ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional Forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2015, 07:01 PM   #1
Bluecomet OP
What, me worry?

Oddometer: 117
New Dealership in Georgia?

Does anybody have any experience with BMW Motorcycles of McDonough, GA? This is apparently a new dealership. I've been really happy dealing with BMW Motorcycles of Atlanta in Marietta but being 2 hours south of Atlanta this would be MUCH more convenient. I need to get the rear flange recall work done plus some other non-pressing wrenching done.

Anybody used them and have comments?

Bluecomet screwed with this post 06-15-2015 at 07:47 AM Reason: Clarify title
Bluecomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 11:09 PM   #2
Ga. Grizz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
I live in McDonough and just bought a new bike from Blue Moon. I really wanted to buy from them as a dealer 15 minutes from the house was a dream come true. I will be driving a little farther.
Ga. Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 05:39 AM   #3
Bluecomet OP
What, me worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ga. Grizz View Post
I live in McDonough and just bought a new bike from Blue Moon. I really wanted to buy from them as a dealer 15 minutes from the house was a dream come true. I will be driving a little farther.

Thanks man......
Old 06-15-2015, 08:46 AM   #4
marty hill
The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 4,303
Well, thats the final answer. Time to shut the new dealership down.

Semper Paratus
marty hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 08:08 PM   #5
Travman
SDF

Oddometer: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ga. Grizz View Post
.....and the rest of the story?

2014 BMW R1200 GSA
2011 BMW R1200RT - gone
2008 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 - gone
Travman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 02:10 AM   #6
Ga. Grizz
Adventurer

The rest of the story? While I was shopping around I went in there several times and never had anyone come offer to help me. I guess the special sales guy with the BMW shirt on sitting at his desk did not figure I looked like a BMW customer. Finally got someone to talk to me and I did take a few test rides there and asked for the best OTD price. It was to high. Also while asking if I would have to be tied to a dealer I was told by a service person that I should change the oil every 1200 to 3000 miles and bring it to them for this.
I am sure I will buy some things from them in the future since they are so close but they will not see my motorcycle in their shop.

And now you know the rest of the story. Also they may just be having teething pains taking on a new brand.
Old 06-16-2015, 06:10 AM   #7
lhendrik
Truffle Rustler

Oddometer: 2,430
I have been ignored in several BMW dealerships, most notably BMW in Daytona, Fla. - went in several times, never saw a salesperson, never offered assistance on showroom floor or in accessory area. Walked around looking at new WC's and left, never assisted.

On multiple visits, I watched salespeople, service writers and accessory sellers talking with their buddies and looking annoyed by the interruption of a customer who had questions.

To me this neglect is a good indicator of just how poorly managed the place is. The owner/manager is absent or has just given up. The staff are lazy, and no one is watching.

I did have some "emergency" maintenance performed there years ago while touring through, and must say my mechanic did a great job and seemed dedicated and knowledgeable.

With a $20,000+ item on offer they expect the bikes to sell themselves, and for some that is what happens. Not me. Shop elsewhere, I say. Look at the difference at a place like one of Max BMW's outlets. Exceptional staff, and they are probably the most successful dealer in the network.

Vote with your wallet.
Old 06-16-2015, 08:40 AM   #8
sarhog
Ride far...

Oddometer: 612
I'm amazed at the number of inmates who apparently want a salesman to attach himself at the hip to the customer.
I appreciate being able to walk around and look at the bikes without being pestered by a salesman. If I have a question or need to talk to one, I'll find one.
Old 06-16-2015, 09:13 AM   #9
mb90535im
'05 R1200 GS

Oddometer: 5,329
Hell, I went into Pandora's in Chattanooga to pick up my bike from having recall work done a couple of weeks ago one busy Saturday afternoon. Wifey was with me so I announced as we came through the front door "We're looking for his and her R1200 GSA's, but she really wants to test ride a Monster first to be sure". Justin and John darn near fell over in their chairs trying to get up to help us. I guess I must look like a BMW customer.
mb90535im is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 08:05 PM   #10
Bluecomet OP
What, me worry?

BMW of McDonough Update

OK, I partially answered my own question today after a 100+ mile drive to McDonough. Seems that BMW of McDonough is actually one corner of the Cycle Nation of McDonough building. Web site says that they are now under new ownership of Freedom Powersports but they haven't changed any signs or their cash register receipts. They carry all the Jap bikes plus Polaris. BMWs seem to be a recent addition. BMW of McDonough has a separate web page but not a separate buliding.

The showroom had several new 1200 GS models and a couple of 1200GSA's. I think there may have been a couple GS 800's as well. Anyway, not a complete inventory but had one of the biggest assortments of BMW riding gear I've seen anywhere.

Parts folks seemed really nice but had trouble figuring out where to find an air filter on the microfich. So it was obvious that they are new to the brand.

The apparent BMW sales person was glued to his computer while I spent quite a while drooling over the new bikes and gear.

I would assume that they have only recently begun selling and servicing Beemers. Didn't talk to anyone in service.

Still a bit undecided if I will let them swap my final drive flange when the time comes or to ride the extra hour to one of the two northern GA dealers.
Old 06-17-2015, 11:44 AM   #11
Ga. Grizz
Adventurer

I have been using this dealership, or trying to for years. I have a few hondas and a suzuki and always try and support the local dealer when possible. Same is true for another major dealer in Conyers. 98% of the time I go in to buy parts they say they can order them. Well I can order them also and have them shipped to my house and it will be cheaper. I never thought to mention that BMW was a new addition, sorry about that. They also change ownership almost as often as I change oil.
Also, I do not want a salesperson glued to my hip, I prefer to be left alone. But after looking at a bike for a extended period of time I would like to hear a"If you need anything let me know". I should not have to tackle a salesperson and then wait for him to get the right salesperson.
Old 06-17-2015, 12:59 PM   #12
Mossy_Crk
Fallen over

Oddometer: 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluecomet View Post
They carry all the Jap bikes plus Polaris. BMWs seem to be a recent addition. BMW of McDonough has a separate web page but not a separate buliding.
This is BMW Motorrad's new business model. No more single specialty shops. New apps for license are taken only from existing Powersports stores valued over $1M + $500k in liquid assets. BMW customers are used to doing business differently with enthusiast shops than a lot of the multi-brand dealerships. Service seems to have a hard time keeping up. Heck, one of the BMW dealerships in my region only has 1 mechanic, asks for bikes to be left as collateral before they will order warranty items, etc. Lots of growing pains. I think as customers and dealerships work through the changes things will get better, but I really question BMW Corporate's decision to go this route.

This was recently submitted to the MOA forum.
Quote:
Become a BMW Motorrad Dealer

We thank you for your interest in becoming a BMW motorcycle dealer. BMW Motorrad USA is not currently accepting applications to become a potential dealer in the United States.

We are currently performing market studies to determine the optimal locations in which to open new BMW motorcycle dealerships. We view all markets in a similar manner to optimize consistent and accurate results. This way we can strategically attract the right dealers in the right places. BMW Motorrad USA is dedicated to developing a focused network of dealers who will offer excellent customer service.

Once we complete our analysis of the markets, we will begin accepting applications from individuals with established power sports or similar business experience. The ideal candidate has the ability to commit the required financial resources to operate a successful BMW motorcycle dealership and a successful business track record with high customer satisfaction ratings. The minimum requirements that BMW Motorrad USA looks for when reviewing Prospective Dealer Applications are $1 million in net worth and a half million in liquid assets (cash and marketable securities).

BMW Motorrad provides one of the most comprehensive training programs in the industry offering a combination of on-line and instructor led classes with locations throughout the U.S. We offer live technical support via the internet and parts support is available via a toll free phone number.

If there are certain markets that interest you, please send a letter of interest indicating the specific market along with a resume from all potential investors to:

Dealer Development Manager
BMW Motorrad USA
P.O. Box 1227
Westwood, NJ 07675 - 1227

Within a few days we will reach out to you via email in response to your letter.
Mossy_Crk is online now   Reply With Quote