User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2012, 09:09 AM   #1
Capt_phun OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Low Seat Height Dual Sport

Sorry if this has been gone over, couldn't find an all encompassing list.
Looking for a dual sport with a low seat height, 32" or less.
So far I have found:
Super Sherpa
Yamaha Xt250
Suzuki DR200se
Honda CRF230L

what else should I be looking at? I would say I'd go as far back as 2003 if used.
thanks
Capt_phun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:11 AM   #2
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,288
http://cycle-ergo.com/

Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."
"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."
Wlfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:53 AM   #3
motomike14
Thumper Crusader

Oddometer: 1,686
Honda just also came out with the new CRF250L. Still a pretty low seat height; fuel injected, water cooled, and cheaper (!) than the 230L.

I drink the koolaid too...just not the orange kind.
motomike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:29 PM   #4
73Mustang
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by motomike14 View Post
Honda just also came out with the new CRF250L. Still a pretty low seat height; fuel injected, water cooled, and cheaper (!) than the 230L.
The 250 is not low. It's 35" seat height. It's very tall. And those FI and water cooling equals more, more heavy weight.
73Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:38 PM   #5
Bulldogs2k
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
used 230L, but i'm biased. I have 11k on mine, and you can get them for CHEAP! Six speeds and dum dum simplicity = win!
Bulldogs2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:07 PM   #6
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,848
XT225... cheap, reliable, and a pretty decent trail bike. Lots of them built too.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:50 PM   #7
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,303
Read the "Shortypants" thread, and the CRF150R thread, and you'll cover the bases. There are many others on this site, including detailed discussions on lowering bigger bikes like the DR650.

You only have three choices:
1. buy a short bike;
2. buy the bike you want and lower it; and
3. learn to ride a tall(er) bike.

Most hobby riders go for options 1 or 2. Most dedicated riders start with 1 or 2 and end up at 3. Off road riding requires ground clearance and suspension travel. Options 1 and 2 compromise on both. If that's ok, you're all good.

Edit: Other options for short riders are to take 2T and 4T "kids" MX bikes and put full sized wheels on them. This involves more compromise as race bikes have very different throttle response, often don't have batteries or rear subframes and often aren't (or can't be made) street legal. You'll find several threads discussing these options here, too. Just page down through the thread titles.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Gryphon12 screwed with this post 11-26-2012 at 02:57 PM
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:56 PM   #8
Capt_phun OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Looking for a lower height for a couple reasons. I'm about 31" inseam. I'm on a V-strom 650 & can almost get flat footed. Wanted a small bike to get totally flat foot for commuting on & still have it able to get off road. Also, I'm hoping a shorter bike will make the 5'4" 120lb wife more interested in riding something more manageable (I originally wrote smaller, but figured that would leave me wide open to "your wife wants to ride something smaller" jokes).

Also, I just want a lighweight bike I can whip around like a little 120 lb biatch.
Capt_phun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:42 AM   #9
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,662
A Kawasaki KLX250S with lowering links makes a nice, affordable bike with enough zip to keep things interesting for a long while. Lots of aftermarket support for the bike, too. Lowering is easy and cheap; I've got these Burkhart links on my DR:

http://burkhartcycle.com/store/

Good luck!

Sarah
Old 11-27-2012, 10:35 PM   #10
BillMoore
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
I'm 5'7", 135 lbs, 30" inseam, and ride a KLX250S with 1.5" lowering links. I can touch my feet down pretty well when wearing my riding boots. My toes are solidly planted, my heels are just lightly touching the ground. Works great! This bike was a return to riding for me after over 20 years, and my previous bike was a KE100, so this bike felt pretty big and heavy to me at first, but now I am totally used to it, and really like the size. Just needs a little more power. Like maybe a 351BB kit.

My wife is 5'5" and rides a CRF230L, which is about 2" lower, and 30 lbs lighter, so if you are really worried about being able to touch down, that is an option. It is a nice little bike offroad, but totally gutless at any speed over 45 mph.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:30 AM   #11
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73Mustang View Post
The 250 is not low. It's 35" seat height. It's very tall. And those FI and water cooling equals more, more heavy weight.

That's funny, my 5'6" GF has no issue with seat height on the 13' CRF250L bone stock. Would be easy to make it lower for those that need it.

35" seat? Not likely, do your homework.

70MPH highway speeds - no problem
Mountain single track trails - no problem.

Great bike, check out the owners thread for the low-down.

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:43 AM   #12
skywalker714
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
redo suspension

I purchased by 08 husky 610 in jan. and never rode the bike stock. I pulled the suspension and sent it off for a revalve and removed 1 1/2" of travel. This works much better for my 29" inseam. After many years of riding the first place I now spend my money is on suspension.
skywalker714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:12 PM   #13
fried okra
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
I vote for the Super Sherpa!!!!!!!!!!!

fried okra
fried okra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:21 PM   #14
73Mustang
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
Honda Website--2013 CRF 250 L :
Quote:
Seat Height34.7 inches

Curb Weight 320 pounds
Very unlikely that a 5'4" beginner is going to feel comfortable riding it on single tracks or steep mountain trails. The OP wants a small bike to "whip around". The 250L is not it.

It also weight a lot. But it seems to be carrying those weight low, so it might feel a lot lighter than actual.

73Mustang screwed with this post 11-28-2012 at 12:34 PM
73Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:14 PM   #15
ADVNCW
Banned

Oddometer: 341
Talking CRF230L will do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt_phun View Post
Sorry if this has been gone over, couldn't find an all encompassing list.
Looking for a dual sport with a low seat height, 32" or less.
So far I have found:
Super Sherpa
Yamaha Xt250
Suzuki DR200se
Honda CRF230L

what else should I be looking at? I would say I'd go as far back as 2003 if used.
thanks
Good luck and enjoy your next ride, whatever you may decide

Here is what I decided to ride this year- a Honda CRF230L- after studying this forum and all I could find. As well, I started riding in 1970 and rode several types and size of dirt/ dual purpose/ street motorcycles. Attributes to consider are rake and trail, torque and power characteristics. It is incomplete to consider only HP and suspension travel...those seem to be dominant in discussion and consideration. All sort of HP does not help on dirt if all that happens is that the wheel spins, spins out. Useable torque on dirt (excluding mx riding) is what matters.

On my close local riding the foothills above Eagle Creek, Leavenworth WA.

My riding is in the mountains, steep mountains, a lot of narrow riding, real interesting even dangerous singletrack- thrilling! So I bought the only real Japanese dualsport that is under 270 lbs, shortest wheelbase, 6 speed with the biggest spread, lowest 1st gear, shortest seat height. I am not height-challenged, I am a big 'ol guy, but I like to try to go gnarly places solo, and I can always handle this motorcycle even in really tough situations. I hardly drop it, it is so small and light, easy to turn. If one rides flat or rolling open terrain, one wants a long travel high HP motorcycle- not the 230L. Offroad, light is always better, so to get under 270 lbs OEM street-legal, then it is the CRF230L or a Euro bike.

For traveling with luggage it is nice that it gets great gas mileage- 84 MPG EPA rated, I got 73 MPG loaded on the WABDR http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=824677 . Fully loaded with my camp the weight is similar to an unloaded WR250R and less than an unloaded CRF250L! Every time I stop with the loaded 230L, I EASILY put both feet down, on uneven or sloped terrain. Turning is easy, I have turned the loaded 230L on steep sidehill singletrack. It is frustrating on highway over 50 MPH, gutless. With a Seat Concept seat, 1 7/8 handlebar risers and XR Only footpegs it is a comfortable ride.

Lone Frank Pass 6712.' The high point of the WABDR-

Since May when I paid $2900 with 900+ miles on my 230L, I have had 7000 miles of trouble-free riding- every time I fire it up I am heading for dirt. I have looked at, studied, and priced or been quoted on most of the motorcycles discussed here. Cannot decide yet to get something else, and I really enjoy riding the 230L.

Good luck and enjoy your next motorcycle!
ADVNCW is offline   Reply With Quote