Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Tejas and the Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2012, 07:20 AM   #16
Meriden
Yea whatever

Oddometer: 656
Thanks. Can't say that I ever had an Austin Zip Code, but I've been in and out of there for the past four decades and still like the town as much as any in Texas. In the 70s we used to drive in for dates on Friday nights and then hit lake Travis or Hamilton Pool the next day. Just an old hipneck I guess.

Most of my family and friends are Longhorns mourning Darrel Royal. The wife chose UT over the other prominent school because the kids that went to UT didn't come home to small town Texas on the weekends. That says alot about the culture in those days. In fairness Austin still tops the live music scene.

I'll drop you a PM so if you're ever headed that way we can get some riding in. I'm a little closer to Austin than the Bayou, but you have to pass my house to get there.

m

All those people whining about being underpaid today were simply overpaid yesterday.
Meriden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:12 AM   #17
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Oddometer: 4,250
I've been riding down to San Antonio from Michigan on my Pacific Coast in April for the last few years. Once you get to Missouri it becomes a fun trip. I go through NW Ark to the Talimena Parkway to Fort Worth and then get the heck away from I-35. Its just too crazy to ride the interstate any further. I go west of FW and take 281 the rest of the way south. Most of the back roads in Texas are posted at 70mph and that keeps the riding interesting. The Hill Country is a great place to explore in the spring. So much to see and do. I've only been to downtown Austin one time. If you can handle crowds and traffic its a fun place. If I go down on the bike this year the moto race is a must do.
exoff-roadgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:05 AM   #18
FotoTEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,719
As far as the Slat Lick, I have been eating there a long time and still think it has great BBQ. Yea, it has alot of Tourist's as it also has alot of Californians/ escapees in there brand new Cowboy Boots but I still like it. Have not tried Opies but will give it a try. I just really like the burnt ends of Brisket at Salt Lick.
FotoTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:26 PM   #19
Silver
Dirtnewb

Oddometer: 2,265
What about riding? Would be rad to come down a bit early and get in some riding Say Wed/Thur before the races. Would need to be dirt bike only type trails, not dual sport or street bike. Have a buddy that recommends hidden falls, but looked at the site and they only run from Thur-Sun?

Ideas?
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:29 PM   #20
c-zulu
Resident Dirt Burner

Oddometer: 1,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by exoff-roadgoat View Post
I've been riding down to San Antonio from Michigan on my Pacific Coast in April for the last few years. Once you get to Missouri it becomes a fun trip. I go through NW Ark to the Talimena Parkway to Fort Worth and then get the heck away from I-35. Its just too crazy to ride the interstate any further. I go west of FW and take 281 the rest of the way south. Most of the back roads in Texas are posted at 70mph and that keeps the riding interesting. The Hill Country is a great place to explore in the spring. So much to see and do. I've only been to downtown Austin one time. If you can handle crowds and traffic its a fun place. If I go down on the bike this year the moto race is a must do.

Interesting...I'll have to look at that route .
MOTO GUZZI STELVIO NTX---VICTORY KINGPIN TOUR
c-zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:39 PM   #21
GSAragazzi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by c-zulu View Post

Same here, i live in DFW and cant stand 35.

Its boring, full of semi and these day traffic is just horrible.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:48 PM   #22
Meriden
Yea whatever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
What about riding? Would be rad to come down a bit early and get in some riding Say Wed/Thur before the races. Would need to be dirt bike only type trails, not dual sport or street bike. Have a buddy that recommends hidden falls, but looked at the site and they only run from Thur-Sun?

Ideas?
Most of the riding around here is either street or high speed gravel. There are a couple of tracks and ranches like Hidden Falls, but that's about it. You might try Emma Long CIty park in Austin, Perfect Dirt in Bastrop or Sam Houston National Forest. You'll need to check availablility and may need an OHV sticker.

All those people whining about being underpaid today were simply overpaid yesterday.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:14 PM   #23
Kerfuffle
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 198
Is the tamale hut still there? Out by old Mueller airport. Used to be great for breakfast tacos.

As for going to MotoGP, think twice about giving COTA your money - they have recently canceled a bunch of track days and declined to rent the track to grass-roots motorsport groups.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:46 PM   #24
Meriden
Yea whatever

A couple of updates on the COTA track day debacle.

http://circuitoftheamericas.com/media-center

Pretty much says the same thing word for word.
http://www.autoweek.com/article/20121222/F1/121229952

I chatted with a couple of folks from the Austin Bimmer club during the F1 race who had looked into the track day prices. They were quoted $150K for a club weekend. I'm not sure that COTA will ever be the playground that some other tracks are.

Old 01-02-2013, 10:40 AM   #25
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Oddometer: 4,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by c-zulu View Post
West on 20 to Weatherford to Granbury to Glen Rose for BBQ and then to Hico for pie might be even a better route.
exoff-roadgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:18 AM   #26
Schickmeister
Youngin'

Oddometer: 2,672
Take it from a homegrown Jersey Boy...I'd move to Austin tomorrow if I had a job there.

You're gonna love it.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:08 PM   #27
10/10ths
Road Trip Fool

Oddometer: 924
He's right...

...Hico.....Pie.......mmmmmm.

Also, Bluebonnet Cafe in Marble Falls for pie.

2004 Honda RC51

2011 Suzuki GSX1250FA replaced my '04 Wee 2-14
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:43 AM   #28
ColoradoBigfoot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Wow! That's going to be one long ride. Drove car down for the F1 race. Austin is my HT and have made a few trips by car since moving to CO and always think it should be an easy drive but man, sure kicks your ass. If time is not a factor I say go through NM over to Lubbock then approach Austin from the west (Leakey, Camp Wood, Bandera, etc.). Cannot imagine how boring it would be on a bike riding from Raton to Amarillo...unless your going 90+mph
Don't even try to bring dirt bike, especially if you're used to our Colorado "freedom".... very few public riding areas in Texas.

Food?......Migas!!!! El Mercado, South First St.
Good Times?.....Continental Club, South Congress Av. or my favorite, The Texas Chilli Parlor, 15th and Lavaca downtown.

The COTA is very spectator friendly. Grandstand seat also gives access to all general admission areas around the track. I'm going to MotoGP as well...but by plane
ColoradoBigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:47 AM   #29
ColoradoBigfoot
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meriden View Post
A couple of updates on the COTA track day debacle.

http://circuitoftheamericas.com/media-center

Pretty much says the same thing word for word.
http://www.autoweek.com/article/20121222/F1/121229952

I chatted with a couple of folks from the Austin Bimmer club during the F1 race who had looked into the track day prices. They were quoted $150K for a club weekend. I'm not sure that COTA will ever be the playground that some other tracks are.
Track rental is $50k for 24hrs (up to 24 people). This includes track support (EMS?) and access to paddock.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:58 AM   #30
ColoradoBigfoot
Gnarly Adventurer

Ooops! Your not from Colorado...I'm such a dumb ass
Been doing stupid things like this all year........last night at dog training class the instructor was talking about dogs w/ bandana's and how they need to have space because of behavioral problems. Guess I was not paying attention there as well because I raised my hand and said "just because a dog wears a bandana it has problems?" She said "yes" and I replied that I though a dog with a bandana was more of a hippy-dog than a killing machine. It was then that she informed me that the training facility puts the bandana on the dogs in class that have issues.

I need to ride more

Sorry.