User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2012, 07:15 PM   #16
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer: 1,633

21ST Century model - Modern

One is not supposed to leave the motorcycle during flight. Classical blunder with obsolete machinery.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:35 PM   #17
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Oddometer: 47,395
Round headlights from factory = classic.

Points ignition = antique

Bark tires = SFR
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:20 AM   #18
stefan tilden
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Good one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazbird View Post
Classic: a bike where you can see the engine and easily do most, if not all, of the maintenance, which often times meant relatively frequently.

Modern: a bike where you frequently can't see the engine and have a difficult time doing any of the maintenance, which often means relatively infrequently.
I like this one. Picking various design elements doesn't work as well as this in general....
stefan tilden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:36 AM   #19
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,774
Design elements don't work for my definition. Function works for me. As in if it works like crap but looks good it is classic. If it works well but looks like crap then it is modern.

This bike has modern design elements but was decidedly not modern by my own personal metric. Yes, it had a single shock and disk brake. But that just made it modern in 1986. By my "modern" standards the shock sucked and the disk brake may as well have been made out of wood.

All it took was one back to back ride with my 640 through whoops to make the lack of function abundantly clear to me. I still like that bike despite the shortcomings. I just don't want to ever ride one offroad again. Instead I will go with the modern bike that is ugly as sin but works well.

Grreatdog screwed with this post 11-30-2012 at 06:41 AM
Grreatdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 05:16 AM   #20
Coma
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
nononono

You guys have it wrong.

Classic = A bike I might have bought new when I was 20.

Modern = A bike my Grandson buys new.

Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 03:31 PM   #21
OurDee
n00b

Oddometer: 4

That is modern

This is classic
OurDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 04:06 PM   #22
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,697
In my own opinion, a classic anything is a timeless design. It always looks good regardless of time. If it didn't really look good then it may not rate classic status, although there are exceptions.

Classics would be like a Z1, a 916, CBX, XLCH, T120, Lightning, M42 Pursang, VFR, V-Max, Penton, many others.

Modern is as others say. A modern can have classic status, like a W650 or SR400, or one of my favorites....

the classic little black dress:

old or new - always classic!

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 05:08 PM   #23
ChadHahn
Gnarly Adventurer

I agree that classic probably wasn't the best term. There's a difference between classic and old. A Pinto is old, a 911T is classic.

Chad
ChadHahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 06:28 PM   #24
Rgconner
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 561
If it pisses oil on your leg... it is a classic.
Old 08-22-2014, 07:26 PM   #25
ChadHahn
Gnarly Adventurer

I've been thinking about getting a Ural, but then I think to all the classic cars and motorcycles I've owned and wonder if I want another vehicle where I'll spend as much time tinkering as riding.

Chad
Old 08-22-2014, 07:57 PM   #26
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,231
Classic - where you have the time, spare finances, and a laissez-faire attitude to go for a tour.
Modern - where you have a schedule and none of the other attributes listed above.
chazbird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 01:11 AM   #27
Wraith Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,110
modern = state of the art technology

So atm modern means at least ABS, TC, EFI, upside down fork or similar, 100+Nm per litre engine displacement, Euro4 or similar emissions rating, LED lighting and so on.

Actually, many bikes built nowadays aren't modern bikes, at least not in all aspects.
Old 08-23-2014, 01:52 AM   #28
catweasel67
Banned

Oddometer: 8,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith Rider View Post
modern = state of the art technology

So atm modern means at least ABS, TC, EFI, upside down fork or similar, 100+Nm per litre engine displacement, Euro4 or similar emissions rating, LED lighting and so on.

Actually, many bikes built nowadays aren't modern bikes, at least not in all aspects.
I'd go with that as a reasonable definition of "modern".

As for classic, that's a somewhat tougher definition to pin down, especially once you start thinking about it but...if I had to give it a go I'd say that...err....hmmmm....*ponder*....nope, not that one...or that..bugger.

I lean towards things like the Commando, the Bonneville, the Le Mans, my AT (well, OK, maybe not mine, but "the")...and so on. Bikes with enduring value and attraction...

Is the VFR a classic? Part of me wants to say yes, but most of me says no. How about the BMW GS? The Fireblade? the ZZR100? the RSV4R?

Buggrit - they're all memorable, never to be forgotten bikes - so I'm gonna come down on the "there's way to define a classic but you'll know one when you see one" side of the fence.
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 02:08 AM   #29
ChadHahn
Gnarly Adventurer

Thinking on it, I think that anything after the mid 90's is Modern. I own a '99 Dodge, a '99 GS1100 and a '94 Jeep. Everyone of them start up and run with out any work on my part. I can let each one sit for weeks and decide that I want to drive one and not have to have a backup plan, I get in turn the key (or press the start button) and do what I have to do. The only time I have to do maintenance is when it's time to change the oil or spark plugs or something similar.

Chad
Old 08-23-2014, 04:35 AM   #30
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by catweasel67 View Post
I'd go with that as a reasonable definition of "modern".

As for classic, that's a somewhat tougher definition to pin down, especially once you start thinking about it but...if I had to give it a go I'd say that...err....hmmmm....*ponder*....nope, not that one...or that..bugger.

I lean towards things like the Commando, the Bonneville, the Le Mans, my AT (well, OK, maybe not mine, but "the")...and so on. Bikes with enduring value and attraction...

Is the VFR a classic? Part of me wants to say yes, but most of me says no. How about the BMW GS? The Fireblade? the ZZR100? the RSV4R?

Buggrit - they're all memorable, never to be forgotten bikes - so I'm gonna come down on the "there's way to define a classic but you'll know one when you see one" side of the fence.

Part of it is personal opinion. You see that in the automobile world. Some cars have become a bit classic, now the top ones are iconic.

As for the VFR, it has a fair amount to do with the character. Still top notch sport tourers. That's why Honda returned to the premise this year. The other thing that guides my opinion on classic is if it still just plain looks good. The VFRs from around 92 just look right. An 85 GSXR looks old and an 87 CBR600F looks bulky and old. The ZR1100/1200 has a classic look that will always look right. The Z1000 not so much.

Of course now I realize the OP really was looking more at the bikes as the amount of tech in them. I think it is more like average modern versus cutting edge modern versus low tech modern.

It is still all a bit confusing since some bikes have cutting edge and low tech all in one. Cruisers can muddle the issue a lot.

At that point I'm out of the conversation, too "muddled" for me.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is online now   Reply With Quote