Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2012, 12:55 PM   #16
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 9,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowRide13 View Post
I think the stock seat is pretty cushy! I think he will, too, coming from the 450.

I just installed a Seat Concepts kit for my 12 690R. Mondo better! The stocker was too soft and really did me a job after an hour or two.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:11 PM   #17
The Draft OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
I think the stock seat is pretty cushy! I think he will, too, coming from the 450.
Now you guys really know how to get a man excited! Start sending pictures!
Mountain biking is my other hobby!! Love it.
The Draft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:41 PM   #18
The Draft OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxrider11 View Post
Draft - give me a shout if you want a guided tour of the Michigan MCCCT trails. I ride a 2012 690 Enduro R.

I am in the Grand Rapids area, and we day ride starting near White Cloud and ride the ORV, single track, MCCCT two-tracks, Forestry roads, and snowmobile routes up to Baldwin & Boon.

We also dualsport ride the Allegan woods and Gun Lake/Yankee Springs area.

The 690 Enduro R is the perfect bike for this type of exploring. Our typical ride is about 150+ miles.

Awesome I might just take you up on this!! Great looking bike do you want to sell it!
Old 11-28-2012, 04:30 AM   #19
zxrider11
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Draft, I sent you a PM.
zxrider11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:35 AM   #20
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,393
Quote:
Hmmmm, I couldn't tell the difference between my stock 450 and 690 seat. they both equally sucked!!

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:28 AM   #21
GAS GUY
MILE EATER

Oddometer: 2,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by zxrider11 View Post
Draft - give me a shout if you want a guided tour of the Michigan MCCCT trails. I ride a 2012 690 Enduro R.

I am in the Grand Rapids area, and we day ride starting near White Cloud and ride the ORV, single track, MCCCT two-tracks, Forestry roads, and snowmobile routes up to Baldwin & Boon.

We also dualsport ride the Allegan woods and Gun Lake/Yankee Springs area.

The 690 Enduro R is the perfect bike for this type of exploring. Our typical ride is about 150+ miles.

Those are the best trails, probably in the state.
A few years ago I rode the MCCCT from Whitecloud to just north of the Big O,and that was just awsome.Check out my old thread "18 hour day on a Klr" in daytrippin on advrider for some sweet pictures of that trail.Hopefully the pictures are still there.Here is a link. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=663295
This year I rode the MCCCT from Caberfae to ,I believe, Lincoln Bridge on a KTM 450.If you go north you go to Boon.That is some sweet single track also but more tight and technical.
IBA # 23,716
http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/

GAS GUY screwed with this post 11-28-2012 at 11:08 AM
GAS GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:05 PM   #22
Sliverpicker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post

I just installed a Seat Concepts kit for my 12 690R. Mondo better! The stocker was too soft and really did me a job after an hour or two.
So tell me---How did it go stapling the new cover to the carbon fiber seat pan ? I had one hell of a time with that and finally took it to an upholstery shop---- he also had a hard time with that hard ass seat pan.

Looks good though and much--much better on the ass !
Sliverpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:13 PM   #23
The Draft OP
Adventurer

The DR is looking pritty good and CHEAP!

Why not go there!!
Old 12-06-2012, 06:28 AM   #24
ScottyD
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Have you checked out the Yamaha XT660Z Tenere yet? My requirements are sort of similar, and I'm so happy with the Tenere. Perfect all-rounder, straight out of the box.
ScottyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:36 AM   #25
The Draft OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyD View Post
Have you checked out the Yamaha XT660Z Tenere yet? My requirements are sort of similar, and I'm so happy with the Tenere. Perfect all-rounder, straight out of the box.
No I have not looking into this but I will. Thank you.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:47 AM   #26
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyD View Post
Perfect? One of the heaviest singles in the world, weighs almost 90 lbs more than a DR and even more than a 950 SE that has double the horsepower. The engine is pretty anemic and somewhat vibey at highway speeds, although not horribly so. Reliability record is pretty good, I'll give it that.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:44 AM   #27
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 9,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan690 View Post
So tell me---How did it go stapling the new cover to the carbon fiber seat pan ? I had one hell of a time with that and finally took it to an upholstery shop---- he also had a hard time with that hard ass seat pan.

Looks good though and much--much better on the ass !
After spending some $25 on a staple gun and staples, I finally took it to an upholstery guy too, and he did a great job for an additional $75.

Oh well, it looks nice and it is very comfy, so I'm happy.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:12 AM   #28
The Draft OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
Perfect? One of the heaviest singles in the world, weighs almost 90 lbs more than a DR and even more than a 950 SE that has double the horsepower. The engine is pretty anemic and somewhat vibey at highway speeds, although not horribly so. Reliability record is pretty good, I'll give it that.
Oh my!!
Old 12-06-2012, 12:20 PM   #29
trainman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
The group of guys that I ride with rode the CD on just about all the bikes you listed. The bikes that went were, not sure of how many of each, but I'm guessing here, 2-KTM 690's, 4-KLR 650's, 3-DRZ 400's, 3-BMW 650 (X-Challenge & X-Country), 2-WR 250's, 2-KTM 450's, and possibly a few others oddballs. The conclusion is, all bikes and riders finished, some riders a little bruised up and some bikes a little beat up. On some days some riders wish they had a bigger bike and on some days they wish they had a lighter bike. So there is really no correct bike, but pick a bike that is in your budget and skill level. Remember it's not a race, just surviving a 125-200 miles per day ride can do you in right quick.
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:05 PM   #30
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Draft View Post
What a great forum! I have been reading a little about everything from guys out on the trail for years; from day trips to forums about every bike I can find! This is great!!

Im a noob and looking for a little help.
Current ride: KTM 2007 450 sx-f. First offroad bike in 29 years and having a blast.
I like hard woods riding and squeezed in one hair scramble race; had fun. I Moto a little for handling skills.

Now myself and two friends are dreaming of riding the Continental Divide this year and this is where you all come in.

I am looking for a fun, powerful bike that can handle hard off road riding, but will still put a smile on my face commuting to work 28 miles each way.

Here is a list I have been looking at:
KTM 690 Enduro-R
KTM 690 SMC
KTM 530 EXC
WR 450
KLR
DR
XLR

and I am over my head.
Most DS bikes with some range would be fine for the ride. The commute mileage is going to cost with a performance machine though...time and/or money. A bike that blows through gas, oil, tires, chains, valves, bearings, etc., is going to get old quick. A bike that vibes like a paint shaker will suck. DR works for me. You may want a dirtier bike or a fancy fairing. That's up to you. I like having up to 500 miles of range, a smooth torquey motor, and great parts availability.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote