ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2013, 08:29 PM   #271
Jmartin20
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Talking Looking to adv + tour ride

Hey so I just bought an 1150gs 5 months ago and I ride it daily to and from work and then also longer weekend rides, but not knowing or riding with others has made riding a little boring... I would love to see who's out there in the lynchburg area willing to hit the back roads on the BRP some weekend soon, or just go ride some curves.

Email is jmartin20.jm@gmail.com.

I work at Liberty so if you see me feel free to stop and chat!
Jmartin20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 05:58 AM   #272
draley
Blue Ridge Yamasaki

Oddometer: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmartin20 View Post
Hey so I just bought an 1150gs 5 months ago and I ride it daily to and from work and then also longer weekend rides, but not knowing or riding with others has made riding a little boring... I would love to see who's out there in the lynchburg area willing to hit the back roads on the BRP some weekend soon, or just go ride some curves.

Email is jmartin20.jm@gmail.com.

I work at Liberty so if you see me feel free to stop and chat!
Mava,

Thanks for the pictures. Looks like great terrain for the KLR.

JM Martin,

I have been riding the forest service roads around here just about every fair-weather weekend for the past 2-1/2 years. I'd be glad to give you a guided tour. Most of the stuff I ride would be great rides on the GS. Around here they are mostly light gravel, but If you're interested, I know all of the more technical trails around here too.

On a typical day, I usually head toward the parkway (on mostly dirt roads), and make about a 100-130 mile loop out and back to the house.

Yesterday, I rode about 250+ miles because I went to this "meet-n-greet":
http://advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=22331376&postcount=2154 and on the way back, I explored many back roads as I meandered back to Lynchburg.

Old 09-15-2013, 06:58 AM   #273
Mava OP
---

Oddometer: 158
JM, you don't happen to live off of Rivermont do you? I've seen someone near Randolph with what I think is an 1150GS from time to time. I work at LU too but haven't seen a GS parked where I park.

DRaley: I'd never been on the motorcross trails before. I got to a point where I had to turn around. It was far too difficult for a KLR running Shinko 705s and my ability. A smaller bike I'd be happy to try it on though.
Mava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:33 AM   #274
Jmartin20
Adventurer

Draley
I'd like to meet up sometime soon to take a tour. I have semi aggressive street tires now, but looking to get a set of knobbys soon. They work well on the gravel. I'm off this Thursday... Would that be a decent day? If not it'll be a couple weeks.

Mava,

No I don't live off Rivermont, but my wife works at a hospital there so I'm driving Rivermont once or twice a week. I think there's an ADV bike parked at a large house on the corner with black panniers, but I don't think it's a gs. I usually park by the police station in the upper lot right beside the entrance to the law school.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:18 PM   #275
Mava OP
---

Oddometer: 158
Quote:
Draley
I'd like to meet up sometime soon to take a tour. I have semi aggressive street tires now, but looking to get a set of knobbys soon. They work well on the gravel. I'm off this Thursday... Would that be a decent day? If not it'll be a couple weeks.

Mava,

No I don't live off Rivermont, but my wife works at a hospital there so I'm driving Rivermont once or twice a week. I think there's an ADV bike parked at a large house on the corner with black panniers, but I don't think it's a gs. I usually park by the police station in the upper lot right beside the entrance to the law school.
Ah, there's someone else I've seen regularly parked up near Randolph college on a GS. The bike you're referring to is almost certainly my KLR. Fits your overall description anyway. I'd be down for meeting up/riding/DRaley's tour at some point. I never have off on the weekdays though.

Mava screwed with this post 09-16-2013 at 04:33 PM
Mava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 04:42 PM   #276
draley
Blue Ridge Yamasaki

Quote:
Draley
Depending on the weather, I am planning on going on this camp/ride this weekend:

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=22321411&postcount=26079

Thursdays are no good for me anyway. I am only available to ride on weekends only, plus every other Fri.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:10 AM   #277
WayneJ
LFC/CCCCC

Oddometer: 5,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by draley View Post
Depending on the weather, I am planning on going on this camp/ride this weekend:

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=22321411&postcount=26079

The weather will be fine.
20% Smug Mug Credit
WayneJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:45 AM   #278
Jmartin20
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mava View Post
Ah, there's someone else I've seen regularly parked up near Randolph college on a GS. The bike you're referring to is almost certainly my KLR. Fits your overall description anyway. I'd be down for meeting up/riding/DRaley's tour at some point. I never have off on the weekdays though.
I can't tell you how many times I've driven by hoping someone was out by the bike so that I could stop and chat! So I work this sat from 10-6, prolly not gonna make it. But I'm always down for meeting up for a cup of coffee and swapping stories and insights.
Old 09-22-2013, 06:36 AM   #279
draley
Blue Ridge Yamasaki

Let's ride!

It looks like perfect weather today. I am going to be out there today kerplunking around in the forest somewhere. I'll probably head up to Amherst County because I like all the forest roads up there.

Send me an email to: rdraley@gmail.com if you want to join in. I'll send back my location.
Old 09-23-2013, 02:52 AM   #280
Rocktruggy03
No re-tread here...

Oddometer: 103
Mava I think I know what bike you're talking about on Rivermont. I have been seeing a GS parked at LU recently too.

I just started a new job and was pleasantly surprised to find no less then three new KLRs in the parking lot. I'm going to ride to work today and hope to bump into the owners. I might resort to leaving notes sooner than in expected. :-)

The weather has be awesome. I really hope at least a few of us can get together.

2008 KLR650
Rocktruggy03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 02:05 PM   #281
Rocktruggy03
No re-tread here...

So do any of you guys work in Forest at the plant?

2008 KLR650
Old 09-27-2013, 02:14 PM   #282
draley
Blue Ridge Yamasaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocktruggy03 View Post
So do any of you guys work in Forest at the plant?
I guess not. I live in Forest, but I don't know what "the plant" means.
Old 09-27-2013, 02:17 PM   #283
Rocktruggy03
No re-tread here...

I'm talking about Teva Pharmaceutical. There are three new KLRs in the parking lot.

2008 KLR650
Old 09-27-2013, 02:37 PM   #284
draley
Blue Ridge Yamasaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocktruggy03 View Post
I'm talking about Teva Pharmaceutical. There are three new KLRs in the parking lot.
Oh yeah. I've seen Teva, but I didn't know what it was.

I work at Big & Wonderful , Mt. Athos Rd.

There are 3 KLR's in the parking lot on a regular basis. But it looks to me that they don't ever go off slab.

When I ride, I can't wait to get off the slab. I don't take mine to work, I take mine to the mountains.
Old 09-27-2013, 02:39 PM   #285
Rocktruggy03
No re-tread here...

Same here but with a newborn I don't think I'll get off road much any time soon.

What is Big and Wonderful?

2008 KLR650