ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2012, 02:59 PM   #31
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmonkeybut View Post
That is where this show started. I have gone to this show off and on for nearly 20 years. It takes 6 hours to get there from here unless you take the train. The train takes forever. I have seen major changes over the years including growing out of room, Moving to the bigger facility, the effects of a crappy economy and many more. As with most things in life it is all a matter of perspective. Depending on your perspective you may be seriously disappointed with the show. If you have any doubt go ahead and stay home, that way your ass won't be in my way. We make a weekend out of it and have always had a memorable time. It's a "Motorcycle Event" how bad can that be? There used to be a Jazzersize class under the Convention Center. One year while waiting in line for the doors to open we were standing in line outside the class windows. A bunch of us decided to get in formation and join the class from our side of the glass. It was funny as hell even after the instructor came outside and chewed our asses. Indoor Go Cart Racing is also something that has been a blast in past years. We will hit the Ice Racing this time around and seek out some great food and beers while we are there. What a horrible way to have to spend a weekend. Go to the show or don't...whatever.....whining about it doesn't support the industry.
Very well said Oldmonkeybut

I drive over from Spokane and have never been disappointed. I have always had fun because it's a motorcycle event. I too have seen many changes but that doesn't make it bad, just different. The first one I attended was in Tacoma and I was a wide eyed young thing (that too has changed).

Even if you pay $10 for parking and $15 at the door for entrance that's only $25 and I sure get $25 of entertainment out of showing up there. I get to look at all those purdy shiny motorcycles, talk to other motorcyclists, perhaps take in a seminar or two and maybe even learn something.

The show isn't for everyone. Some people go there to get a killer deal and if what they want isn't being given away then the show sucks. Or some people go to see the latest model a manufacture has out or soon to be out but they aren't always there so the show sucks. Their favorite manufacture isn't there so the show sucks. The list goes on.

For me I have a lot more reasons to go than not to go.

This year I told myself to ignore any thread about this subject because it frustrates me but it's like a train wreck, you don't want to see it but you look anyway.

Monkeybut, if you spot me there be sure to say hi.
"Be real careful which and who's dream you get caught up in!!!" ~ Jettn Jim
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:15 PM   #32
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,587
I always enjoy looking at new bikes and it's cool to see some old friends. The show has dipped in quality a bit in recent years, but I think it's making a comeback, BMW and KTM are both on the manufacvturers represented list. I've been going since long ago. Smarty Pants has some great food and beer and usually bike racing on video.

SVN/XRR/Christini
PeteN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:57 PM   #33
guns_equal_freedom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeMcD View Post
If you're looking for the best value in a Pacific Northwest regional show, this is the ticket: Vancouver Motorcycle Show - January 17-20, 2013.
I went to that show back in 1992, that was the year that Suzuki released the water-cooled GSXR750 to Canada but not the USA.

I got every brochure and every bit on technical information on the bike that I could find and sent it To John Ulrich.

American Suzuki would not release any information on the water cooled 750.

Ulrich published the entire sales brochure and a lot of the technical data I had given him.

American Suzuki was not too happy about that.
guns_equal_freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:10 AM   #34
HotChilliColdBeer
Human Swizzle Stick

Oddometer: 289
Discounted tickets

If you're interested in saving $5 on the cost of the ticket -

Go to motorcycleshows.com, at checkout enter the code PRG5WA

It'll pay for your first beer at Smaty Pants.

Charlie
HotChilliColdBeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:23 AM   #35
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Thanks for the discount code.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:52 PM   #36
WeeMcD
V-Strom explorer

Oddometer: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by guns_equal_freedom View Post
I went to that show back in 1992, that was the year that Suzuki released the water-cooled GSXR750 to Canada but not the USA.

I got every brochure and every bit on technical information on the bike that I could find and sent it To John Ulrich.

Ulrich published the entire sales brochure and a lot of the technical data I had given him.

Who is John Ulrich? Remember... I didn't grow up around here so I don't know everyone. I have a feeling I'm going to get harrassed for not knowing this.

"When all else fails get a bigger hammer."
WeeMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:40 PM   #37
guns_equal_freedom
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Who is John Ulrich? Remember... I didn't grow up around here so I don't know everyone. I have a feeling I'm going to get harrassed for not knowing this.
http://www.roadracingworld.com/
Old 12-02-2012, 06:09 PM   #38
Chris6_85
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by guns_equal_freedom View Post

John Ulrich from Oak Harbor? i know of a John in Oak harbor. i also worked with a john Ulrich
Chris6_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:55 PM   #39
Chuckanut
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
Quote:
If you're looking for the best value in a Pacific Northwest regional show, this is the ticket: Vancouver Motorcycle Show - January 17-20, 2013.

Now don't get me wrong, I want the Seattle show to be awesome and have paid good money supporting it. Unfortunately, the value has been wrung out of that show in recent years.
I agree totally, the Vancouver show is about twice the size of Seattle, way more bikes and events, and really easy to get to.

Tom

Something deep and witty goes here.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:30 PM   #40
guns_equal_freedom
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris6_85 View Post
John Ulrich from Oak Harbor? i know of a John in Oak harbor. i also worked with a john Ulrich
No, John Ulrich the motorcycle racer and publisher of Roadracing World.
Like in the link.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:54 PM   #41
rc10driver
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
I'll be going on Sunday rain or shine. Riding from Arlington. Been to the last 2 shows and had a great time. Taking a day off for it.
rc10driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:49 PM   #42
some call me...tim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 277
Thinking about going to this, I've meant to in past years but found out about it the weekend after or just spaced it off. Is there any reason you'd want to go on one day instead of another?
some call me...tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:08 AM   #43
Rob.G OP
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,130
I'd say it would depend on the seminars and if you care to attend any. I'm a bit on the fence now about going. I think I'll wait and let the weather and my state of mind at the time dictate it. The Euro show sounds nice. The Vancouver one too, but I don't have a passport and don't see having one before then, so that's out for me.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:27 PM   #44
Rob.G OP
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,130
I just booked a room at the Marriott up in Lake Union for Friday night (got a deal using my rewards number). Figure I'll ride up Friday morning, relax for a bit, then go hit the show when it opens. Who all will be there on Friday? Maybe we can all hook up for dinner or something.

BTW.. will there be demo rides? The Long Beach show has always had them from various manufacturers, but you had to get there damn early to sign up for them... I was never there early enough.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:46 PM   #45
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

I don't recall Seattle ever having demo rides. I think the chance of snow and ice keeps them from trying to offer the rides.

Has anyone found a seminar schedule? I looked on the website the other day but I couldn't find it?