling. The bike is actually a nimble performer now and will get its day on the track very soon.

I didn't save speedo's, gauges, grip warmers, indicators, headlight ( i got a lighter one) seat pan, rear fender, battery replaced with a gel so i could mount it sideways, battery box, air box, exhaust, center stand (although i miss it ALOT)

WHEN CUTTING OUT THE DASH, LOCATE THE WIRES FOR THE GEN LIGHT. YOU WILL NEED THIS TO LOOP TO CHARGE.

i kept the stock controls (for now). it just seemed to make things easier with all the changes in the wiring harness. the start, kill and headlight dimmer is the only thing left on it that is functioning. I will probably swap them out this spring for something else.. (any ideas anyone??)

as for resale.... I haven't a clue, probably wont get much for these rebuilds but then again stock value isn't high anyway... this bike and i will never part ways, it was my grandfathers favorite bike and now it's mine.

paint on a frame and a few fairings can be done for your budget. racing stripes and pin stripping always adds to the price but if you shop around im sure you can get someone with a sprayer and a paint booth who needs some extra bucks. your going to break your budget if you paint your mags and engine.. IF you learn to spay and make a impromptu booth with pvc and tarp in the garage you can do it all for half the price.

good luck , hope my ramblings are helpful.. let me know how it goes :)
Old 11-27-2012, 07:36 PM   #22
CaptDanimal OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houseoffubar View Post
I'm really starting to like the blacked out treatment to the motor. Never thought I would do it, but I am really leaning that way!
Some real nice detail work here!

hey FUbar, saw the links to your stuff,, Your welds are FANTASTIC... bravo buddy
Old 12-21-2012, 02:09 PM   #23
boxerkuh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 239
Been keeping up with your tread. Do have another question as I am progressing in my own build... looking ahead....

You said your rear tail/spoiler/cafe hump whatever you wan to call it comes off to ride a passenger. Do you have some pictures of that? How does that mount. I am thinking this is a custom, one off, build that you did yourself. Any help in this area would be appreciated.

I what to mount a /5 SWB rear subframe to my Paralever R. Since it is one of my daily riders I would run it most of the time with the tail piece in place, but if I am going out of town, it would be nice to remove it and strap a duffle across.
boxerkuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:26 AM   #24
digger440
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Very nice, details are where it is at and you certainly have a eye for them. They are what takes a bike that seems like the rest and pushes it to the realm of wheeled art.

Fantastic job!
Old 12-29-2012, 03:21 PM   #25
Ctscrambler
2010 Scrambler Black

Thanks

Captdanimal, thank you for the in depth answer to my question. Gonna start selling off the fairing in a month or so why I get time to take It off.

Have a great New Year

Ctscrambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 03:37 PM   #26
Zodiac
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 30,640
Looks great, I have a few questions from one mono to another.

1. Using pods and eliminating airbox, any loss of power issues?
2. What rear sets did you get, and were they simple bolt on or pain in the ass modify frame or sets install?
3. From the pics it's hard to see what you did with the muffler(s), do you have better pics, (more light) to show details?
4. The heads, assuming they were powder coated then machined (fins)?

Thanks and best of luck with it.
1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:12 PM   #27
tdrrally
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,370
talk about a 0 to hero story

nice ride
tdrrally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:03 PM   #28
bill42
Old-School BMWs

Oddometer: 351
Nice job

Very nice. I am currently building a similar café out of an 81 R100RT. Can you post a pic showing more of the front? Your helmet covers the headlight in your side photo and I want to check out your headlight treatment.
1958 BMW R50 aka: A BMW Motorcycle Story (link)
bill42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:17 AM   #29
bmweuro
Mad Scientist

Oddometer: 3,270
Very nice. How about some more pictures?
VBMWMO #7770, BMW MOA #48694 & Airhead BMW Club #600
bmweuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:53 AM   #30
CaptDanimal OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post
Looks great, I have a few questions from one mono to another.

1. Using pods and eliminating airbox, any loss of power issues?
2. What rear sets did you get, and were they simple bolt on or pain in the ass modify frame or sets install?
3. From the pics it's hard to see what you did with the muffler(s), do you have better pics, (more light) to show details?
4. The heads, assuming they were powder coated then machined (fins)?

Thanks and best of luck with it.

The airbox is an emissions thing... serves almost no purpose in my mind but to capture oil vapor and send it back thru the engine for combustion... freeing the airpath of all this stuff probably gained me some efficiency/power.

the rear sets are generic bolt on thru the original frame holes... the fold up rubbery stock ones have been auctioned away... when I'm aggressively riding solo and want my feet up higher I just slid them up to the rear pegs.. they're actually in a comfortable spot.

the heads and engine are painted...

I'll see what I can do about more pictures