User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2012, 12:15 PM   #1
Craneguy OP
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,028
Thumb Mexico - Butterfly Migration Feb '13

A few of us are planning a trip in February 2013 (duration unknown, 3 to 5 days probably) to see the millions of migrating Monarch butterflies in Michoacán. (between Guadalajara and Queretaro)

If anyone's interested in coming along, post here and I'll keep you up to date. It's supposed to be quite a sight.

http://www.mexconnect.com/articles/1...michoac%C3%A1n

Craneguy screwed with this post 11-26-2012 at 12:23 PM
Craneguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:02 PM   #2
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,341
I'd love to do that; those are some of my favorite little creatures. They come through our ranch on the way down. Some years you can look up and see thousands of them as far up as the eye can see.
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:36 AM   #3
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,767
I can suggest a hotel there-I need to look it up. Several there are pricey & not as nice as the price either & also full of bus groups but this one is newer & good restaurant too. Stay posted. The "hike" up is a cool one so have a jacket. Maybe a mile or two from where you park. Typically commercialized "Mexican style" for the part of the walk that's private land then in the high altitude firs from there. Rangers are up there to insure it's quiet & not people bothering the Monarchs. I'd allow a ~1/2 day to go up. Also a nice area to look for narco types-LOL! It's one of their main locales there in Michoacan but also friendly locals that will treat you right. Don't go to the hotel on S.Bakkers list in town as the old grouch that runs it may bite you-I found him on his bad day & he same as ran me off for just for asking about a room!
If you haven't read about them- they are very endangered as the milkweed plant here in USA that they need for their life cycle is less available due to roadside spraying & various other activities,pesticides/ herbicide use that encroach on them,so less Monarchs every year. See them while you can I suppose...
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:06 AM   #4
Craneguy OP
British Hooligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
I can suggest a hotel there-I need to look it up. Several there are pricey & not as nice as the price either & also full of bus groups but this one is newer & good restaurant too. Stay posted. The "hike" up is a cool one so have a jacket. Maybe a mile or two from where you park. Typically commercialized "Mexican style" for the part of the walk that's private land then in the high altitude firs from there. Rangers are up there to insure it's quiet & not people bothering the Monarchs. I'd allow a ~1/2 day to go up. Also a nice area to look for narco types-LOL! It's one of their main locales there in Michoacan but also friendly locals that will treat you right. Don't go to the hotel on S.Bakkers list in town as the old grouch that runs it may bite you-I found him on his bad day & he same as ran me off for just for asking about a room!
If you haven't read about them- they are very endangered as the milkweed plant here in USA that they need for their life cycle is less available due to roadside spraying & various other activities,pesticides/ herbicide use that encroach on them,so less Monarchs every year. See them while you can I suppose...
Good information, thanks!
Old 11-27-2012, 11:12 AM   #5
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,576
I'd love to come down there if my schedule permits. I wanna see those things.
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:49 AM   #6
Craneguy OP
British Hooligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark883 View Post
I'm only going so I can add to the extensive collection of exotic fauna that's welded to the front of my bike and riding gear.

David Attenborough could do a whole series based on the creatures stuck to the front of my bike.

Planet Vstrom?
Old 11-28-2012, 04:37 AM   #7
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,121
It's been cancelled this year. The undocumented air travelers are now on the "no fly" list of US Homeland Security.
Someone had to put a stop to the inherent danger of a "butterfly jihad".

Don't believe me, do you?

Well, look at how those Canadian geese put old Captain Sully to the test on the Hudson!

They lurk among us and only fear some 00 buckshot and a drunk hunter or two. Maybe Dick Cheney?

Public Enemy #1

Ringleader of Al QuackQuack
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:05 AM   #8
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,767
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark883 View Post
The basic scene is high alt. mature fir forest with jillions of monarchs hanging from the limbs above you with wings folded and they are jittering as if they are also as cold as you are. Picture a misty fog swirling and about 45/50 deg farenheit temps. Actually not so colorful as the backside of the wings is more subdued & then you have the rangers there to protect them by making sure you don't talk too loud or do some other stupid thing I guess such as throw something,whatever. The pathway up is at first private & "highly entrepreneurial" what with food,baskets,all the regular stuff. I did see some very nicely crafted pine needle baskets there. They are much like the ones still found in SE USA(my wife has been collecting baskets until recently had enough for ever & a day...) & I bought a nice tortilla basket there with lid. Lots of "guides" that you don't need too as all thats involved is walking upwards until you reach the top-which is fine for anyone that has "normal" fitness but obviously not a heart attack prone person. The village below will charge you to gain access then the parking lot will get theirs & then the actual govmt. will sell you a ticket where the trail starts. The same area has lots of greenhouses in the valleys where they raise poinsettas for the wholesale trade. And of course something else thats profitable- nearby.
It might be worth surfing the net a bit before you go to determine which other spots give you access to the monarchs but I suspect that Mexicans have found a way to glean some cash out of that spot too.
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:23 AM   #9
Craneguy OP
British Hooligan

There's supposed to be several places to see them. It's more about the ride for me.
We are suspicious of anyone with a "destination" It's not the ADV way! ;)

I might have my family meet me there. The kids will get a kick out of it and my wife also has a basket addiction :)
Old 11-28-2012, 06:26 AM   #10
Craneguy OP
British Hooligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post

Ringleader of Al QuackQuack
Is that where the phrase "duck and cover" comes from?

Now if we could strap 0.001 grams of "product" to each one for the return trip... hmmm?
Old 11-28-2012, 10:31 AM   #11
gring0loc0
lane splitter

Oddometer: 30
Is the trip you're planning going to be from Cuernavaca to Michoacan? If so, I'm in!
gring0loc0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:55 AM   #12
Craneguy OP
British Hooligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gring0loc0 View Post
Is the trip you're planning going to be from Cuernavaca to Michoacan? If so, I'm in!
That's the plan. So far it's two of us from Cuerna and MikeMike from Vera Cruz (but he doesn't know it yet) :-D

Craneguy screwed with this post 11-28-2012 at 11:03 AM
Craneguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:28 PM   #13
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Well I guess I do now!
Old 11-29-2012, 07:15 PM   #14
Craneguy OP
British Hooligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Well I guess I do now!
Oh hi Mike! So, are you in? I'm sort of hijacking Doug's plan. You know how he feels about group rides! :)
Old 11-30-2012, 10:03 AM   #15
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Will there be: dirt roads, gravel roads, naked women, cold beer, along with the butterfly migration?

Or will it be cuotas, cussing, cursing, carsick kiddies (yours and mine), and a visit to Liverpool or Palacio de Hierro, followed by sushi, siestas, and the butterflies?

We are men, manly men, we are our own men, and we have choices.
We can do this either way. Well, sort of, if our wives let us!