User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2012, 01:44 PM   #1
ZBone OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316
Thanksgiving in Moab

All right, I've never done one of these ride reports before so prepare for a disaster...

I've lived in Western, CO for 2 1/2 years now and I had never made it out to Moab. This is only my second year of riding but all ready I'm hooked. I'm an avid snowboarder, and for the first time in my life I've actually been disappointed at winters arrival. I really didn't want to put my baby up. I decided if weather permitted, I'd make a quick trip out to Moab over the long Thanksgiving weekend. Fortunately, it did and I headed west Wednesday around noon.

I had heard that the Moab Information Center could answer any and all questions about trails so I didn't do a lot of research before taking off. Much to my chagrin, the MIC closes early on Wednesdays and obviously wouldn't be open on Thursday. I decided to go find a camp site, some food and firewood, and start checking the boards here for good rides in the area. I found a bunch of campsites off of SH128 which was perfect. Close enough to town to grab supplies without feeling like I was camping in an RV park. I even ended up camping to a fellow advrider and his family. (If you're reading this, it was great chatting with you Byways!)

Cooler.

Had to make a run for firewood..

I had my eyes on "The Top of the World" and figured I'd start off with that. I probably should have left it for later in the trip as it was certainly the highlight, both in the riding to get there and the view. Laid the bike down twice, had to build some rock ramps up some of the rock shelves, but made it to the top and wow. What a view.

After spending a little more time at the top, I headed back down towards Moab.

I thought I'd go grab some food from City Market, but of course they were closed on Thanksgiving. I was a little worried I was going to be eating Clif bars and pistachios for Thanksgiving, but I ventured a little further down the road and found the Moab Brewery open. Even better, they were serving turkey dinners and they did not disappoint.

With a full belly, I headed back to camp and got some rest for the next day. I'm going to leave things here for now and hopefully come back and post the rest. I honestly don't have much for pictures after this. I was having too much fun riding to stop and take pictures. I think a helmet cam is a necessity for the next trip.

ZBone screwed with this post 12-11-2012 at 09:38 AM
ZBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:55 PM   #2
windhorse
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Pissed Great place

Spent Memorial Day weekend 2011 loved the place great rides and views.
Did you ride pucker pass?
windhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:25 PM   #3
BigDave75
Will Work for Food!

Oddometer: 1,730
Great Pics!
Old 12-10-2012, 02:38 PM   #4
ZBone OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I didn't ride Pucker. Should I check that out next time? I rode Gemini Bridges, Bull Canyon, Potash Road/Shafer Trail, Chicken Corners, and Top of the World.. obviously. I had planned to hit all of White Rim but my bike was starting funny and walking 30+ miles didn't sound like something I wanted to do.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:17 PM   #5
diverdown
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Moab

Hello ZBone, by the looks of your bike and your time frame Im pretty sure we meet you on the switch backs of the shafer trail, I was the canadian on the KLR with my wife and the chihuahua three up. awesome report, wish I could figure out how to post pictures, working on that,when I was there I bought a contour roam helmet cam and made a ton of videos, I rode pucker pass was interesting but ok. do it up to down. I did it and then the shafer trail again, might want to check out Hurrah pass and Kane creek, that was fun. also the mineral bottom road, more switch backs along with the spring canyon bottom road that leads into the Hi-Jo mine, just got back home here on the 7th, left the bike and toyhauler there and will go back mid jan.to bad we did not exchange contact info, maybe we could have done some rides together, Was a pleasure to meet you, ride safe fellow inmate. Robert. (AKA diverdown)
diverdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:37 AM   #6
ZBone OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by diverdown View Post
Hello ZBone, by the looks of your bike and your time frame Im pretty sure we meet you on the switch backs of the shafer trail, I was the canadian on the KLR with my wife and the chihuahua three up. awesome report, wish I could figure out how to post pictures, working on that,when I was there I bought a contour roam helmet cam and made a ton of videos, I rode pucker pass was interesting but ok. do it up to down. I did it and then the shafer trail again, might want to check out Hurrah pass and Kane creek, that was fun. also the mineral bottom road, more switch backs along with the spring canyon bottom road that leads into the Hi-Jo mine, just got back home here on the 7th, left the bike and toyhauler there and will go back mid jan.to bad we did not exchange contact info, maybe we could have done some rides together, Was a pleasure to meet you, ride safe fellow inmate. Robert. (AKA diverdown)
Hey Robert! I am definitely the guy. Glad you found me on here. Posting pictures is kind of a pain in the butt, but I finally figured it out. There's a couple forum posts on here that run through it. I thought Shafer was a great ride. I would have liked to have ridden it one more time before I left. I did Hurrah Pass, and possibly Kane Creek. I just wandered that day and was never quite sure exactly where I was. All the sand out there was a blast. Probably not as fun 3 up though... I know, I wish we would have thought about that. It would have been nice to have someone to ride with. Glad you guys had fun and got home ok. It was a pleasure meeting you too, and enjoy the rest of your adventure!
Old 12-11-2012, 11:29 AM   #7
diverdown
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Moab

Hey ZBone, when we were talking you said you would like to come up and do some riding, check out the Trans Canada Adventure Trail( TCAT) at www.graveltravel.ca they just put up routes and pictures of the British Columbia section. runs through my back yard, you have a place to stay anytime,keep my contact info, if you make it up contact me if you need anything. diverdown
diverdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:54 PM   #8
ZBone OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by diverdown View Post
Hey ZBone, when we were talking you said you would like to come up and do some riding, check out the Trans Canada Adventure Trail( TCAT) at www.graveltravel.ca they just put up routes and pictures of the British Columbia section. runs through my back yard, you have a place to stay anytime,keep my contact info, if you make it up contact me if you need anything. diverdown
That would be awesome, diverdown. I'm trying to figure out my summer plans but riding in Canada is high on my list of to-do's. I'll actually be on the east coast come summer, but I don't think I'll be riding the whole TCAT any time soon, unless I win the lottery. I had thought about possibly shipping my bike out to the northwest. I need to look into pricing and go from there. If it does work out I'll let you know! ZBone